Sali Hughes #39 Four fridges? Still not as cold as a reply from Sali

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I just don't get the point of it. Take it/don't take it it won't harm you, might/might not have results seems to be the gist.
So she doesn't want to piss off these companies that keep sending her free stuff but won't actually say they are useless. Or are they.
Much fence sitting.
That's what I thought. She is meant to be a "beauty expert". Hedging your bets does not equate to expertise. Why even bother recommending them. Utterly pointless.

Reactions: 14
I think @Disillusioned's correct. She just googled "Does collagen work?", once again proving herself entirely redundant. I don't think she even scrolled to the second page of results, to get beyond the rubbish hits like WebMD to some actual science

Reactions: 13
She doesn't even delineate the central debate around oral collagen: whether there is any point taking it if it doesn't survive the gut
I wanted to note her failure to address this key point, but my brain shrivelled and died at the pointlessness of it all, so thank you.

I Googled and the similarity between the first couple of hits and her explanation was striking. I think she just got confused with the difference between amino acids/proteins, collagen/gelatine etc and gave up. The errors she made just make this so obvious.

imo anyone writing on skincare should get themselves some basic scientific knowledge. It’s always been very clear that she’s never bothered. She has zero curiosity about how and why specific ingredients work. As she said, it’s all about product and launches for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I wanted to note her failure to address this key point, but my brain shrivelled and died at the pointlessness of it all, so thank you.

I Googled and the similarity between the first couple of hits and her explanation was striking. I think she just got confused with the difference between amino acids/proteins, collagen/gelatine etc and gave up. The errors she made just make this so obvious.

imo anyone writing on skincare should get themselves some basic scientific knowledge. It’s always been very clear that she’s never bothered. She has zero curiosity about how and why specific ingredients work. As she said, it’s all about product and launches for her.
Instead she just muddied the whole thing by pointlessly introducing antioxidants

Whether or not an unrelated thing works has no bearing on whether collagen does 🤪 #science

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I see she is following Alice Evans who is trying to shut this place down. Alice has also offered money to anyone that can reveal/Dox the identity of anyone posting on the Ioan Gruffudd and Alice Evans thread. It’s in the Celeb forum and worth a read.
Sal you are the reason I joined this site. You have great connections and you are a good influencer/tit beauty journalist but most of all you bulldozed a decent person out of a job so do one.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
What does she mean that experts were adopting antioxidants but industry professionals like herself
That is a very fancy way to describe copy-pasting press releases

also, off to read the Alice Evans thread. There must be some great shizz on there 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Over the past 20 years I've been through three phases of taking a collagen supplement. 20 years ago it was being marketed as a supplement for improving joint function but, knowing that collagen also played a part in keeping skin looking plump, I'd thought it might help my skin too. I took it for about a year but didn't see any difference.

Then about 8 years ago I read a respected nutritionist saying that she took a collagen supplement and I thought I'd give it another go (I take a lot of supplements). Again, I took it for about a year and didn't see any difference that I could attribute to the collagen.

Since then the number of collagen supplements has continued to grow, and now being marketed specifically at skin, hair, nails. So when Beauty Pie launched supplements at the end of last year - with typical BP hype - I thought I'd try their collagen supplement. I took it for about nine months but again couldn't discern any difference.

So that's my experience of taking collagen supplements. However, if you read the reviews of the collagen supplement on the BP website (of which there are currently 359) they are overwhelmingly positive, saying how much it has improved their skin/nails/hair. Negative reviews are mostly about the taste and texture with very few saying that the result has been disappointing. I'm pretty sure, btw, that BP doesn't publish reviews selectively.

I don't know what to make of this difference between my experience and that of most reviewers. I wonder if a collagen supplement can help to make up for a lack of something in your diet - something which presumably I didn't lack but the positive reviewers did. The BP collagen supplement also includes Biotin and Vitamin C and I wonder whether it's those two (fairly cheap supplements) rather than the (expensive) collagen, that's making the difference for some people.

I also wonder though whether people are somehow being hyped into seeing results. That feels disrespectful of others' experience but there are reviews from people saying they've taken it for a month and their skin etc is so much improved. That can't be the case can it? Even if it does work for some people, surely it takes time.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Honestly there is so much more value in a review from @Aude than so many “experts” because you’ve really tried to evaluate it objectively and you’ve tried it several times. The guardian should really be paying you.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I’ve been taking a collagen supplement for about a year from Revive Active. A dermatologist on Davinia Taylor’s Insta recommended it, the one behind Decree skincare. To be fair I have noticed an improvement in my hair and nails. Not sure of the anti-ageing effect but the other benefits are worth it for me.

Reactions: 5
Quick quiz: does Sali's baked beans on toast dinner contain collagen?
Y/N?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Interestingly Dr Natalia Springs did a piece on this topic only just last week. She said there were no decent studies (such as @Aude ) as they were all marketing studies sponsored by the companies producing the supplement. She concluded that they were useless and a waste of money too.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Quick quiz: does Sali's baked beans on toast dinner contain collagen?
Y/N?
In SaliWorld it’s absolutely brimming with skin actives. Yum!

Was it @Missypissy who said SH’s content is dreary, because jesus it really is. She’s been peddling this dull as duck coddling lifestyle for so long now…

48799445-912D-416D-9499-D3A361C78EAB.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Interestingly Dr Natalia Springs did a piece on this topic only just last week. She said there were no decent studies (such as @Aude ) as they were all marketing studies sponsored by the companies producing the supplement. She concluded that they were useless and a waste of money too.
I was just about to comment on this, it's a very informative video and I didn't realise it was a multi-billion pound industry. I know she's trying a bit to be Insta-famous but really think she has integrity when it comes to selling crap we don't need. And she does actual research!

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.