Sali Hughes #33 Grifty shades of grey. It's a complex case.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Its definitely softens the dark/ white contrast! I use one I get in Waitrose/Holland and Barrett Naturtint. Just looked on line and H and B do a smile permanent one too which could be intreresting to try.
Oh I’ve been looking at this one - is it good?

Reactions: 2
Can I ask a question/get some advice? My hair is very like Sali's, dark and very fine. In lockdown 1 I got tot to fully see how grey I was going and started to put a lighter colour on, chestnutty to try and soften the colour. I was also contemplating doing what Sali has done, but am glad I didn't!!! What is everyone else doing to about this greying situation?
I try to keep my hair fairly low maintenance - cut every 6 weeks, all over chestnut brown colour every 3rd appointment for the shine it provides - but the grey coming through is now really obvious. So now my hairdresser is gradually lightening the base colour (this will take time) and has added some subtle highlights to take the edge off the grey regrowth. I love it as it is still close to my natural colour and feels comfortably 'me'. I consider it to be a process rather than a hurdle, but then I don't have to provide click-worthy content by doing 'brave' things.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m letting my grey come through. About 3 years ago I was having a lot of colour on my hair - highlights, balayage, root tint, the works. My hairdresser / colourist is very experienced and is a teacher and ambassador for L’Oreal - based in NW England. I have a very strong grey / white streak at the front which has been there since I was in my late 20’s. Hairstyle has changed over the years - I’ve had long, layered shaggy styles to sleek bobs. When I had my Bob I used to keep the streak out and colour the rest, so I’ve always embraced it when I’ve wanted to.
Anyway I was sick of the expense and time I was spending in the chair - although my colour was great - I wanted something more low maintenance so I decided to work with the grey as opposed to against it. So for the past few years I’ve been having a full head of highlights, different tones which work with the grey - there’s no regrowth line and my hair is in good condition plus with lockdowns I’ve not felt like I’ve needed my hair doing. Will attach a picture of my natural colour. I’ve not had any colour on since August last year.
Hello,
Ive done the same as Badabing. Naturally dark , was dying my hair at home for years . So sick of it . A white line would sprout right in front of my hairline about 10 days after a dye job. I assumed I was very white. I wasnt , it was a white streak either side of my hair line at the front that i now love.
I went blonde which meant an all over high lift ( I think) - a blonde colour was added plus pure bleach highlights. Ive realised since that it was the all over colour that was going ( a little ) brassy. It was beautifully done by a local hairdresser .
In lockdown that hairdresser gave me the formula for the toner she used so I could do it myself. She did not ask for a penny but when I saw her I insisted on paying for that information in an extra generous tip. It’s the poor that are generous isn’t it 😁
I grew it all out over lockdown . No fucks given . I could see tones of dark and light which I liked but there was a demarcation line where the all over colour had been , though the toner helped a lot.I am about 70 % grey now.
The hairdresser said it was the perfect opportunity to do hundreds of thin bleach highlights, which she did . So its a mix of my own colour and bleach highlights . She said I could grow it all out again and it would still look good or get at least 6 months out of it before needing highlights again

Sorry for the length of this but it might help someone . I hadn’t a clue when I decided to stop using the Nice n Easy brown but this is what I’ve learnt .

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I have received the Paula's Choice 2% BHA yesterday. I am impressed at the difference one use made already. My skin looks much fresher. I'll have to figure out how to fit it into my routine and how my skin likes it long-term (no irritation, no breakouts so far) but it's definitely a nice addition to get a little boost now and then.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
@Icicles, this is really helpful indeed. The difference is that Sali was no where near that grey to attempt blending greys in like you have done.

Sam Chapman (🤮) has a new IG about going blonde and at least she’s done the wise thing of doing it slowly to minimise the damage. If Sali had a little more patience and went lighter over several months, she’d avoided wrecking her hair quite so much. Reckon that because she was so wanting to do it in one go, the hairdresser was too scared to lift the colour to white blonde and then apply toner which would have given her a much better result.

For me, there is a reason why we are born with the hair colour we are and only a few people could pull off well a complete colour change. Apart from the hair condition, when I went blonde and looking back at photos from back then, it did wash me out. Same with Sali’s colour. A natural or well done grey colour looks amazing against lots of skin tones at it tends to work as neutral against skin.

