Sali Hughes #41 Head and Shoulders above the rest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I found those stories puzzling and a little unsettling too, particularly the "I stood no chance" line

Reactions: 14
I found those stories puzzling and a little unsettling too, particularly the "I stood no chance" line
Yes very unsettling. I can't quite work out if Sali was upset or proud of it all. I guess the latter? Only because of the way she is talking about it now.
But the whole thing seems deeply problematic. The only times I ever feel sorry for her as she was so young. And seems to have been around predatory people.

Reactions: 13
We've talked about this before but I think Sali was in a relationship at 14 with Julia's adult male housemate. I just really hope a lot went on behind the scenes to make this safe and something was ultimately done. In a world without phones/traceability/everybody's lives all over the internet a teenage girl who turned up at your house could just disappear into the night so I imagine she had to tread carefully. My god what a nightmare though.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Did anyone ever watch The Pool's "in the bathroom" when Sali is interviewed by someone else. She's talking about her London runaway times and she says "I was 14 and my boyfriend was an adult" in an almost matter of fact, slightly silly me way.

Look it's up for Sali to make peace with her history. But it's not ok to present that kind of "relationship" as normal, desirable or cool/career enhancing.

Imagine your daughter at age 14 living with two adults in their mid 20s one of whom she is having sex with.

NO.

This all leaves a very strange taste in the mouth.

We've talked about this before but I think Sali was in a relationship at 14 with Julia's adult male housemate. I just really hope a lot went on behind the scenes to make this safe and something was ultimately done. In a world without phones/traceability/everybody's lives all over the internet a teenage girl who turned up at your house could just disappear into the night so I imagine she had to tread carefully. My god what a nightmare though.
Sorry if I'm covering old ground. I am newish to the beef-faced sisterhood x

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I am curious if/when she is going to go back to dark hair. I can't see her keeping up with this level of maintenance indefinitely. Her hair won't withstand it

Reactions: 10
I feel like Sam Chapman has gone for the Stevie Nicks look, but not quite nailed it. I love working with your natural hair texture, but with the bleach it just looks fried.

Reactions: 11
OT: Any suggestions for super fine, thin hair? I feel like I've exhausted all product options. Nothing does what it says on the tin. I am so close to just buzzing it all off 😩

Reactions: 3
Nothing too bad but I will spoiler this discussion as it relates to underage relationship
So on the one hand I do think Sali is at best naive to keep bringing up this somewhat problematic part of her history in such a blasé manner. It might have been “ok” for her but she does herself no favours treating it as a bit of a laugh.

On the other hand I thought she didn’t actually leave home and move to London until almost 16? She may have “turned up” in London before that, but gone home. Also, controversial I know but things were different then....hear me out....Sam Fox did her first topless shoots at 15 and was in the Sun aged 16. I think you could legally leave school at 15 if you wanted. When I was at school around the same time it wasn’t unknown among my friends to have an older boyfriend in their early 20s if you were 14,15.

I’ve no idea who the 20 something guy was but she could really duck him up if his name gets out.

As an aside I’d like to watch that documentary, I understand it was a member of Sparks who saw Jimmy Savile taking a young teen girl back to his dressing room, and intervened, told her not to go and alerted a producer.

Reactions: 6
OT: Any suggestions for super fine, thin hair? I feel like I've exhausted all product options. Nothing does what it says on the tin. I am so close to just buzzing it all off 😩
Might be an obvious one here, but have you tried taking biotin? It seems to have worked wonders for a couple of friends.

Reactions: 4
Nothing too bad but I will spoiler this discussion as it relates to underage relationship
So on the one hand I do think Sali is at best naive to keep bringing up this somewhat problematic part of her history in such a blasé manner. It might have been “ok” for her but she does herself no favours treating it as a bit of a laugh.

On the other hand I thought she didn’t actually leave home and move to London until almost 16? She may have “turned up” in London before that, but gone home. Also, controversial I know but things were different then....hear me out....Sam Fox did her first topless shoots at 15 and was in the Sun aged 16. I think you could legally leave school at 15 if you wanted. When I was at school around the same time it wasn’t unknown among my friends to have an older boyfriend in their early 20s if you were 14,15.

I’ve no idea who the 20 something guy was but she could really duck him up if his name gets out.

As an aside I’d like to watch that documentary, I understand it was a member of Sparks who saw Jimmy Savile taking a young teen girl back to his dressing room, and intervened, told her not to go and alerted a producer.
She Here's Pool YouTube interview she clearly says she was 14 when she moved in with her adult BF and his female flatmate and never went back.

I see what your saying re the Sam Fox era. But the wink wink "jailbait" "mentor" wink wink of SH is grim. It really irks. If she thinks it was all good fun and part of the 90s smash hits/the sun culture, that's between her and her therapist. But it's not the case for most girls involved with adult men at that young age. She shouldn't imply so.many are not so fortunate in their outcomes as as She Here.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Too cool to have trauma. And still playing that banjo even though the *mood’s all changed.

*Eminem

Reactions: 7

I really couldn’t give a tit if the man involved gets consequences from his behaviour. He should. It wasn’t called grooming then, but no half decent man would have done it. Fourteen, FFS. Using The Sun as a marker of what was acceptable in the 90s simply doesn’t work.

I find it disturbing that someone of Sali’s age and social awareness would minimise and even celebrate this, attempting to make it part of her ‘cool girl’ persona.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
You know what, I feel desperately sad that she ran away and no one seemed to give a rats ass. Most parents would have knocked on every door until they found their child but the way she tells it, they didn't bat an eyelid. It's all so sad

Reactions: 24
Too cool to have trauma. And still playing that banjo even though the *mood’s all changed.

*Eminem
The weird thing is that Sali is actually pretty troubled. There's all kinds of stories floating around media people about her behaviour in the past. She's behaved appallingly with past boyfriends, there was lots of gaslighting and manipulation and emotional abuse.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Didn't she go out with the man who was in the video for Stay by Shakespeare's Sister? Who also went out with Keren from Bananarama?

Does anyone else remember this?

• Wow
Didn't she go out with the man who was in the video for Stay by Shakespeare's Sister? Who also went out with Keren from Bananarama?

Does anyone else remember this?
I definitely remember her tweeting about it years ago.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.