Sali Hughes #8 The palpable absence of chill

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow. So Sali is still hunting people down and intimidating them? That is really beyond the pale.

Would I be upset at these Tattle threads if I was Sali? Of course. But that’s where it would end, because I wouldn’t read them. No “famous” person in their right mind would.

Influencers like Sali need to accept that people will have opinions about them, and have the right to discuss them on an anonymous forum. You can’t thought police people, Sali. It says a lot about her character that she thinks she can.

Reactions: 16
Hi all, another lurker since Freaky Friday here.

I used to read Sali's Guardian column when it first started but it got very dull. She really annoyed me with a recommendation for squalane cleanser which she'd apparently been using for decades as her go-to cleanser. Someone BTL called her out that she'd *never* mentioned using it before in any of her columns or SM and this made me very skeptical about anything Sali says.

It turns out squalane cleanser is perfect for my skin and I wish I'd known about it decades ago!

Her attitude on SM makes me cringe - she comes across as insecure and wannabe cool and seems to adore belittling people. So I mostly follow her for the entertainment value in that, and when she did that video I sat in the car LOLing at the daft dramatics of it all. Messaging forum members takes it all to a different level though, the woman is unhinged.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
I am scared. (I scare easy 😂). I don’t want to make someone unwell (SH). And I don’t want to be a bully or a troll.

I also don’t want influencers to not have a counter-culture and I believe that quite strongly. So once again SH has got my mind racing but not via a thoughtful piece on lipsticks.

It is really a tricky thing if you position yourself as a business and have some shady practices as you can always claim to take critique personally and that it is hurtful. The obvious problem with that is it surely is an occupational hazard if you are a celeb and if you’re selling yourself.

Truly I don’t know what to think. I know it must take an unscrupulous person to be a saleswoman dressed up as advisor who perpetuates a single standard of beauty.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This Friday will make it six weeks.

If you’re the same DollyDaydream from the forum and GTL, I would advise you to sign up under a new username. Otherwise she will be after you as well.

No idea if I am quoting this properly - but alas that is not me :) Just randomly made up this name so no one would know its me as no way linked to my insta name (well some will know its me ...... hi to my sis also a lurker and here cos that vid too ha!)

Would love to see if she could block me, but don't block the other dolly Sal - as its not her!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
No idea if I am quoting this properly - but alas that is not me :) Just randomly made up this name so no one would know its me as no way linked to my insta name (well some will know its me ...... hi to my sis also a lurker and here cos that vid too ha!)

Would love to see if she could block me, but don't block the other dolly Sal - as its not her!
The thought of SH and Lauren blocking people by accident who might otherwise buy the books, click the affiliate links etc pleases me no end.

ETA: not great for the poor blocked person in the short term of course but hopefully they’ll end up here

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
She is taking on a real sinister role that does her no favours.

It doesn’t make you look good Sali, trying to guilt trip or intimidate people. Your ego needs to deflate a bit. In the grand scheme of things you are not important, we have every right to call out your bullshit and batshit behaviour. Self reflect a bit.

i also love how she literally thinks we are all dumb twats. The fact there are medical, legal, media people here actually makes us quite formidable. To whoever she has contacted, please don’t feel worried or concerned, she and her veiled threats are nothing. Having an opinion and posting it on a forum or social media platform is your right.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I also don’t want influencers to not have a counter-culture and I believe that quite strongly.

I agree with this 100% - we are exposed to so many advertising messages every day and these soft advertising messages from Influencers are for me the most persuasive. It is only right that we have a forum to discuss and keep these in check.

Reactions: 12
Wow. So Sali is still hunting people down and intimidating them? That is really beyond the pale.

Would I be upset at these Tattle threads if I was Sali? Of course. But that’s where it would end, because I wouldn’t read them. No “famous” person in their right mind would.

Influencers like Sali need to accept that people will have opinions about them, and have the right to discuss them on an anonymous forum. You can’t thought police people, Sali. It says a lot about her character that she thinks she can.
Spot on. I'd be upset if people wrote or said things that aren't nice about me. BUT I don't believe people on here acted out of spite, they just saw that loads of things don't add up and that she's probably not as honest as she wants us to believe and ffs footballers, actors, politicians, etc. have to deal with actual abuse and still need to get on with their lives. (I'm not condoning abuse, obviously)

Reactions: 7
I must have missed something here - maybe at the end of the last thread? SH has personally been in touch with people asking them to cease and desist? I actually found it alarming to be blocked on Instagram last week, so I can't imagine how that must feel - so sorry for whoever that happened to. I also think it is coming across as quite deranged behaviour on her part. Imagine if Katie Price or Colleen Rooney hunted down everyone who said something they didn't like online, and got in touch with them personally.

Reactions: 8
I must have missed something here - maybe at the end of the last thread? SH has personally been in touch with people asking them to cease and desist? I actually found it alarming to be blocked on Instagram last week, so I can't imagine how that must feel - so sorry for whoever that happened to. I also think it is coming across as quite deranged behaviour on her part. Imagine if Katie Price or Colleen Rooney hunted down everyone who said something they didn't like online, and got in touch with them personally.
Yes. She’s been in touch via Facebook. The irony is, the person I chatted with last night who received two such messages before being blocked has barely posted on this forum at all.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Bloody hell. Was the person a member of SH's FB group? Or was she going all Wagatha Christie to seek them out?

Reactions: 1
It's an absolutely stupid, stupid thing to do. A friend of mine was once harassed via Twitter and the guy threatened her in a roundabout way. A quick Google search took her to his place of work. She informed his employer.

Contacting members individually when you're under new management? Come on, Sali, you have a brain.

Reactions: 3
Just checking in to say WTF and I hope whoever it is that's been PMd is ok. I'm really pleased you shared with @GTL Old-Timer and it's on here. I'm sure SH's intention was to intimidate to submission. Tough tit. It didn't work.

I'm sure, as with Freaky Friday, she'll be incandescent that we are comforting the person who has been targeted by her.

Anyone scared or worried, don't be. ❤

ETA - Maybe SH was worried that this thread was actually turning into the type of content she could now only dream of creating. It's witty, helpful and #notspon

So worried she decided to throw a spanner in the works to shake up the machine and generate more negative publicity. It's good for her numbers.

Reactions: 10
Just to say my two penny worth. I was involved in the earlier threads but got scared
so stopped posting. Have a new user name now. This has all got rather weird

Reactions: 11
The only mod I know here is @Yel but just wanted to say thanks for being supportive and backing the forum users.

I’ve said it soooo many times but Tattle is one of the nicest and most civilised forums I’ve ever been to!

A quick read of any Mumsnet or reddit thread reveals very similar discussion so seems like Tattle is scapegoated because it’s honest about what it is.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.