Sali Hughes #41 Head and Shoulders above the rest

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Now, if I could just take all the hairs that have started growing on my chin, lip, cheek, below my brows and other unwanted places in last couple of years and pull them through the top of my face instead of them poking through the middle and bottom (like the play dough barber shop man’s hair!), I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be receding at all. I know that as you age, things head south with gravity, but I never thought that meant your head hair would migrate to your lip, chin etc 😔"

@Valiofthedolls
I feel your pain. I'm constantly plucking unwanted hairs, otherwise I'd have a moustache and probably a proper beard, too. How much hair growth is normal anyway? I'm 44 so not there yet. Wish Sali did a column on this rather than a bleeping lipstick machine.

Reactions: 16
If you’ve forgotten or are unable to access emotions it isn’t your fault. Often people with either absent/neglectful or bullying parents find it hard to actually feel their feelings - they can appear cold (both to others and themselves).

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I use salicylic acid just a drop when a chimney chin hair is sprouting. Makes it easy to pluck out about 24hours later.

Don’t want to re-ignite the other debate but can I just say- I’m glad times have changed. I think they’ve changed for the better.

Reactions: 12
If you’ve forgotten or are unable to access emotions it isn’t your fault. Often people with either absent/neglectful or bullying parents find it hard to actually feel their feelings - they can appear cold (both to others and themselves).
Yes, definitely. This is me. Or was for most of my life

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I use salicylic acid just a drop when a chimney chin hair is sprouting. Makes it easy to pluck out about 24hours later.
oo interesting tip, what’s the science behind it?

getting nervous cos I’ve been borderline hirsute since 20 so dreading it getting worse with age. Threaders told me I was “the hairiest white girl”, I knew it was bad when I went to Turkey and the local barber offered to shave me. Pcos tests inconclusive, and GP said there was no point to them anyway. Has anyone tried electrolysis?

Is it possible that a child abuse victim may have ambivalent feelings re pedophilia/abuse so they don’t have to confront the abuse they suffered? Easier to look the other way or minimise than see it for how wretched it actually is/was? If that is the case then I’m sad and sorry for anyone who has had their perspective so skewed when they were young & vulnerable. I guess it is like being hit as a child as punishment & then thinking ‘well it never did me any harm’ as you wallop your own kid to teach them a lesson.

getting nervous cos I’ve been borderline hirsute since 20 so dreading it getting worse with age. Threaders told me I was “the hairiest white girl”, I knew it was bad when I went to Turkey and the local barber offered to shave me. Pcos tests inconclusive, and GP said there was no point to them anyway. Has anyone tried electrolysis?
I did many years ago. It isn't permanent no matter what they say :(
It seems to have fallen out of favour now - I only hear about laser. Haven't tried that. One of the joys of aging is failing eyesight. Hides a multitude of sins 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Don’t want to re-ignite the other debate but can I just say- I’m glad times have changed. I think they’ve changed for the better.
Yes they have. SH grew up in an era where her heroes such as David Bowie (she has written about him loads) dated teenage girls. She might have seen this as normal or no big deal, who knows. Nowadays an adult man dating a young teenager wouldn't fly

My guess is it exfoliates the skin and makes the hair easier to access?

Reactions: 3
I have a single course and stubborn lip hair that I enjoy periodically tweezing. It is immensely satisfying

Reactions: 5
I’m glad times have changed too. Looking back we (teenage girls) were collectively groomed by a culture & society that saw an older man with a younger girl as a bit of a lark. Something to snigger about but not take too seriously. Perhaps it is unsurprising that idea hasn’t moved on for some people.

I shall shut up now! But it was a v interesting & thought provoking conversation. Lots to think about.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I did many years ago. It isn't permanent no matter what they say :(
It seems to have fallen out of favour now - I only hear about laser. Haven't tried that. One of the joys of aging is failing eyesight. Hides a multitude of sins 😂
Laser wouldn’t work for me because my hair and skin are light, but my brunette S-I-L has had laser on lip and bikini with mixed effects- she considers it not worth the time or money- though that’s totally anecdotal!

Since the pandemic I wax my lip myself using Nads facial strips which are decent and work well enough for me, but prob not as effective as something “hot” which I’m scared to use. I then tweeze the lip strays, chin and one on my cheek! I’ll def try salicylic first on that one next time tho because it often breaks at the skin when I try to get it

Reactions: 3
No idea why salicylic works on hairs for tweezing. A friend told me about it, I tried it, it works for me!
As it’s used in hard skin foot cream I imagine it takes a layer of skin off? It’s also used for spots.
Not suitable for diabetics I think.

Reactions: 2
I had/have hair loss problems. I *think* it is a bit better, however my temples have started to lose hair. It did come back a bit, but now it is gone again, worse. I only noticed the other day,
for goodness sake. I thought I was doing better.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.