Sarah Everard

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been thinking a lot about this, when I was at school for half a term all the girls in my year did self defence. The boys didn’t they did regular PE. During these classes we were taught what to do if attacked and grabbed in multiple different ways, ways to protect yourself like keeping hairspray next to the bed or in your bag, ways to throw people off by making your presence known whilst walking etc. The boys were not told how to make women feel comfortable, how to keep an eye out for women who are being followed, how to protect women. They were allowed to kick a ball around. Why is this the norm? Why are we teaching 14 year old girls how to protect themselves but not 14 year old boys how to not make women feel uncomfortable?
Terrible 😣

Schools can’t do everything. Parents must take some responsibility here. Someone’s son has been out there and murdered a woman who was just walking home. A class on it in school may not have as big as impact as we would wish. Morals and values, rights and wrongs come from parents and are instilled in us from birth. The school has a role in backing this up obviously but it must be with everyone else. Not solely them
 
  • Like
Reactions: 15
Surely there would have been signs of this in work. If his line manager/colleagues suspected something or noticed unusual behaviour then it would have been dealt with immediately given his access to firearms?
Defo - so even if they claim this let’s hope that the reports that he was under surveillance for days before his arrest is true and that they can disregard any ‘insanity’ or whatever claims they come up with
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I’ve done that too. Waking up with no memory of how I got home, but safe in my own bed. Scares the absolute tit out of me now looking back. My friends and I thought it was a right laugh to get in that state, we were so naive.

Im going to be that parent picking my daughters up from night clubs/parties at 3am. duck it I’ll even take their friends home if it means they’re safe too. Even if they’re underage drinking I’d rather pick them up than them try and hide it by trying to make their own way home or something. I’m a night owl anyway so I have no problem staying up if it means my daughters get home safe. Never had that option with my own mum as she always got drunk and fell asleep.
Same, the amount of nights out I had where I left the club on my own and somehow made it home. I would walk through town to the taxi rank and sometimes even walk all the way home if they wouldn’t take me. I used to go back to strangers houses and go to house parties of people I barely knew. It all just seemed like normal student behaviour - but looking back I was so lucky. Even now as a 30 something I wouldn’t think much of walking back from a friends at 9.30pm if it was a busy main road but now even that feels so dangerous.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 22
I was 10 years old when a man flashed at me.
I was outside my house playing on a climbing frame which was within viewing distance of our kitchen window. I was waiting for my friends to finish their teas and come back out to join me. My dad and brothers ran after him but never did catch up to him.
I've had men grope me in nightclubs and had one man dancing behind me with his pen out.
It's absolutely appaling that us woman get treated like objects day in day out.
I have a 12 year old daughter and I don't want to let her out of my sight.
 
  • Sad
  • Like
Reactions: 24
I am not sure if others know this, I just learned it. On Whatsapp you can share your live location with a contact - click the + or paperclip (android) and select "share location" and "live." You can select how long you want to share it for.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I am not sure if others know this, I just learned it. On Whatsapp you can share your live location with a contact - click the + or paperclip (android) and select "share location" and "live." You can select how long you want to share it for.
I do this when I go on walks. I tend to walk about 10km at a time and I share my location with my husband as I’m out a while and end up a distance away from home.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I put an angry face to this which is in no way a reflection on you but the situation and the police officers reaction 🤬 how appauling. Xx
-TW- it was a few years ago when i was barely 19 and it was so traumatic, the man dragged me away from my friend group too before he committed his foul act on me, tried to take it further by dragging me to the door/taking my phone off me and then did that to my face because i told him to stop. we both got kicked out of the club and i ran to the police officer outside (it was in manchester city centre a few weeks after the bomb so he was armed too) who could see i was in distress and he told me that. i didn’t think anyone would take me seriously so i didn’t speak up, only to my mum who wanted to march me to the police station! xx
 
  • Like
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I’ve done that too. Waking up with no memory of how I got home, but safe in my own bed. Scares the absolute tit out of me now looking back. My friends and I thought it was a right laugh to get in that state, we were so naive.
It’s actually mad that so many of us admit to have done this - I did this as recently as December 2020 out in London (pre Christmas lockdown) ....and yes I/we shouldn’t get in these states. (Boozy Brunches never end well for me!!) But we also shouldn’t have able to worry about being murdered Incase we drink slightly too much you know. Bloody sad world we live in
 
  • Like
Reactions: 15
I also do wonder if if wasnt for lockdown would she have just got a taxi or a bus home... :(
 
  • Like
Reactions: 8
I do this when I go on walks. I tend to walk about 10km at a time and I share my location with my husband as I’m out a while and end up a distance away from home.
I will be doing it anytime I am out now.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Why would lockdown stop you from getting a taxi ??
Because we keep getting told to minimise our contact with people unless it’s essential, she may have felt guilty going to see her friend and didn’t want to get a taxi home so thought she would walk. Who knows.
 
  • Like
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
Because we keep getting told to minimise our contact with people unless it’s essential, she may have felt guilty going to see her friend and didn’t want to get a taxi home so thought she would walk. Who knows.
Fair enough , just wondering as I’ve been getting taxis since last March
 
I can’t stop thinking about it it’s so sad 😭 seen this doing the rounds on social media, I didn’t even know my phone could do this
E780BA31-499D-4668-98C6-EF94096DA801.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 12
Same, the amount of nights out I had where I left the club on my own and somehow made it home. I would walk through town to the taxi rank and sometimes even walk all the way home if they wouldn’t take me. I used to go back to strangers houses and go to house parties of people I barely knew. It all just seemed like normal student behaviour - but looking back I was so lucky. Even now as a 30 something I wouldn’t think much of walking back from a friends at 9.30pm if it was a busy main road but now even that feels so dangerous.
Same here and I can't believe how reckless I was as a teenager. I used to regularly walk home from nightclubs, usually with a friend for half of the journey but alone after that. Various house parties too. I wouldn't ever do it now. I'm not sure why but at some point in my late 20s I got freaked out about walking home alone. My boyfriend usually picks me up if I've been on a night out and he's never begrudged me for it, he understands why. It sounds daft because it shouldn't be like this, but I'm genuinely scared to walk anywhere alone, even home from the train station after work.

I'm heartbroken for her family and so upset this has happened again. I don't really know what to say, I just feel helpless when something like this happens.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 14
Same, the amount of nights out I had where I left the club on my own and somehow made it home. I would walk through town to the taxi rank and sometimes even walk all the way home if they wouldn’t take me. I used to go back to strangers houses and go to house parties of people I barely knew. It all just seemed like normal student behaviour - but looking back I was so lucky. Even now as a 30 something I wouldn’t think much of walking back from a friends at 9.30pm if it was a busy main road but now even that feels so dangerous.
Literally same! It all seemed so normal back then to get into these crazy situations and go on ‘drunk adventures’. It was portrayed as normal too in shows like Skins, which I loved as a teenager!

A group of friends and I went through a phase of having ‘all nighters’ where we’d sit in a field or something and get drunk and high all night and tell our parents we were at each other’s houses. So stupid looking back, yeah there was always a group of us but anything could happen for example if one of us went to the bushes for a wee or something (classy times). I’m honestly dreading my daughters getting older and trying to pull tit like this and me being made out to be the worst most boring parent ever when I shut that tit down😭
 
  • Like
Reactions: 10
I have set this up this evening for my phone to contact my boyfriend and my mum! Didn’t know it was a thing
I did exactly the same! I also have my mum on find a friend so she can always see where I am if needed. Not that we should have to think about these things
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.