Sali Hughes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sali on Twitter getting all angry about people who have the nerve to say they don't want to go to Glastonbury. Someone commented how smug and middle class it is - she didn't like that either (as she is neither of those things obvs).
She also says 'Word' to agree with someone šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 3
Sali on Twitter getting all angry about people who have the nerve to say they don't want to go to Glastonbury. Someone commented how smug and middle class it is - she didn't like that either (as she is neither of those things obvs).
That's hilarious as I remember her being very vocal on her GTL FB group about how she would only ever watch Glasto from the comfort of her living room. She was quite snobby about going to festivals.

Reactions: 5
Her bezzie India was a commenter on the whiteness.

Reactions: 1
It is middle class and predominantly white, and the age of revellers is getting higher & higher thanks to the ticket prices.
Sali knows sheā€™s not cool and she *hates* it being pointed out.

She is hardly a Glastonbury regular is she? Going a couple of times as a hanger on to your ā€˜matesā€™ who are very probably being paid to be there doesnā€™t really make you a Glasto stalwart. What has she become? Everything I previously thought I quite liked about her has just gone. She is a tiresome bore, scrabbling to be cool and relevant but not quite making it.

Reactions: 6
Also how does Sali have any idea that it is the least middle class - has she been to every festival in the UK? She just spouts absolute tripe most of the time and that is a shame as she could be so much better than this.

Also how does Sali have any idea that it is the least middle class - has she been to every festival in the UK? She just spouts absolute tripe most of the time and that is a shame as she could be so much better than this.
Caitlin told her it was the least middle class so it must be true :LOL:
I knew she'd get back and manufacture an argument that didn't exist so she could take a feisty stance.

Reactions: 2
That twitter thread is awful.

As an aside, I had a look at her wee pal Lauren's tweets. Absolute drivel/"oh yes, I agree" to every one of Sali's tweets. And no engagement whatsoever.

Sheā€™s got a right nerve laying down the law on social media about what Glastonbury is/ what it means/ what people should think about.

2017, as she wrote about in the Guardian column then, was the only time sheā€™d been since she was a teenager (or had allegedly been ā€“ given how poverty-stricken/ homeless she claims to have been back then Iā€™m not sure how she could have afforded the ticket, travel etc. Yet another tale that doesnā€™t stack up). So this was potentially only the second time sheā€™s ever actually been, and yet thinks she has the authority to aggressively tell other people what to think about it simply because she writes make-up reviews in the paper and Caitlin Moran uses her as her tag-along personal sycophant.

Sheā€™s totally lost the plot in the last couple of years - itā€™s actually weird how awful sheā€™s become in such a relatively short period of time. Doesnā€™t she complain that was her mother was a horrible narcissist? History repeating maybe.

Reactions: 9
I really don't know why I ever read her tweets/articles as she is probably the person who infuriates me the most. I think it is because I actually used to like her so feel a bit stupid. She is so completely humourless and thin skinned and always picking bizarre unnecessary middle class fights - always in a smug and rude way. The right to wear red lippy at any age, the right to put your makeup on on public transport, Glastonbury. Plus she is incapable of taking any slight criticism or dissenting view in a reasonable way eg twitter and the modded comments in The Guardian.
She now is championing ethical and sustainable brands for all she is worth after never mentioning them for years - 'long have I advocated xyz' will be making an appearance soon no doubt.

I get the distinct impression she was always left out at school, and this current girl gang she thinks she's one of the leaders of (but is actually just tagging along while she's allowed) is a kind of revenge-meets-ego-boost for her. The kind of cutesy names she calls them (La La ā€“ really?!), the clunky attempts at using street language, the Mean Girls/ Murielā€™s Wedding cliquey attitude, the desperate and wholly unconvincing attempts to claim sheā€™s been into whateverā€™s the hot new thing FOREVER. Trying to become Ms Glastonbury in 2019 in her mid-forties, having only just started going ā€“ cringe. All the behaviour of a 15 year old. Itā€™s turning into one HELL of midlife crisis.

Reactions: 10
It's the manufactured outrage on twitter that really gets me....she's getting like Katie Hopkins. She goes mad when someone disagrees then complains about twitter. She was getting her knickers in a twist about books on periods yesterday, then got furious when people disagreed with her. I used to really like her too, but I've been put off by the constant name dropping, the desperation to be cool, the deception over ads and surgery, the twitter fury.

Reactions: 7
I saw the bizarre moaning about the period book. It's not like her own books are on the world's most original subjects (cosmetics and the Royal Family...). She just seems paranoid, defensive, and terrified of anyone stealing her "crown", mixed with a strange self-important anger if anyone has another point of view. No understanding of how to debate, no critical thinking - classic case of someone with a chip on their shoulder about not going to university. Decided she knew it all and then brought down the intellectual shutters. It's a bad move though, because being a beauty writer gets harder as women get older (nature of the youth-obsessed industry she's complicit in), and because her writing is becoming so repetitive, with no sense of investigative thinking or intellectual openness, it's likely the 'serious' journalism will dry up as well. I don't see much evidence of her doing those kind of articles since The Pool bombed tbh, and she only got so much coverage there because her mate ran it. She just seems like a deluded rent-a-gob nowadays.

I think Lala maintains a heavy no strong opinions on socials because she's en route to be the next Claudia Winkleman or whoever.

Sheesh I loved Glastonbury when I was able to go but thereā€™s no doubt it has gentrified. The first time I went the demographic was completely different ( 2000) - definitely edgy and not always in a good way. The improved fence and investment in the security of the festival has made it better - safer - but undoubtedly much more middle class. The last one I went to had plenty of literal ā€œyahsā€. Even Michael Eavis says the festival is too middle class and has spoken about how to open it up to more people. Sali maybe needs to learn a bit more about the history of the festival.

It's the manufactured outrage on twitter that really gets me....she's getting like Katie Hopkins. She goes mad when someone disagrees then complains about twitter. She was getting her knickers in a twist about books on periods yesterday, then got furious when people disagreed with her. I used to really like her too, but I've been put off by the constant name dropping, the desperation to be cool, the deception over ads and surgery, the twitter fury.
That period book thing was so bizarre.

Such a roundabout way to brag about getting books sent to her.

Can I just say my eldest Son went to Glastonbury for the first time this year, planned and saved for it once they got through on the tickets.

He is a seasoned festival goer and travels abroad with his girlfriend for them but Glastonbury was the most money heā€™s ever spent and he took a week off work for, heā€™s not home yet šŸ™„.

Sali hasnā€™t got a bleeping clue , neither have I though šŸ˜

Reactions: 4
Anyone see Saliā€™s latest glossier ad video? Someone dared to comment asking whether she had had fillers and Botox. Sali went into overdrive calling the person rude, etc. Even though the poster was v polite. Now Sali has deleted the personā€™s comment. Itā€™s a bit ridiculous. If you post saying how beautiful, young, perfect she is then thatā€™s okay but dissent and youā€™re deleted. Itā€™s actually very petty.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.