Sali Hughes #41 Head and Shoulders above the rest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you remember what the BP med was called, @Valiofthedolls?

If you aren't biotin deficient (which can cause follicle damage), taking extra isn't going to do anything. It's water soluble and your body can't store it. You will just pee the excess out

I am not anti supplement or anything. I take about 50 damned pills a day 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
It was (pasted from my notes!) spironolactone/Aldactone-she wanted me to take one 50mg tablet a day for the first week then up it to two. I’m perimenopausal and it’s -hair/receding- been gradually getting worse over the past couple of years. I understand the rationale behind taking it but I’m not quite ready to commit to such a “serious” medication-probably for the long term. There are some (a few!) peer-reviewed studies out there about its efficacy but I dunno, on balance I’m not (ironically!) there yet about taking it.

ETA happy to provide the whole shebang that she prescribed if that’s helpful-let me know!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I think some of Sali’s past must be quite painful for her - definitely her strained relationship with her parents and that from what she says they didn’t seem bothered when she ran away to London (but it’s quite possible we don’t know the whole story, also wasn’t her uncle supposedly around in London at the time?). Sometimes it’s easier to turn painful parts of our past into a cool girl narrative but maybe I’m extrapolating and she’s fine with it. I’m the same age as her and some of my friends went out with guys in their 20s when we were 14 or 15 and at the time was considered a status symbol to have an older boyfriend with a job and a car which in retrospect is pretty fucked up. My daughter is 13 and the idea of her in a year or so sleeping with a 20 something is horrific!
And am still taking the brewers yeast too (and a million other supplements (😂) @SqualorVictoria !

Reactions: 16
It was (pasted from my notes!) spironolactone/Aldactone-she wanted me to take one 50mg tablet a day for the first week then up it to two. I’m perimenopausal and it’s -hair/receding- been gradually getting worse over the past couple of years. I understand the rationale behind taking it but I’m not quite ready to commit to such a “serious” medication-probably for the long term. There are some (a few!) peer-reviewed studies out there about its efficacy but I dunno, on balance I’m not (ironically!) there yet about taking it.

ETA happy to provide the whole shebang that she prescribed if that’s helpful-let me know!
Ah, that's a DHT blocker. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be taking that long term either. I was hoping you were going to say propranolol, which I am prescribed PRN for anxiety. I'm in surgical meno, and while I'm not noticing more hair in the shower atm, the right side of my head at the front is alarmingly thin compared to the left side. I wonder if it's to do with sleep position. (I do already use a silk pillowcase)

Reactions: 3
Absolutely. Also, I think the key thing to remember here is that this commentary is taking place on Tattle. No one is contacting her to make demands on how she handles it or what she should say. We are allowed to make critical and fair commentary, we aren't contravening any rules by discussing it here.

Reactions: 13
I simply said that I was sad if none of the adults in her life tried to stop her based on the way she tells it. As you say we don't know the ins and outs of it but based on what she has said it's sad. Agree that this is none of our business but you could argue the same thing about everything else she puts out in the public domain. She said we spoke about her marriage (maintenance shag), her divorce (again, she has spoken about that too), and so on and so forth. If it's not up for public comment then perhaps it is something that should not be brought up or casually dropped into many conversations. Again, these are the stories she has put into the public domain.

I think mostly people are sad that this culture existed and Leaving the whole relationship out of the equation it is hard to argue that Sali hasn't glorified the teenage tearaway thing.
Perhaps my choice of the word glamorize was poor, and I wholeheartedly respect our right to disagree with one another, however to suggest that ANY poster truly thinks this based on what anyone has said is frankly, preposterous.
I agree that no one here thinks either of those things, that's why I haven't suggested anyone does. As I said, I meant that is the logical endpoint to the some of the thinking I think is displayed in some comments.

I agree that no one here thinks either of those things, that's why I haven't suggested anyone does. As I said, I meant that is the logical endpoint to the some of the thinking I think is displayed in some comments.
At best, semantics.

I got a bit triggered and blurted out some stuff in high emotion.

The person in the wrong is always the abuser. I don't blame SH.

I've unfollowed her now as starting to find her million dollar hair actually upsetting too. I've got issues it seems!

I'll have to catch up on her shenanigans here.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
She broke down crying in a grief podcast about her mother’s death and their relationship, and how that cycle was now broken with her own offspring. Fair fucks to her.

A chosen narrative to help you cope with what went on is logical really. I have a version of this in my life, I am an observer, but it’s a fragile, fragile version that’s been created and perpetuated just so people can function as best they can without anger.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I wonder if it's to do with sleep position. (I do already use a silk pillowcase)
Are you by any chance right handed? I ask, because mine is too, and (pseudoscience alert!) my hairdresser says she can generally tell whether someone’s left/right handed depending on which side/temple of their hair is in better nick, and that whatever “side/handed” you are, that tends to be the side that’s brushed more, heat-styled more, generally absent-mindedly messed with more throughout the day.

