Sali Hughes #51 Was Sali on the bus?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s the brows that are the worst. Surely they’ve not always been that heavy? Can’t be arsed to check. Very tired. So tired I’ll be drinking Simple Micellar Water inadvertently if I’m not careful.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
The trouble with Sali's friends giving it a ringing endorsement is that friends often say what you want to hear. Especially if the friend is so thinskinned and snippy.

And that photo 😬 Her eyes actually do look sore. Wasn't she saying recently her eyes were terribly sore and she blamed it on testing SPFs 🤔
And that lipstick is a terrible colour on her. Sort of deathly.
In the post I deleted I went on to say something similar about not being able to rely on friends to be objective. It was about a Twitter exchange I remembered from, I think, shortly after freaky Friday. SH tweeted something about here (cesspit etc) and someone responded - with good intentions I'm sure - saying something like 'Honestly, Sali, I've had a look and it's really not that bad'. SH's curt reply was something like 'My friends aren't lying to me'. I don't imagine friends were lying but there's a lot of ground between lying and telling the unvarnished truth.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
In the post I deleted I went on to say something similar about not being able to rely on friends to be objective. It was about a Twitter exchange I remembered from, I think, shortly after freaky Friday. SH tweeted something about here (cesspit etc) and someone responded - with good intentions I'm sure - saying something like 'Honestly, Sali, I've had a look and it's really not that bad'. SH's curt reply was something like 'My friends aren't lying to me'. I don't imagine friends were lying but there's a lot of ground between lying and telling the unvarnished truth.
We can’t abandon critical thinking in favour of liking someone’s personality and so subsequently everything they say is right. No matter how much Sali appears to have done so.

Reactions: 14
We can’t abandon critical thinking in favour of liking someone’s personality and so subsequently everything they say is right. No matter how much Sali appears to have done so.
Agree completely. Though I find it’s sometimes rather a challenge to do the opposite re: the dislike engendered by errr… certain people and their ilk, and so subsequently everything they say and anything/anyone associating with them becomes suspect.

Explaining badly but you know what I mean- there are people and brands who now by association I actively avoid

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Agree completely. Though I find it’s sometimes rather a challenge to do the opposite re: the dislike engendered by errr… certain people and their ilk, and so subsequently everything they say and anything/anyone associating with them becomes suspect.

Explaining badly but you know what I mean- there are people and brands who now by association I actively avoid
I think we can forgive being wary of something which has caused you bother in the past though. That’s damaged the trust. Blind trust leads to a cult (am watching Keep Sweet on Netflix!)

Reactions: 8
LE has a lovely informative stories on her insta about her fav beauty stores in London- now, that’s how it’s done! With ample amount of grace and obvious enthusiasm!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Oh, clucking bell, she’s recommending last-minute fragrance gifts again 🤪.

Let us wade through the tortuous subordinate clauses together.

A beautiful scent is a thoughtful gift, simultaneously decadent and useful, and (deliberately in the case of these that follow) pretty accessible via department stores if you’ve left it to the last minute.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
“Dads like to smell nice” :rolleyes:
Also pro-fragrance - why does she have to turn thinking perfume is a nice gift into a personality trait?
Also “rooty” has made me feel a bit sick, as has “dollop of apple sauce” - absolute load of vacuous bollocks.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
Eye- roll emoji, stat!

Fragrance brands have been channeling (Chanel-ing? :unsure:🤭) some amount of money via influencers this past year or so.

I think it’s a real skill to be able to describe fragrance in a helpful way to people (fragrance wardrobe?? FFS, give me strength!) and I’m not sure influencers who are easily OBSESSED🙄 and get this stuff for free are best placed to do this.

It’s such a personal (and expensive) purchase, I find reviews on these have me switching off.

Reactions: 14
“Dads like to smell nice” made me laugh and think fondly of my late and very flatulent father, who most certainly did not like to smell nice and was still playing the “pull my finger” trick with me well into my adulthood. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
“Dads like to smell nice” made me laugh and think fondly of my late and very flatulent father, who most certainly did not like to smell nice and was still playing the “pull my finger” trick with me well into my adulthood. 😂
Sounds a little like my late father! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
“In reality, however, Dior Homme was less a spearhead, more a lone wolf. It remains interesting, warm, unobnoxious and appropriate in any setting.”

So, the precise opposite of Sali herself.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
JFC my hayfever is wild this year, anyone else struggling? Not sure if it’s a high pollen thing or a hormone thing but I could quite happily scratch my own eyes out.

• Sad
So a Penhaligon day out = a perfume recc in the next column. And no, £210 for 75ml is definitely not a ridiculous amount of money for a bottle of smelly stuff. duck off.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
JFC my hayfever is wild this year, anyone else struggling? Not sure if it’s a high pollen thing or a hormone thing but I could quite happily scratch my own eyes out.
Same! I had laser eye surgery in October so was thinking that made my eyes more sensitive but getting all the hayfever symptoms now. It's very annoying

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Funnily enough I was asking my aesthetics nurse yesterday what her most popular treatments were and the hay fever injection was one of them.

Apparently, they used to offer it on the NHS, but it was so effective that everyone stopped buying OTC anti histamines. Big Pharma kicked up a fuss and boom, it’s no longer available for free! Bastards.

Might be worth finding someone that could do it for you? Sorry you’re suffering x

81960920-B9DA-4007-9297-9F04F80263D9.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 13
An allergy consultant has shared some useful info on Twitter:

The nitty gritty starts here:

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.