Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Annasho

Why is everyone falling over themselves to look like a knock-off Eric Morecambe?

Actually, that's a bit unfair. Eric's frames fitted his face.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
£98 for a lipstick is insane. Couldn’t care less about having leather case for a lipstick, although agree that more lipsticks should be refillable and made out of sustainable products, at less ridiculous price points. Sustainability only makes sense if a large proportion of people are able to get on board with it. I’m not sure we can save the world one lipstick at a time at £98 a pop.
Coudn't agree more. The sustainability point you make is excellent, and I'd add that people buying these likely have a large make-up collection already. Nobody who doesn't buy or own make-up is going for a £98 quid lipstick or start with a Hermes brand anything. Let alone a lipstick. This is for people addicted to luxury and spending money, not thrifty sustainable types.

£98 is absolutely sickening, frankly. I could eat well for a month give or take on that and usually do. I don't know how they have the nerve, really. The assumed buyer for a £98 Hermes lipstick is basically - and let's be clear about this - the lavishly overpaid and the celebrity class. The kind of people who take private jets or 16 first class flights in six months and own three houses and wear clothing items once. or twice max, but using a lipstick you can change the bullet on as long as they manufacture that range (I give it less than three years) make them super eco heroes, right?

Imagine paying ninety-eight quid for a lippie and losing it on a night out as we've all done, btw. I guess it's for people for whom nienty-eight quid is chump change.

Looking at the ingredients list on cultbeauty, they are not dissimilar to other high end lipsticks, so not convinced about the ‘natural/sustainable raw ingredients’ credentials. If I recall correctly SH already featured them in another column couple of years ago.
The lipstick contains shea butter, squalane and jojoba oil which are cheap and often included in high street make-up lines at this point. Pigments won't cost much. The leather for the cases which seem to be THE Hermes selling point, is offcuts ... waste. I love how waste whether coffee grounds or leather, always somehow ends up more costly that mainstream manufacturing in a lot of these niche eco products aimed at the upper middle classes. Labour costs for sewing and stamping will factor in. Be interested to know where the cases are sewn. Hermes factory in France? Poorer end of the EU (Romania or Portugal) for cheaper labour costs? Or Asia for ultra-cheap labour costs.

• Heart

FrankieBelle

VIP Member
Look fantastic also have 25% off on La Roche Posay at the moment (not required, not an ad etc).

Skin unsheathed just makes me think of that awful word “degloved” and makes me want to vomit.

“Immediate perk” is also a bit wtf?
Yuk, I hate the word ‘sheath’ - my husband calls the wee cover for an umbrella a ‘sheath’ deliberately to creep me out. The Prick 🤨

• Haha
  • Sick

Yel

Chatty Member
She was just waiting to correct someone, but doesn't this show Sali is choosing to see the first comment as misinterpreting and correct what she's doing herself? If that makes any sense 😆

Screenshot_20210715-104140_Instagram.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
She really does @Mustard
From an article a few years ago: she admits here she doesn't live in London so why have it in her Twitter bio. Oh yes, for showy reasons of course

Launches
I go to so few launches that I think my reputation among PRs is poor. Perhaps I should go to more, but for me they are not a cost effective use of my time. I don’t live in London, I’m a single mother with no paid childcare, and so to travel there in order to see a moisturiser or lipstick seems wasteful – in terms of time and money (I could have written a feature in the same time and unlike salaried journalists, I am not paid for attending launches, only for writing words). I have several branches to my job and I can’t justify going to a launch when there’s always something I should be writing at home. I also prefer not to attend functions where every journalist hears the same presentation, sees the same demonstration etc. This frustrates some brands and PRs, and I understand why. But what I tend to do instead is sit at a table in a London cafe or bar for a whole day, and have PRs drop in one after the other to discuss which products they have coming up. This way I can pack in much more information and product, have unique, tailored and more insightful conversations, and can manage my own schedule. It’s a much better way of working for me, and yields better content from my perspective.

• Haha
  • Wow

Pixie06

VIP Member
Of course she was asked first to write this, of course she was :rolleyes:

So instead of just supporting Molly Gunn, Sali had to let her know she a) got her sloppy seconds and b) knew better than Molly not to accept the commission. Women supporting women
THIS!!! And she wonders why there is thread after thread about her!

