Sali Hughes #41 Head and Shoulders above the rest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have boy brow, but I need it in black because my brows are so dark. I actually prefer to use the Superdrug collection clear mascara - it's so cheap and I don't find that it makes your brows crispy at all, plus you only need a little bit to keep them in place all day. Keep meaning to panic buy a few incase they ever get discontinued 🤣
It’s a wise idea! I recommended that same product earlier in the thread. I’m in the position now (not been back to the UK since pre-pandemic, not sure when I’ll get there) that I’ve run out. Given that we’re still masked here, my unruly brows are the only thing that shows. Panic buy with impunity! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Not fully answering your brief but bear with. I have heard good things about Essence brow gel (they do the wonderful Princess mascara and kohl pencil I love) from Wilko, about £3.
They do a couple of colours (I know) but the light colour is not at all strong, and texture is good and not crispy.
Also heard good things about ELF clear brow gel, about £5 I think. Again not supposed to go crispy.
You’re in good company, Nigella’s favourite mascara is from Wilko!

Reactions: 5
You’re in good company, Nigella’s favourite mascara is from Wilko!

It is so good - I think I was influenced by her (sorry Sali). I wear contacts and so many wettish mascaras stick to them which drives me crazy. The Essence Princess waterproof still looks glossy and wet but stays in place. And £3.50!
(@Mselvista, I also remembered the Collection one is good, as recommended by @TheSilverFox).

Reactions: 7
Can anyone recommend a dupe for Brow Boy? I hate the crispiness of most brow gels and like Brow Boy which I have in brown. I only really need colour on the outer part of my brow which can look a bit gappy but want something with similar flexible texture/consistency for the rest to keep them in place. I know there's lots of supposed dupes but the ones I've seen are all tinted. Cheers!
NYX does a colourless wax crayon that I love. No crispiness

Reactions: 3
I tried the Wilco mascara but didn’t really rate it.

I tried the Korean waterproof mascara that Alexandra Anele recommended - Lash Kill. It’s great.

Reactions: 2
I second the Beauty Pie one (lol almost called it Beauty Lie which would have pleased some of you!)
I think Boy Brow is the superior product but the BP one is pretty good and the tube is larger too so presumably has more goo in it.

Reactions: 4
I’m surprised no brand has done a double ended wand, big head for lashes, little head for lower lashes and brow

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I’m surprised no brand has done a double ended wand, big head for lashes, little head for lower lashes and brow
They should! It’s such a great idea, and we know double ended mascaras can be made, remember those black and white ones anyone?

I tried the Wilco mascara but didn’t really rate it.
I’m kind of gutted to hear this. I thought maybe the only thing stopping me from looking as glamorous as Nigella was not being near a Wilco store.

• Haha
Review of the Olivia Yallop book in the Saturday Times. Haven't read the review - my subscription's expired - but good title.

1637375741352.png

• Wow
They should! It’s such a great idea, and we know double ended mascaras can be made, remember those black and white ones anyone?

I’m kind of gutted to hear this. I thought maybe the only thing stopping me from looking as glamorous as Nigella was not being near a Wilco store.
MAC have one that kinda works for this. Haute & Naughty lash, you can unscrew the main part of the lid and it’s a thick brush for upper lashes and then there’s another lid right on the end that pulls out a skinny brush that’s fab for lower lashes.

I think it’s Guardian Gift Guide week. If it’s anything like past years, Dan will be able to read about the men’s soaps he’s getting #kindlygifted this year

• Haha
Reactions: 17
This isn’t true. There are plenty of small time (c200k) influencers that have somehow managed to buy million pound homes or live relatively lavish lifestyles. This makes me wonder how well she has researched this book.

99593D0E-C503-494D-96D6-C84FB6E2628E.jpeg

This isn’t true. There are plenty of small time (c200k) influencers that have somehow managed to buy million pound homes or live relatively lavish lifestyles. This makes me wonder how well she has researched this book.

View attachment 877352
Agree. Maybe depends on how she defines 'wealthy' but, from the very little I know, it seems that influencers with only around 100k followers are making a comfortable living from it.

Em Sheldon, who gave evidence to the select committee on influencers, has only 121k Instagram followers and yet, from what she says, has bought a flat in west London which not a lot of 20somethings are doing these days.

And, given the expensive additions to her home and wardrobe that SH is kind enough to share with us, she seems to be doing ok with less than 200k followers.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
It's also not clear if the assertion is Yallop's or Bloodworth's. It's fair to assume the former given the context but not definite.

Plenty of the instamum community. Take your pick. I can think of one sub 50k who was earning enough for her husband to give up his professional job for a while so they were sustaining a family of 5 on the income from influencing mainly (although she does other things too tho I doubt they are very lucrative)
It's also not clear if the assertion is Yallop's or Bloodworth's. It's fair to assume the former given the context but not definite.
This is true. It’s not clear in the article.

It’s a shame though if the book focuses on the mega influencers. The micro influencers are, in many ways, more interesting as a phenomenon.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.