Sali Hughes #37 Dark tortoise pantos women's frames

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing about that progressive consensus tweet is that she didn't even have to properly engage- the lady who tweeted her simply invited her to google it, she wasn't demanding a statement or expecting Sali to commit to a verdict. All she had to say was she had not heard of it (if she hadn't) and would look into it or something. Instead, she twisted her words and sneered with FeeBee. She's an intellectual fraud. It's astounding that she treats people who (presumably) follow her with such contempt, even when they engage politely. And she expects us to buy a book on life lessons on how we should behave? Please.
Yer wan, to all intents and purposes, ‘vibed’ scarily right wing so I wouldn’t blame Sal for not engaging.

Going off on the bloke however remains the height of twattery.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Yer wan, to all intents and purposes, ‘vibed’ scarily right wing so I wouldn’t blame Sal for not engaging.

She said 'progressive consensus' wasn't always a force for good, if she is talking about safeguarding I don't see how that's scarily right wing! Either way, she didn't have to engage in a back and forth way and she certainly didn't have to sneer with FeeBee over twisted words. She has engaged with foot fetishists with 4 followers making suggestive comments to her. She treats men like that with more politeness than those who pay her compliments or try to raise interesting points

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The "olfactory hierarchy" - based solely on how much something costs. Peak Sali

• Haha
I thought the aim of perfume was to smell nice? But for Sali it seems the ultimate goal is to wear something 'unidentifiable'

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I wonder if the over zealous Brighton pedicurist was an evil Tattler hell bent on revenge? 😉
That whole story is such bullshit. Who would sit quietly through the level of discomfort required to draw blood and cause your to walk funny for days afterwards? Are we to believe sassy Sal is such a dormouse in the wild?

I thought the aim of perfume was to smell nice? But for Sali it seems the ultimate goal is to wear something 'unidentifiable'
When I was 15, I liked obscure bands partly for the effect. Then I became an adult and liked what I liked

• Haha
The "olfactory hierarchy" - based solely on how much something costs. Peak Sali
Exactly. It seems that SH considers perfumes to be her expert niche and therefore peak snobbery ensues with every column on them, the latest one a prime example. The way she talks about perfumes is in the same tedious manner as self-proclaimed wine connoisseurs drone on about the wine bouquet.

Years ago a work conference ended with blind tasting of wines where we had to guess their price and not one person out of the 60 odd people there scored the most expensive wines well. Price-point means duck all when it comes to preference to taste and smell as far as I’m concerned.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14

I agree
She said 'progressive consensus' wasn't always a force for good, if she is talking about safeguarding I don't see how that's scarily right wing! Either way, she didn't have to engage in a back and forth way and she certainly didn't have to sneer with FeeBee over twisted words. She has engaged with foot fetishists with 4 followers making suggestive comments to her. She treats men like that with more politeness than those who pay her compliments or try to raise interesting points
The tweet made an absurd leap and SH was perfectly entitled to both not reply and refer to it. 2 leathermen at Brighton Station in the lead up to Pride has no connection to misguided policy and it's consequences in 1980s Australia.

Reactions: 9
I see what you mean but whether the tweet made an absurd leap, Sali still twisted what was actually said.

Reactions: 8
I don’t tweet myself, but Sali has tweeted for years. I don’t believe she was unaware that her tweet would be divisive. Furthermore she actually did engage almost reasonably at first. Driving up the engagement perhaps??

Reactions: 1
So now we are meant to follow fragrance trends. (Notice the uptick in "fast fragrance", eg seasonal scents by Zara et al.) Ridiculous for something so subjective. I hate capitalism

"You smell so last year."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I don’t tweet myself, but Sali has tweeted for years. I don’t believe she was unaware that her tweet would be divisive. Furthermore she actually did engage almost reasonably at first. Driving up the engagement perhaps??
It's also key to remember that the tweet was phrased in such a way (dog leash) to make it look like a man was being led around on all fours instead of the much tamer scenario of men in leather gear on their way to celebrate Pride, something that she also forgot to omit and that 'outsiders' would not have known what weekend it was when reading the tweet.

So now we are meant to follow fragrance trends. (Notice the uptick in "fast fragrance", eg seasonal scents by Zara et al.) Ridiculous for something so subjective. I hate capitalism

"You smell so last year."
It's so stupid. Fig is not 'back', she just stopped wearing it because she no doubt has hundreds others but it hardly went away for others who like it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
First comment! I arrived here the same way many of you have, was a long time reader of Sali's column since I believe the beginning! Didn't follow her on any other platform, just the Saturday column. Followed a lot of her recommendations actually and was quite pleased but noticed as of late that the quality of her columns went downhill... her recommendations for 'sustainable' products were quite lame and low-effort. I worked in the field of sustainable packaging so I was kind of surprised she couldn't, you know, just ask someone at the local uni their opinion to provide just an ounce of depth to her column. After all, if she was a completely independent reviewer she should have no problem saying that packaging calling itself sustainable isn't sustainable at all, right?

Then the great trolling fiasco happened and although I still liked Sali at that point it all sounded rather extra - there are deranged people out there but no one's that deranged to give that much of a tit about you Sali - and that's how I discovered Tattle...etc etc..

Anyway, all this to say after discovering her Twitter I realise Sali is just an empty-headed bimbo who thinks a blue check on Twitter denotes her some kind of moral and intellectual authority. I know that sounds rather mean, but hear me out... I now do work on toxic chemicals and health. The Guardian has published quite a few of articles as of late on toxic chemicals in beauty products as there has been a lot of regulatory movement on this front in the US as well as new (and unfortunate) discoveries about the prevalence of certain chemicals in beauty products. Sali has had a column in the Guardian for decades and not once has she alluded to this as far as I can see? There are SO many organisations doing important work on this...why not talk to them? Give advice on how women can still indulge in their favourite routines while reducing their exposure to chemicals. I don't know, reading her bullying that wine shop man as he's pleading Sali not to hurt him or his colleague's earning potential when she does dick all to earn the money she does really gets me. People like her and the Caitlin Moran's of the world who put no intellectual effort into their work but think they're of value because Twitter gave them a blue check and newspapers which long since sold out their journalistic integrity give them column inches really irks me.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
I'd love to ask where but am conscious of Sali and her assistants spreadsheet!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.