Sali Hughes #51 Was Sali on the bus?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
ALSO buying single ingredient skincare isn’t cheaper. It just means you’re more in control of the eventual formula. But you still need a few things to layer or mix.
How did you come to this conclusion? Even buying several products from the Ordinary to layer (if one is so inclined) is going to be cheaper than one serum from a premium brand in most cases. Advanced Night Repair is €95 for 50ml, if someone used two serums from the Ordinary (let's say hyaluronic acid and the buffet serum, based on ingredients), that's still only going to come to about €25. You'd have to be seriously layering on multiple products for it to not be cheaper

Reactions: 2
How did you come to this conclusion? Even buying several products from the Ordinary to layer (if one is so inclined) is going to be cheaper than one serum from a premium brand in most cases. Advanced Night Repair is €95 for 50ml, if someone used two serums from the Ordinary (let's say hyaluronic acid and the buffet serum, based on ingredients), that's still only going to come to about €25. You'd have to be seriously layering on multiple products for it to not be cheaper
Comparing ANR to The Ordinary is a bit apples and oranges. I think Sali is claiming that her “brand” is better value because the only alternatives are single ingredient ones or something v expensive. Which isn’t true. There are plenty of other formulas in the same price bracket as her stuff. But even the single ingredient stuff combined isn’t cheaper than HER product. That’s my point.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Comparing ANR to The Ordinary is a bit apples and oranges. I think Sali is claiming that her “brand” is better value because the only alternatives are single ingredient ones or something v expensive. Which isn’t true. There are plenty of other formulas in the same price bracket as her stuff. But even the single ingredient stuff combined isn’t cheaper than HER product. That’s my point.
Apologies, I totally misunderstood x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I watched a bit of that live with Bambi beauty and don't really get the point they were tussling with over formula vs single ingredients. In that I didn't get what they didn't get. They both seemed to be trying to make out things were far more complicated than they actually are. You can either buy single ingredients and/or a formula 🤷‍♀️. It is called choice.
Sali wants to overcomplicate something quite simple, it makes her look 'nerdy'. And she loves the idea that her basic range answers questions that nobody was actually asking. Hence all her daft girlfriends dithering in SpaceNK unable to think for themselves. (What happened to all her 'smart' friends who could be interested in politics AND beauty?).

Reactions: 19
The single ingredient market is a relatively new one, isn't it? What does Silly Sali think we were all slapping on our faces before she started acting like Jesus Christ the Saviour of Skincare? head.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Yes it's quite the reverse ferret. "A passion for surface doesn't mean a lack of depth". But now, despite all her columns and books, her own friends can barely function beauty wise. Beauty is something so complicated that only Sali and a few others can understand it

Reactions: 8
Yes it's quite the reverse ferret. "A passion for surface doesn't mean a lack of depth". But now, despite all her columns and books, her own friends can barely function beauty wise. Beauty is something so complicated that only Sali and a few others can understand it
Quite. Despite herself proclaiming she is democratising beauty she is an awful beauty snob and wants it to be perceived as difficult and complicated. Hence this reeling off numerous acids and ingredients that mean bugger all to most people - which she well knows.
And the other thing, she was going on about 'the industry this, the industry that' as if she is some maverick beauty outsider, when she is completely embedded in it and has hardly ever taken a critical stance on it.

ETA I don't think she knows which stance to take 'women are so smart and know everything about beauty' or 'even clever women are baffled by beauty these days'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
She has to make herself appear indispensable I guess. I assume that someone who ends up in Space NK or who's on the Cult Beauty website wanting to buy something already has an interest in beauty. An interest usually means knowledge too.

The reality is that people are far more knowledgeable about skincare than ever before. We're no longer in an era where we just go by what magazines tell us, there are so many resources at hand. Too many to count

Reactions: 9
Why does she pretend her brows have grown back? It’s microblading. Or eye wigs.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I've stopped using RapidBrow for now as it worked TOO well - brows are now too dark, heavy and thick and I cringe when I look in the bathroom mirror.

Fortunately my glasses frames hide most of them When they've returned to normal I'm going to use it just on the tails which were the weedy bits.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I've stopped using RapidBrow for now as it worked TOO well - brows are now too dark, heavy and thick and I cringe when I look in the bathroom mirror.

Fortunately my glasses frames hide most of them When they've returned to normal I'm going to use it just on the tails which were the weedy bits.
Oooo does that stuff work then?

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.