Sali Hughes #52 Been there, seen it, done it, knew about it first. Always done it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The trouble is if you were with a pregnant friend, and were trying to be reassuring, then you could expand on that wierd statement that it is just a day. It possibly made more sense in her head than in print. But she can't be that skilled a writer if the overall impression is judgy and prescriptive. Honestly her publisher should have told her the impression it all gives.
Makes you wonder what it was like before the delays and (presumably) rewrites 😬 She probably advised quoting that bleeping Elizabeth Taylor quote at traumatised mothers.
BIB for thread title nom

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Just popping back in because I keep getting prompted to post a review but Amazon gives a this item is not eligible to be reviewed error...wonder why?

I don’t know if anyone on here is a member of Netgalley (or knows how it works) basically you apply for advance copies of books in return for a unbiased review that will be used on publication.

I saw Sali’s book arrive last month and I thought might as well see what she’s got to say, I review regularly and very rarely get turned down for my requests, I was therefore surprised not to hear anything further. Upon searching it seems that the title has already been archived and after only 6 reviews were posted! To say they are damning is an understatement.

The tone of the reviews did not indicate any tattler was involved, I won’t screenshot as that seems a bit unfair when the reviewers haven’t given their consent, but I think it’s fair to say it’s not going to be well received by the general public unless they are desperate to learn which is the best queue to choose at a supermarket (the one with people doing large shops apparently 🙄)
it was archived after a few days earlier than originally scheduled

I have to say I’ve never known one be archived so quickly and often you get sent your copy to review several weeks after requesting, I just got the latest Taylor Jenkins Reid despite it being a month since I asked, for reference that book still isn’t archived despite being due for publication a week before Sal and has had 267 reviews, not the 6 she has had!

I don’t know the exact timing but I would say her book was only available for 2 weeks at the most, finally I would add it’s rare to see 2* reviews because people tend to give generous reviews, a combination of not wanting to annoy publishers and they haven’t paid, very telling!
I got my copy the first day it was posted.. within a couple of hours rarely to get such a quick approval unless auto approved.I think it was actually only up a few days once the reviews started rolling in

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Just popping back in because I keep getting prompted to post a review but Amazon gives a this item is not eligible to be reviewed error...wonder why?
I think it’s because it’s still on pre-order only and the review section will open up after the release date.

Bloody hell, those are some damning reviews! Living in a bubble of endless fawning and approval does do strange things to people like SH. Lost sense to have a reality check much, no?

The pyjamas pic is beyond contrived- I mean she does mention dream scenes, but for all we know she could be looking at the wheelie bin in the backyard. Rolex still firmly on though. Ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I still can't believe this is the book that her publisher wanted her to keep quiet about because the idea was so unique and they were worried someone else would steal it

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
She said she bought them. She didn’t say they charged her full price, and oops, there’s a mention for the brand.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
The Guardian's beauty pages are so poor. Apart from Sali, Funmi Fetto's page is just a long list of products with no details. The Times beauty pages are so much better. Nadine Baggot's Pout column is about once a month. It's a double page spread with lots of products and details. I've just signed up for a £1 for 3 month subscription and am impressed with Sarah Jossell's columns. She writes far better than Sali and actually gives information on many products with no bossiness, bizarre similes or weird alliteration. "Olfactory Onanism" anyone?

Reactions: 17
The day I gave birth was one of the most traumatic days of my life, and, like others on here, almost 13 years later I still have nightmares about it.But now I've taken Dr Sals advice ill just forget about it because I have a child 🙄 ffs.She is an utterly crass condescending twit,and clearly even more stupid than I thought.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.