Sali Hughes #33 Grifty shades of grey. It's a complex case.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Today’s pile of shite. She’s bailed on the chunky mani.

Has she ever mentioned facial mists before or used them on IG?
And I am getting increasingly fed up with her banging on about 'I have one of these {insert product} in every bag and every room in my house'. Not everyone can afford multiple buys. We do the radical thing of transferring stuff from one area to another as needed. We aren't all Sali 'I have pouches of all my makeup in all my bags' Hughes.

• Angry
Reactions: 22
Has she ever mentioned facial mists before or used them on IG?
And I am getting increasingly fed up with her banging on about 'I have one of these {insert product} in every bag and every room in my house'. Not everyone can afford multiple buys. We do the radical thing of transferring stuff from one area to another as needed. We aren't all Sali 'I have pouches of all my makeup in all my bags' Hughes.
So greedy grabby. Makes me feel itchy

Reactions: 3
Giving birth I felt like my insides were being torn apart...I'm a very basic witch cause facial mists didn’t cross my mind! I'm afraid my skin wasn't juicy either....

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Welcome and I'm really glad you felt welcome to post here. This thread is such a lovely group of thoughtful, incisive, compassionate and funny women.

I only got my ASD DX 2 years ago aged 57 after a lifetime of struggle and misunderstandings. I tie myself in knots trying not to be too blunt but still stuff slips out and I'm bemused why people feel hurt.
I'd like to connect somehow out of this group. I am on IG. As I don't know many women who have been diagnosed late like myself. If you feel comfortable with that please let me know and I can give you my IG tag or I am fairly easy to find tbh.

She blocked you? From
Insta?
Yes.
Welcome!
Nobody here thought your comment was remotely rude. Sali didn't have to reply. Her hair is obviously a touchy subject at the moment.
By the way if you are banned from GTL please have a good look around the different threads on Tattle for interesting topics (as well as this one obviously).
There are skincare and makeup ones too.
It is not all the poisonous nest of vipers Sali would have people believe but on the whole very supportive and friendly.
Thanks and I will have a look at other content. Thanks. :)

So @clondon you were banned from GTL?
Well that puts paid to the myth Sali never reads here - 'it would finish me {{{dramatic shudder}}}'
She obviously does and is highly pissed off there are still Tattlers there. I presume that is at the root cause of her latest outbursts. But I thought she knew that already?
Yup I was but its all good and the ban was less the comments in GTL and more my comments here on Tattle.

Who will play clondon in the My Troll Hell sequel? What name will Sali come up with this time?
No-one (me taking everything literally...) She knows my name, I doubt she will comment much on it. I have potentially been unkind myself but I genuinely have an issue with those that can't accept neurodiversity. Some of my posts if she choose to publish them wouldn't go down well but I'm just a bit done with always saying sorry for being autistic. I also hope I am accepted here on Tattle.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I'd like to connect somehow out of this group. I am on IG. As I don't know many women who have been diagnosed late like myself. If you feel comfortable with that please let me know and I can give you my IG tag or I am fairly easy to find tbh.

Yes.

Thanks and I will have a look at other content. Thanks. :)

Yup I was but its all good and the ban was less the comments in GTL and more my comments here on Tattle.

No-one (me taking everything literally...) She knows my name, I doubt she will comment much on it. I have potentially been unkind myself but I genuinely have an issue with those that can't accept neurodiversity. Some of my posts if she choose to publish them wouldn't go down well but I'm just a bit done with always saying sorry for being autistic. I also hope I am accepted here on Tattle.
You were not unkind with that one brassy comment though. That was a mere observation and if she weren't such a professional victim she would admit that.

Reactions: 15
Can I ask a question/get some advice? My hair is very like Sali's, dark and very fine. In lockdown 1 I got tot to fully see how grey I was going and started to put a lighter colour on, chestnutty to try and soften the colour. I was also contemplating doing what Sali has done, but am glad I didn't!!! What is everyone else doing to about this greying situation?

Reactions: 6
Can I ask a question/get some advice? My hair is very like Sali's, dark and very fine. In lockdown 1 I got tot to fully see how grey I was going and started to put a lighter colour on, chestnutty to try and soften the colour. I was also contemplating doing what Sali has done, but am glad I didn't!!! What is everyone else doing to about this greying situation?
I‘m moving my parting every few weeks and waiting for inspiration / trying to get used to it. I have my mum as a living warning to what happens when you dye your greying hair brown - the maintenance is insane.
Has the lighter colour worked for you? It’s something I’m considering for my next hairdresser appointment.

