Sali Hughes #6 Eric's at the cat flap, hide your side of beef with a shower cap!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d say she called it that so it could be a tax-deductible business expense, EXCEPT for the fact that she name-checked the place so many times that it absolutely had to be an undeclared freebie.
You may be right about the tax angle (although I'd thought it was just pretension) but I don't think it would have been a freebie. First, I think Sali would have labelled it 'press trip' - as per the trip to Cornwall to visit the sea salt factory (or whatever it was). Second, I don't think that the Vivamayr clinic would offer a free stay/treatments in return for a couple of IG mentions by a beauty influencer. I've no evidence for saying that - I just don't think they need it.

Fair enough, yeah. The trip took place right before the rules about disclosure came into force though. (It was this exact trip and the weird way she reported it that made me start to side-eye her a bit.)

You may be right about the tax angle (although I'd thought it was just pretension) but I don't think it would have been a freebie. First, I think Sali would have labelled it 'press trip' - as per the trip to Cornwall to visit the sea salt factory (or whatever it was). Second, I don't think that the Vivamayr clinic would offer a free stay/treatments in return for a couple of IG mentions by a beauty influencer. I've no evidence for saying that - I just don't think they need it.
I agree with that- if it's a £4000 stay and it's already established with celebrities (Lisa E has been going for 12 years according to her IG post) then they're obviously going for the exclusivity angle and wouldn't have any need to send a British journalist for free

Reactions: 1
I'm not convinced. During my time in magazine publishing, I went on single-destination press trips worth way more than that. High-end resorts and spas have a budget for that type of thing

Reactions: 3
She does like to massage the truth to fit in with this lofty idea she has of herself. That trip would have been a junket with a bunch of other health and beauty writers, ergo - in Sali's mind - a "writers' retreat". It's so pretentious of her, and so thoroughly in character. She knows she'll never be a "serious author", but that doesn't stop her trying to shoehorn herself into that world. You just know she sees herself as the rightful heir to Nora Ephron. Bleugh
Totally agree. Sort of the truth but not quite re the 'writer's retreat'. There were writers there, er, retreating. I just don't understand why she thinks anyone would care. Does anyone think less of Lisa? Admitting your insecurities is always endearing and relatable. No matter what she says about loving older women she won't be honest about her own aging process. I don't see how she doesn't understand as a beauty editor recommending things, that that approach is just alienating. I know she is all for women not having to declare all their treatments which in most cases I agree, but when you use your own face to promote things then I really believe you have to be absolutely transparent. Like Cheryl Cole promoting hair care products and having to declare she used extensions.
Sneaky Botox and 'tweakments' pretending your face is naturally young when you are a Beauty Expert is just mean. There is no way it doesn't make some women feel insecure and as if they are failing.

Reactions: 5
I also think it would have been a press trip freebie, and also agree that it was this jaunt that had my ears prick up a bit. The rules on disclosure were always there, they were just updated and enforced in 2018, and people started to buck up with them this year. Nike and Wayne Rooney were taken to task by the ASA for non-disclosure on Twitter years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The indignant "I've never had forehead wrinkles!" speaks to her horror of ageing. And it's also alienating. She really doesn't spend much time on self-reflection, does she? The tone-deaf self-righteousness and self-aggrandisement is reminiscent of Trump. It's definitely a narcissistic trait

I don't understand it. A smattering of self-deprecation and humility is so endearing, and would be good for her "brand", no?

I guess we'll never know for sure but one thing we do know is that she was being disingenuous (as usual) by calling it a writers retreat

Her insta has been very dull since Freaky Friday. She'd better step it back up

Reactions: 1
A smattering of self-deprecation and humility is so endearing, and would be good for her "brand", no?
Agreed. And I think we'll see more of that as, belatedly, she comes to see this thread as a learning opportunity (albeit a difficult one).

Reactions: 2
Agreed. And I think we'll see more of that as, belatedly, she comes to see this thread as a learning opportunity (albeit a difficult one).
I don’t think she’ll learn a thing. I think she’ll just keep raging about not having carte blanche to do what she likes and spin it how she likes. She has enough sycophants around to tell her it’s because we’re jealous of her success or whatever, and we simply don’t understand how things work (eg with freebies). The problem, as she sees it, is that these horrible sites exist and questioning people like us exist and have the temerity to interrogate her bullshit. She’ll keep doubling down and is probably in enough of a bubble to get away with it.

I think if she was someone who reflected and learned, she wouldn’t have tried to bullshit last week that her & DP were friends and any ‘misunderstanding’ was the fault of a mutual friend. She has well and truly drunk her own brand of koolaid.

Reactions: 6
If she could restrain herself from categorical loathing or obsessing, she wouldn't need to "paraphrase" or "rename" anything.
However, the beauty industry constantly comes up with bullshit marketing points, so one day you criticize what detox actually means, and the next day you have to write a sponsored post about a face oil with the word "detox" in the title. If you have painted yourself as a proper journalist with impeccable integrity, a person with a categorical stance on important things like mislabeling products, fear mongering with terms like "nasties" (for completely safe ingredients), you'd decline the offer. Admit what is actually your job and no problem. Nobody goes to salespeople in a shop and calls them out on the company's marketing scheme (if they do, that's something for the medical professionals).

Reactions: 6
I think SH and others of her ilk are in such a difficult position. Print media is dead or dying, but she still needs to make a living. She’s competing against influencers who grew up in that landscape, trying to maintain credibility, yet not quite managing. She must feel very vulnerable. There is only so much mileage in books about the queen’s frocks, and while I’m sure the podcast brings in a decent listenership, she sounds very stilted - I’m not much of a podcast person, but I bet there are others who do it better.

Reactions: 4
I don’t think she’ll learn a thing. I think she’ll just keep raging about not having carte blanche to do what she likes and spin it how she likes. She has enough sycophants around to tell her it’s because we’re jealous of her success or whatever, and we simply don’t understand how things work (eg with freebies).
I'm so jealous that she got to eat potatoes worth £4000, had to plot to get someone fired, that she has to censor herself when discussing a lot of important issues (like the way people are treated at CT), has to ass kiss blue tickers and brand owners, has to constantly remove her foot from her mouth, give maintenance shags (I mention this a lot, maybe I'm feeling guilty), has to shill her personal life, I could go on and on...
I'm sure having the type of followers (an army even) does screw with a person's perception, but more importantly there is a specific kind of person who wants followers to begin with.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
F53683B6-AD02-4E4F-83BE-3ADF7A4CDF2F.jpeg

Raging at Lisa Eldridge maybe? Hmmm...

Who else finds these sorts of cryptic tweets pathetic? Smacks of someone who doesn’t have anyone to reach out to in real life so resorts to vague sadfishing (ragefishing?) on twitter for attention.

I didn't realise the Writers Retreat was so recent - was she in an absolute rage at Tattle back then maybe? And she couldn't even have had the trout or beef broth (she's a vegetarian. Doesn't like to talk about it though).
I'd love to know what she really thinks about the D O'P stuff. What she and the coven did was vicious. And they knew she knew. Does she believe her own spin that they are friends and it was years ago and somebody else's fault? I find it hilarious every so often she used to write a piece (usually on the Pool) about how marvellous Twitter used to be. Such a loving supportive community where she made so many good friends and met her husband. All looks a bit tainted when you see what the coven were up to.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.