I know that’s only extremely tangentially related to hair loss/receding, rather than hair condition, but mines noticeably thinner on the right than the left too and I really struggle to come up with an explanation which would allow me to do something to mitigate that.

Are you by any chance right handed? I ask, because mine is too, and (pseudoscience alert!) my hairdresser says she can generally tell whether someone’s left/right handed depending on which side/temple of their hair is in better nick, and that whatever “side/handed” you are, that tends to be the side that’s brushed more, heat-styled more, generally absent-mindedly messed with more throughout the day.

I know that’s only extremely tangentially related to hair loss/receding, rather than hair condition, but mines noticeably thinner on the right than the left too and I really struggle to come up with an explanation which would allow me to do something to mitigate that.
Hmm, I was born of an era when people thought it prudent to make a leftie a rightie. It stuck with some things and not others. I write with my right hand, but throw with my left etc

Thinking about it, I do hold styling appliances in my right hand . But I normally let my hair air dry and I don't really brush it (beef face)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh that's interesting. Mine is thinner on my dominant side as well.

I've read a few articles I recent weeks that a lot of people are struggling with hair loss at the moment. Seems to be a side effect of the pandemic. Constant stress. (And in my case vitamin D deficiency and weight loss on top of that)

At best, semantics.
Please don't assume bad faith. My post clearly said that was the logical *conclusion* of what was being said not that that was what was being said or what people thought. I would never assume I knew someone else's motives and try to tell them I knew what they meant/thought better than they themselves. The point I was making - poorly it seems - is that posters here *don't* think like that so why is how SH describes that time and what happened being questioned and scrutinised. And some posters clearly did express that she has a duty to talk about it in a "responsible" way. No. Absolutely not.
The comment re liberal/choice feminism (very much not the same thing) confused me. I don't subscribe to "choice" feminism.

Reactions: 2
I still think recruiting it as part of a cool-girl image is dubious. My opinion, obviously 🤷‍♀️

Hmmm 🤷🏼‍♀️ I just don’t know. I’ve stopped blow drying unless I have to and use the bare minimum dry shampoo these days (my hair is super fine and it’s humid here so sometimes it’s a necessity). I do have- but haven’t yet consistently used- The Ordinary serum for hair density. I’m not expecting much from it tho- anyone tried it? I keep forgetting to use it because you’re meant to apply it to clean hair at night, and I never wash my hair at night.

Now, if I could just take all the hairs that have started growing on my chin, lip, cheek, below my brows and other unwanted places in last couple of years and pull them through the top of my face instead of them poking through the middle and bottom (like the play dough barber shop man’s hair!), I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be receding at all. I know that as you age, things head south with gravity, but I never thought that meant your head hair would migrate to your lip, chin etc 😔

ETA I make myself sound utterly GORGEOUS! 😂 While I’m concerned about my hair, I’m mostly at peace with the general aging process, and I do own- and use a sharp pair of tweezers on the worst of my whiskers so I don’t scare any passing small children or animals

Hmmm 🤷🏼‍♀️ I just don’t know. I’ve stopped blow drying unless I have to and use the bare minimum dry shampoo these days (my hair is super fine and it’s humid here so sometimes it’s a necessity). I do have- but haven’t yet consistently used- The Ordinary serum for hair density. I’m not expecting much from it tho- anyone tried it? I keep forgetting to use it because you’re meant to apply it to clean hair at night, and I never wash my hair at night.

Now, if I could just take all the hairs that have started growing on my chin, lip, cheek, below my brows and other unwanted places in last couple of years and pull them through the top of my face instead of them poking through the middle and bottom (like the play dough barber shop man’s hair!), I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be receding at all. I know that as you age, things head south with gravity, but I never thought that meant your head hair would migrate to your lip, chin etc 😔
I use it and am on my 4th bottle. I'm a scuzzbucket and still use it even on unwashed hair. It's all absorbed by morning. If it helps or not is anyone's guess but I'll keep going!

I have that serum too, but I forget to use is. Sometimes I put a rosemary hair-growth oil on the right side, but I don't like how it makes my hair feel or look. Smells good though, all herbally and hippy

I use it and am on my 4th bottle. I'm a scuzzbucket and still use it even on unwashed hair. It's all absorbed by morning. If it helps or not is anyone's guess but I'll keep going!
Thanks! I guess I’ll stick it next to my toothbrush so I don’t forget it at night. As long as it doesn’t make my hair actively fall out it’s worth a punt at this stage! I’ll report back

Thanks! I guess I’ll stick it next to my toothbrush so I don’t forget it at night. As long as it doesn’t make my hair actively fall out it’s worth a punt at this stage! I’ll report back
I've started putting my hair in a loose plait before bed to stop it knotting and I pat some of the serum on the ends too.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.