Reactions: 2
I'm leaving mine colourwise for a bit and sort of enjoying the glinty greys waving about. Using a purple shampoo and conditioner (not sure what its doing for me tbh)and squelching on some hair oil every now and again. I am a v basic witch and proud to be so. I like beauty more as a spectator sport than a participant. Saw some mates this week who hadn't seen me for a while and they ooed and ahhed at my greys like they were fireworks which made me laugh x v much enjoying this life period of giving zero fucks.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’m letting my grey come through. About 3 years ago I was having a lot of colour on my hair - highlights, balayage, root tint, the works. My hairdresser / colourist is very experienced and is a teacher and ambassador for L’Oreal - based in NW England. I have a very strong grey / white streak at the front which has been there since I was in my late 20’s. Hairstyle has changed over the years - I’ve had long, layered shaggy styles to sleek bobs. When I had my Bob I used to keep the streak out and colour the rest, so I’ve always embraced it when I’ve wanted to.
Anyway I was sick of the expense and time I was spending in the chair - although my colour was great - I wanted something more low maintenance so I decided to work with the grey as opposed to against it. So for the past few years I’ve been having a full head of highlights, different tones which work with the grey - there’s no regrowth line and my hair is in good condition plus with lockdowns I’ve not felt like I’ve needed my hair doing. Will attach a picture of my natural colour. I’ve not had any colour on since August last year.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The face mist column is hilarious! I‘m not a native Englisch speaker, but since when has „formulae“ been the plural of „formula“? Unless you’re writing for the Lancet?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
my natural colour is dark blonde and I have a few greys in there and while I really wouldn't mind being all grey I don't like how my natural colour looks sprinkled with grey. I have always wanted to have auburn hair but never dared because I could not afford the upkeep when I was a poor student. So one day I just went for it. I LOVE it but I have to redo the colour every 4-6 weeks because it washes out so quickly (red pigment just doesn't stick to hair) and the regrowth is quite visible. I usually redo it before an event and I can do it myself because it's all one colour. I could not imagine having to do this at the salon. It would bankrupt me. If I no longer want to be a redhead I will probably move to a shade that is closer to my natural shade but a bit darker.

Reactions: 7
You get the gist - it’s fine, but I’ve a lot of it and the texture has changed with the grey coming through. It looks very fluffy below, which I suppose it is.

2276F565-6294-4AB3-B477-A9163B91E986.jpeg

I should have brushed it really

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I have very similar hair type to Sali’s and feel she’d made a major mistake with the amount of processing. A few years ago I got hung up on going blonde from auburn and managed to get to a nice shade of cool blonde, but heck it was such a faff to keep on top of the dark roots. Kept it for 3 months and ditched it. My poor hair was not happy. It took a lot of elasticizer to get it back to good health. Thin hair is a total b*tch to lighten more than 2-3 shades without serious damage.

Sali’s hair looks over processed, uneven and dull to me, as well as totally washing her out. I am sure she wanted shiny locks rather than what she’s having to deal with with the added bonus that the colour she went for is the most difficult to reflect light and look healthy IMO. I found it quite a change to see myself as a blonde after being a brunette my whole life too. Was she not the one to declare that she’s a brunette by heart in the ITB episode with C Moran? Might be wrong but I’m pretty sure she’s declared it somewhere in the past. Anyway, what she’s ended up with is def not grey, rather uneven soft blonde.

I’m at the stage when I have a few random grey hairs at the front and in my eyebrows (I know!!). Having inherited my mum’s hair type, she covers her greys with dark brunette which I think looks ageing and harsh. I reckon I’d rather go a shade or two lighter, sort of light brown with some warmth in it which should blend quite nicely and still look natural and kind of embrace the greys.

Reactions: 15
Oh my god the wiggy comment about her natural hair. Savagery!
Eek, that is actually my comment! But her 'original' hair does look like a wig. It's too solid a colour and heavy (which is remarkable given how fine her hair is)

Like Sali (I've managed to spell her name correctly this time), I'm 30% grey and have used lockdown to embrace my grey. However, despite going to the hairdressers to speed things along, my colourist refused to dye my roots which is the exact opposite to what Sali has had done. And I agree with many that her hair is a light ashy blonde for the most part. The thing that is most apparent is that it just not a very good dye job. Luckily for Sali, she did not have to pay for it. I know if my colourist had done that to me, I'd have demanded my money back, had someone else to adjust the colour and started looking for a new colourist.

As I am new to this thread, I just want to say I have never been a fan of Sali, I have always found her disingenuous in the same way as Caroline Hirons. And having fallen for CH's schill, I saw through Sali pretty quickly. Also, and most pertinently, I just don't think Sali is a good writer or journalist, so mostly avoid her and her 'work' until yesterday on Mumsnet.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
I‘m moving my parting every few weeks and waiting for inspiration / trying to get used to it. I have my mum as a living warning to what happens when you dye your greying hair brown - the maintenance is insane.
Has the lighter colour worked for you? It’s something I’m considering for my next hairdresser appointment.
Its definitely softens the dark/ white contrast! I use one I get in Waitrose/Holland and Barrett Naturtint. Just looked on line and H and B do a smile permanent one too which could be intreresting to try.

You get the gist - it’s fine, but I’ve a lot of it and the texture has changed with the grey coming through. It looks very fluffy below, which I suppose it is.

View attachment 595161

I should have brushed it really
Looks gorgeous!!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.