Sali Hughes #52 Been there, seen it, done it, knew about it first. Always done it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I know what my problem with that look is - her grey hair still does not suit her. Still looks wierd and wiggy to me. Honestly has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, beauty decisions she ever made. What the hell was she thinking. I look through at her IG and her brunette hair was just so much nicer.
I don't get having to spend potentially decades having to keep up the grey maintenance. And it might be decades. I'm older than She Here with similar very dark hair and the mild grey reached a sort of stasis around 50. If I want to disguise it I use a hair mascara thing but I usually don't care. The thought of constant elaborate processes to wreck my hair seems crazy.
Before she decided to dye her hair grey, she used to say there wasn't a product she could use to permanently dye the grey in her hair. I didn't understand why she didn't then use a product to temporarily dye or at least blend in the grey. I appreciate that temporary dye is a bit of a faff because it doesn't last as long, but probably no more of a faff than now having to leave on toner for 10 mins every few washes - leaving aside the faff of having the roots bleached every so often and trying to keep the damage under control.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Like @Jelly Bean said, her hair is a bad move and sadly she’s too stubborn to admit defeat. The colour does nothing for her complexion and looks like a stained wig at this stage. No amount of hair product or tools can sort out the complete and utter ruin she’s caused to her already thin hair. As a fellow thin-haired person, the only thing she can do is let this stupid colour go and try and salvage what’s left of her hair.
The worst thing is though, if she is indeed allergic to brown hair dye like she says, she won’t have any choice but to grow out the hair she’s got now to get it back to her natural colour. Which will look absolutely horrific for about a year unless she is prepared to go really short for a while.

I remember when she wrote for The Pool she wrote an article titled “I’m going grey, and I’ll style it out however I damn well please” - which was so confrontational and snippy for no reason, and all about her plan to go fully grey, haters be damned! She’d published photoshopped pictures of her with grey hair as part of the article and it looked bad, but not that much worse than how it’s actually turned out. It really was an awful decision.

Reactions: 10
I wonder if there's a parallel between the sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut approach she took to her strands of grey hair and the approach she took to her, then, small handful of Tattle critics.

Reactions: 18
Her hair was the most beautiful shade of cool brown that suited her colouring perfectly. The very few and not very noticeable grey strands were also lovely and gave a soft look. The colour now doesn't suit her and even if it did, it wouldn't be worth the huge damage she inflicted on her hair. It would take strong thick hair to withstand that

Reactions: 26
I wonder which far flung country the Dyson was in. As far as I know the hairdryer isn't duel voltage and the Dyson website says the product is made to work in the country from which it has been purchased. Many moons ago I bought a hairdryer to use in the USA, when I got home I forgot to switch the voltage and I managed to blow it up. A piece of burning metal landed on my bed and burnt a hole in my fancy comforter that I had bought on the same holiday. Looking back the comforter wasn't so fancy but I was seduced by all things American at the time. I'm older (a lot) and wiser now. I'm also grey which I'm telling myself I'm ok with and I enhance it weekly with Olaplex 4p shampoo. I paid and am under no obligation to comment on this game changing shampoo.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Actually now that you mention it I do remember reading that an EU air wrap will not work in the US with a converter, it will die so maybe it's the same with the hair dryer. I wonder did it explode and she's too embarrassed to admit that so has pretended it got left behind

Reactions: 14
Well I'm a petty witch who will never be tempted to buy anything Dyson again. But the man aside, why does someone with Sali's type of hair, thin and fine, need to spend over £300 on a hairdryer? A Dyson might be life changing if you have a thick mane of hair that normally takes hours to dry but hair like hers (and mine!) are just as well served by a £50 hair dryer.

Reactions: 20
I love how she said 'ethics have forced me to look elsewhere but it's no use'. Does she not understand how ethics work? (P.s I'm not saying anyone who uses a Dyson doesn't have ethics)

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Sali with her finger on the pulse as usual. People half scared to death with the cost of living crisis and she breezily carries on with her £330 hairdryer (oh the moral tussle over having to use it) and holidays to far-flung places.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
It's such, such bad timing, isn't it? Also, it's incredibly lazy journalism. That hairdryer's been out for years.

Reactions: 17
I bought a Parlux (aka the former holder of the “worlds best hairdryer” crown) and I do love it. I also have a Treseme one that I keep at work. It was £15 from Boots and it’s at least as good as the Parlux.
What I’m trying to say is, wouldn’t THAT be a great column idea. Really bloody cheap hairdryers that work brilliantly and so you can stop having the aspirational consumer anxiety that seems to be the scourge of society these days.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I love how she said 'ethics have forced me to look elsewhere but it's no use'. Does she not understand how ethics work? (P.s I'm not saying anyone who uses a Dyson doesn't have ethics)
Yeah, the “ethics” line had me sniggering to myself. I think she meant “word count”.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Before she decided to dye her hair grey, she used to say there wasn't a product she could use to permanently dye the grey in her hair. I didn't understand why she didn't then use a product to temporarily dye or at least blend in the grey. I appreciate that temporary dye is a bit of a faff because it doesn't last as long, but probably no more of a faff than now having to leave on toner for 10 mins every few washes - leaving aside the faff of having the roots bleached every so often and trying to keep the damage under control.
I reckon my hair has as many greys as Sali’s did and I use semi-permanent dye. I also have really fine hair too. I get it done at the salon and it lasts about 3 months but I usually push it to 4 with maybe a touch up at home for the temples in between. I’ve pushed it to 6 months this time and the greys are showing a lot but some of the dye is still hanging on! I actually have black hair so in the sun some of the strands turned blonde, which frankly I quite like, like a free highlights job!

So, I go to the salon 3-4 times a year to manage my greys, and Sali goes 3-4 month so she longer has to manage her greys. Makes sense…

Reactions: 9
I got my old Babyliss out of the cellar and compared it to the Dyson. The result? I will declutter the Babyliss after years of not using it yet not wanting to part with it. So I guess I should be thankful for today's column?

The cheap one doesn't have a proper cold setting just a button that you have to press constantly and at full blast it gets way way too hot. I burned my hand on it. I don't have to keep it just in case.

If my Dyson breaks I'll get a Parlux or something in that price bracket. The Dyson is good but way too expensive for a hairdryer.

Reactions: 5
Also, for someone who uses so many products and gadgets (and free treatments) her hair looks shockingly bad. And I say that as someone with tit hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I got my old Babyliss out of the cellar and compared it to the Dyson. The result? I will declutter the Babyliss after years of not using it yet not wanting to part with it. So I guess I should be thankful for today's column?

The cheap one doesn't have a proper cold setting just a button that you have to press constantly and at full blast it gets way way too hot. I burned my hand on it. I don't have to keep it just in case.

If my Dyson breaks I'll get a Parlux or something in that price bracket. The Dyson is good but way too expensive for a hairdryer.
Honestly I’ve used a parlux and a dyson, the parlux is great. And I know they last years, my hairdresser has used the same one for at least 15 years, and not needed to replace it. Judging by my dyson vacuum, I doubt you’d be able to say the same for a dyson hairdryer

Reactions: 8
Well I'm a petty witch who will never be tempted to buy anything Dyson again. But the man aside, why does someone with Sali's type of hair, thin and fine, need to spend over £300 on a hairdryer? A Dyson might be life changing if you have a thick mane of hair that normally takes hours to dry but hair like hers (and mine!) are just as well served by a £50 hair dryer.
She could probably get away with drying it in a Dyson airblade in the Brighton train station lavs, on one of her many passes through

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.