• Haha

melfish

VIP Member
But we're the liars. OK, got it

It just seems such a weird thing to repeatedly lie about. I saw numerous people directly ask her whether she dyed her hair (when it was brown) and she always said no, she couldn't, she was allergic, blah blah blah. But all along she was colouring it with something because here her regrowth is clearly an ashy brown

I mean, you lie about that so what else are you lying about, you know? When your USP is honesty, but you can't even be straight about something as basic and innocuous as hair colour ...

Last edited:
  • Heart

anais750185

Chatty Member
Oh God - had a feeling she's try and equate her trolling ordeal with that of the England team. If she's given a platform about this, it's absolutely disgraceful.

• Sick
  • Wow

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Sharon Horgan had put Sali in a 'follow Friday' tweet (remember when those were a thing), she said something like follow Sali, she's great! And he replied that's the last thing I would say about that woman

• Haha
  • Wow

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I did watch but stopped after she started promoting a special bin that you could buy to put your wishcycling in (great word thankyou). Because that's another essential purchase. A bin. To put bottles in. Before they get shipped to somewhere else to become the problem of someone else.
But the bin was pink! And matched her bathroom tiles! :rolleyes:
Crazy isn't it - the mantra is Keep Buying Stuff. Whilst pretending it is solving a problem. I really think Sali has lost all perspective re product. She boasts about buying 10 bottles of something, and multiple purchases of other things to save the bother of transferring stuff from one bag to another, plus the mountain of free stuff she gets sent.
She has so little concept of what is green and sustainable (despite the Aveda conference she flew to 🤭) it is completely laughable companies chose her to promote it.

• Heart

LyraBalaqua

VIP Member
I had a weird dream a couple of nights ago and I was at Sali’s house.

She was wearing a white bath robe and a towel turban , she had friends there ( a family) and we had words , I don’t know what about, and she asked me to leave!🙀. I went to get my coat and she had clothes everywhere , rails and rails of clothes. I couldn’t remember what coat I’d worn and shouted Sali “ Sali , do you remember what coat I was wearing?” She shouts back “No, just leave”.

😂😂😂, I usually forget dreams but this one stuck.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19

Gentlemensrelish

Chatty Member
Sod it, wanged that one in to ASA. All the passive-aggressive justification in the world doesn't stop something being an advert.

• Heart

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
She stares at people’s feet and judges them for having insect bites on holiday? Also Tampons = still not there yet.

• Haha

Aude

VIP Member
I think it was probably a huge deal for her to acknowledge that she had behaved badly (and only did so in response to irrefutable evidence). So the nearest she could get to it was to a) apologise for hurt feelings and b) imply that there had been fault on both sides.

I've probably mentioned before a book about cognitive dissonance that her behaviour often brings to mind. It's called 'Mistakes were made (but not by me): Why we justify foolish beliefs, bad decisions and hurtful actions'.

usandthem

Polly Vernon did write the article ‘you all hate me because I’m thin’ or something to that effect and I’ve side eyed her stuff ever since. It was very self congratulatory.
Not sure if it’s the same article, but she did write an article in Grazia about losing weight after a nasty breakup and went into a massive detail about how she’d kept it off by not eating carbs and walking miles every day, if I recall correctly. I actually wrote to grazia to complain as I felt as an ex-anorexic that the tone of the article was inflammatory and could trigger people with eating disorders. Never got a response.

42916747-352D-41FC-81C8-DA2158E19DCB.jpeg

This paragraph from PV’s article in The Times really irked me- not only because it totally misrepresents the main reasons why influencers are critiqued on this site which have nothing to do with them being ‘females, fluffy or spoilt’. I do not think influencers are fluffy, on the contrary- they are tough and calculating. The point about some influencers turning over huge amounts of money is lame tokenism to the right-wing audience of the newspaper and not relevant for the argument in the slightest, or only relevant in that any journalist worth their salt will be asking if the money is made with integrity and in line with the current regulations.

I’m sick and tired of seeing women bashing other women with faux feminism drivel as accusing them of ‘women-on-women sexism’. Never hear a man say that to another man, do we?

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart