Sali Hughes #52 Been there, seen it, done it, knew about it first. Always done it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve read the reviews. Blimey. That’s got to sting a bit.

Reactions: 7
I think it's ok to link to the reviews. I'll edit if anybody thinks I shouldn't. (I think the rules mostly stipulate that we can't take Tattle stuff over there, not the other way round.)

• Wow
Reactions: 19
"Perhaps, at 44, and thus having a decent grasp on skincare, cooking and furnishing my house, I am not the audience for this book. I did frequently think what a lovely gift it would make to someone in their late teens or early 20s leaving home for the first time, but then wondered if said someone wouldn't be more likely to get their life advice from Tiktok and Youtube.

3 stars: I'll be interested to see it in book form and, if it's nicely designed, would certainly buy it for my teenage nieces, but it's of limited use to those of us with some life experience (and several series of Marie Kondo on Netflix) under our belts"

This was the most positive

I think it's fine @rosemarina, I was able to check the reviews without being a member

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Her top tip about supermarket queues was probably written before most had self-scan apps or devices. I, for one, eschew all others.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Reckon they all think they run the world in her girl gang, poverty, raised by roadies (Laverne says this a lot) etc etc - such lived experience, such gems to share. But yes it’s an echo chamber of back slapping amongst themselves and for She Her in her controlled online environs.

I guess the devoted Salinistas can make this right for her.

But this book gets even worse as the author dispenses "advice" on abortions , breastfeeding and depression which is inappropriate and she is totally unqualified to do so. Her comments giving direction on "how to grieve" are incredibly trite and extremely offensive to those of us who have actually experienced grief..

What made Sali decide this would make a good book . Too big for her boots maybe even though she’s got teeny weeny little feet. Bad move Sal.

• Sick
Reactions: 22
But this book gets even worse as the author dispenses "advice" on abortions , breastfeeding and depression which is inappropriate and she is totally unqualified to do so. Her comments giving direction on "how to grieve" are incredibly trite and extremely offensive to those of us who have actually experienced grief..

What made Sali decide this would make a good book . Too big for her boots maybe even though she’s got teeny weeny little feet. Bad move Sal.
If she ever had the humility to think some of what we said might just have an element of truth then she would have realised she doesn't speak for all women. In fact just a relatively small section of carefully cultivated voices, who tell her she is marvellous for having 3 pairs of nearly £200 jimjams.
Wake up call incoming.
I mean she got quite a lot of flack for her skincare range and that was her area of expertise.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
“I expected funny and wise but the advice was all a bit obvious and pedestrian.”

Stick that on the cover! 😂😂

”her advice veers between superiority, judgement and a more confiding tone” 🙌 🙌

• Haha
It reads like a strange hybrid of Pool opinion columns, India Knight's thrift and 'The Shops' books and late-night chatter between Sali and her mates (who have all kindly blurbed her book to be clear).
:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Given that she’s clearly behind the withdrawal of the book for review perhaps the next thread title should be Sali Hughes - Everything Is White Washable 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
She has experience of quite complicated grief I think - but no chops to comment on anyone else’s I wouldn’t have thought. But I know nothing and am proper comfortable to admit that and dispense no advise to anyone. Ain’t no back slapping going on in my world 🤨

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Does anyone listen to the "So I Got to Thinking" Sex and The City podcast? Specifically this week's episode.

They were wondering how "famous" Carrie Bradshaw is supposed to be and I almost choked when they compared her to none other than Sali Hughes 💀 The guest described her as "knowledgeable in her sphere but not a celeb." Ouch.

• Haha
  • Wow
Cripes - off for a look. Be right back 🏃‍♀️

ETA found it. Blimey. Not good. They all seem a bit baffled as to the point of it. Written from the point of 'white privileged female' and 'judgemental, superior' were a couple of comments. Advising women to get over the trauma of childbirth as it only lasts a day and at the end you have a baby.
Sounds like a bit of a car crash tbh.

There is another influencer, Lily Pebbles, who wrote a book a few years ago. About female friendship. Lots of hype around it. Anyway it got absolutely slaughtered on Amazon. Worth having a look. She got quite a lot of ridicule over it and from memory took a break from SM. I blame publishers as well tbh, they keep enabling these 'advice' books by a particular demographic.
Hi Sali, as someone that had a traumatic birth, I am still not over it 12 years later. It caused me long-term physical and emotional issues that I live with daily and that traumatic birth is the reason I only have one child.

Get to duck with your tone-deaf insensitive advice that you are completely unqualified to give.

I hope this book gets roundly panned and ridiculed. Perhaps then you will learn a little humility and get off that high horse you're so keen on looking down on us from.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
The combination of that ~very natural~ pajamas photo with those book reviews is an incredible match -- says it all, really. Behold the bubble.

Reactions: 12
Hi Sali, as someone that had a traumatic birth, I am still not over it 12 years later. It caused me long-term physical and emotional issues that I live with daily and that traumatic birth is the reason I only have one child.

Get to duck with your tone-deaf insensitive advice that you are completely unqualified to give.

I hope this book gets roundly panned and ridiculed. Perhaps then you will learn a little humility and get off that high horse you're so keen on looking down on us from.
My mum isn't over her traumatic birth before me (nor should she be) and that was almost 40 years ago. It'll be with her until her dying day. Sali can duck right off.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I’m 44 and my mum still isn’t over the trauma of her experience giving birth. She also had extremely bad PND and has often told me that she loved being pregnant but it all went wrong when I was born (it’s fine I’ve had a lot of counselling 😂). So I expect she’d tell Sali to stick her advice where it belongs.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
The trouble is if you were with a pregnant friend, and were trying to be reassuring, then you could expand on that wierd statement that it is just a day. It possibly made more sense in her head than in print. But she can't be that skilled a writer if the overall impression is judgy and prescriptive. Honestly her publisher should have told her the impression it all gives.
Makes you wonder what it was like before the delays and (presumably) rewrites 😬 She probably advised quoting that bleeping Elizabeth Taylor quote at traumatised mothers.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.