Sali Hughes #35 She wore Vampire's Wife dresses when they were still Vampire's Girlfriend

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Giorgio Beverly Hills (also worn by strict Catholic boss lady) was headache inducing. I remember thinking my eyes might melt when we were cooped up in the car.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Rachel Syme is probably the best writer on perfume.

I might have posted this quote before but it’s so good it is worth repeating: “People are scared of smelling like old ladies because nobody wants to smell like death. But so many of the best perfumes smell like the particular way glamorous older women remind us of mortality. If you love perfume, eventually you are going to have to reckon with Miss Havisham, specifically with the Miss Havisham who lives in your own heart, and the fastest route to doing that is to seek out the absolute most powder-bomb floral perfume you can find. Frederic Malle's famous, gorgeous Iris Poudre is a perfect place to start.

Iris Poudre is one of the two perfumes that comes most immediately to mind when I think of "old lady perfumes," or when someone says they don't want to smell like an old lady and I think that they don't know what they're missing. Old ladies have all the best stories; old ladies are family secrets and murder mysteries; the clues you failed to notice; the rambling, boring conversation that starts out as small talk and turns and turns into something darker and stranger, riveting, making all the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Everything you have done that you think is cool, or shocking, or humiliating or sad, old ladies have already done, and done more and done better.”

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I have always rather liked 'old lady' scents. I love all rose perfumes and they are often associated with old ladies. Also a fan of Estee Lauder and they can often be a bit old ladyish in a good way. Same with Guerlain.

I despise being told what to wear by a snippy journalist. By all means seek out reviews and look for advice if you want it, but being TOLD that if you wear something you are 'this' and if you like something else you are 'that' is just pathetic. Hughes is a marketing person's wet dream.

Reactions: 21
I love Guerlain ; Shalimar and Mitsouko being two of my favourites and I suppose old ladyish.

Who made Sali a perfume expert anyway, She Here herself?

Seeing as she boasts she can instantly colour match the correct foundation on others when she herself wears the wrong shade, her opinion on perfumes should be treated with the same hesitation.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
The other thing about 'old lady' scents is that they are associated with old ladies because they're the perfumes that were popular in their generation. I'm sure there will become a time when Flowerbomb and super sweet scents will be looked at as old fashioned because the new generations will associate them with previous

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The other thing about 'old lady' scents is that they are associated with old ladies because they're the perfumes that were popular in their generation. I'm sure there will become a time when Flowerbomb and super sweet scents will be looked at as old fashioned because the new generations will associate them with previous
Yes! I love the idea of old ladies in Vive la Juicy and Daisy. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Mitsouko so reminds me of my Mum. She has stopped wearing it now but when I smell it I immediately think of her. Trying to get her to wear it again as it is so lovely. Not sure I can bring myself to wear it as it feels like 'her' fragrance. Perfume is so tied to emotions and experiences isn't it? I can smell some perfumes and be back to the place I worked, in love with the unsuitable guy and wondering where to go out that night. I feel that way about Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan and Beautiful by Estee Lauder.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Old ladies have all the best stories; old ladies are family secrets and murder mysteries; the clues you failed to notice; the rambling, boring conversation that starts out as small talk and turns and turns into something darker and stranger, riveting, making all the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Everything you have done that you think is cool, or shocking, or humiliating or sad, old ladies have already done, and done more and done better.”
I love this. We (society) disparage the elderly so much, especially women.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Ah. If that annoyed you then wait til you hear the billion times she says Portrait of a Lady. She does know that occasionally she could just say 'it' doesn't she?

I realised something else that annoys me. This insistence she has that it takes a special kind of woman (ie her) to wear big 'slutty' unusual perfumes. Even saying 'you have to be woman enough to wear a perfume like this'. Always the slight judgement implied.
Just like her stance on lipgloss ( 'Leave the jammy glosses to the teens – a woman has earned the face and confidence for lipstick' ). Always judging.

• Sick
  • Haha
Just like her stance on lipgloss ( 'Leave the jammy glosses to the teens – a woman has earned the face and confidence for lipstick' ). Always judging.
Have never forgotten this from an early “colin”.

DA0B1901-3FA6-4FC4-BF22-A55E69C5F6C4.jpeg

Matte lipstick “less pretty” on those over 30. 30!

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 23
So a woman has earned the face and confidence to wear proper lipstick but there's only a short window she can wear matte lipstick in? Such absolute rubbish. For someone who claims to not care about rules she sure has a lot

• Heart
  • Haha
This is so ageist!

Also, since when is she warm-coloured? I thought she was the whitest of white- like Snow White but even rarer, obvs.

Reactions: 15
And let's be honest, the women in the Robert Palmer video looked amazing. Wouldn't mind looking like them myself

• Heart
I like Samantha Scriven - she writes about everything from Avon and Yves Rocher to niche scents and is very grounded.

I'm pushing 60 and anything other than matte lipstick looks just wrong on me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Reapplying lipstick is 'a good look'?
Is it? No doubt Sali thinks it is sexy.
I don't dislike it but Sali seems to be a bit obsessed with putting on makeup in public. I sometimes see it as a necessary evil but I don't see it as a 'thing'.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I reapply makeup in the bathroom, in front of a mirror. To me it just feels like bad manners to whip out a compact mirror and apply it at dinner while in company. Doesn't make a difference if the compact is Chanel or not

I love Flowerbomb, God I’m basic!😁
I love it too!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Clearly along with formal education, She Here missed out on very important lessons in social etiquette and good manners when she hot footed it to the bright lights of London town, and has indeed never caught up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I love that the general consensus here is Sali is so uptight, curt and snippy - the polar opposite of how she wants to be perceived.

The further she tries to entrench herself onto the influencer bandwagon, the more ludicrous she becomes.

• Haha
  • Heart
Yes! I love the idea of old ladies in Vive la Juicy and Daisy. 😆
This will be me. I love Viva La Juicy and I don’t care who knows it 😋

So a woman has earned the face and confidence to wear proper lipstick but there's only a short window she can wear matte lipstick in? Such absolute rubbish. For someone who claims to not care about rules she sure has a lot
She chats tit most of the time. I think it’s to fill a word count because I really hope she doesn’t believe half the stuff she writes. And I use ‘write’ loosely, because most of it is unintelligible on the first reading.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.