Reactions: 9
I have received the Paula's Choice 2% BHA yesterday. I am impressed at the difference one use made already. My skin looks much fresher. I'll have to figure out how to fit it into my routine and how my skin likes it long-term (no irritation, no breakouts so far) but it's definitely a nice addition to get a little boost now and then.
It’s a really good one - I use it maybe twice a week max in the evening and I wake up with the face of a 25 year old :)

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Eek, that is actually my comment! But her 'original' hair does look like a wig. It's too solid a colour and heavy (which is remarkable given how fine her hair is)

Like Sali (I've managed to spell her name correctly this time), I'm 30% grey and have used lockdown to embrace my grey. However, despite going to the hairdressers to speed things along, my colourist refused to dye my roots which is the exact opposite to what Sali has had done. And I agree with many that her hair is a light ashy blonde for the most part. The thing that is most apparent is that it just not a very good dye job. Luckily for Sali, she did not have to pay for it. I know if my colourist had done that to me, I'd have demanded my money back, had someone else to adjust the colour and started looking for a new colourist.

As I am new to this thread, I just want to say I have never been a fan of Sali, I have always found her disingenuous in the same way as Caroline Hirons. And having fallen for CH's schill, I saw through Sali pretty quickly. Also, and most pertinently, I just don't think Sali is a good writer or journalist, so mostly avoid her and her 'work' until yesterday on Mumsnet.
I don't think her original hair looked at all like a wig. Undyed mid-brown colour with lots of silvery bits underneath. Looked great! Her new hair though, now that does look wiggy, flat and frazzled with no light bouncing off it. But what can she do? I suppose her allergy means she's stuck with it even if she is having buyer's remorse. Or freebie remorse, or whatever it's called when you haven't paid for it!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I know, have heard about it loads. That doesn't make it any less gross though!

It turns my stomach.

Reactions: 5
I’m actually wondering if San9ro on mumsnet was somebody stirring up trouble, rather than someone defending Sali?
Their posts only really make sense as insider in-joke sarcasm

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I don't think her original hair looked at all like a wig. Undyed mid-brown colour with lots of silvery bits underneath. Looked great! Her new hair though, now that does look wiggy, flat and frazzled with no light bouncing off it. But what can she do? I suppose her allergy means she's stuck with it even if she is having buyer's remorse. Or freebie remorse, or whatever it's called when you haven't paid for it!
Karma 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I'd like to connect somehow out of this group. I am on IG. As I don't know many women who have been diagnosed late like myself. If you feel comfortable with that please let me know and I can give you my IG tag or I am fairly easy to find tbh.
I've sent you a PM via Facebook Messenger. It probably will appear in your Other folder so may not be immediately obvious. My profile pic might strike a chord with you!

Reactions: 1
Eek, that is actually my comment! But her 'original' hair does look like a wig. It's too solid a colour and heavy (which is remarkable given how fine her hair is)

Like Sali (I've managed to spell her name correctly this time), I'm 30% grey and have used lockdown to embrace my grey. However, despite going to the hairdressers to speed things along, my colourist refused to dye my roots which is the exact opposite to what Sali has had done. And I agree with many that her hair is a light ashy blonde for the most part. The thing that is most apparent is that it just not a very good dye job. Luckily for Sali, she did not have to pay for it. I know if my colourist had done that to me, I'd have demanded my money back, had someone else to adjust the colour and started looking for a new colourist.

As I am new to this thread, I just want to say I have never been a fan of Sali, I have always found her disingenuous in the same way as Caroline Hirons. And having fallen for CH's schill, I saw through Sali pretty quickly. Also, and most pertinently, I just don't think Sali is a good writer or journalist, so mostly avoid her and her 'work' until yesterday on Mumsnet.
First of all welcome. Secondly as someone whose hair has been steadily falling out for about 4 years and who is now seeing her wiggy future, I found it hilarious. And it seems that hair, even when we have it, brings so much drama into our lives.

It’s a really good one - I use it maybe twice a week max in the evening and I wake up with the face of a 25 year old :)
What does it do for you?

Reactions: 3
I'm mainly grey at the front, a little bit, and otherwise a brunette. For the moment I'm keeping it as it is. I played around with putting light highlights in so the grey would show us much when it grows back but decided against it. Expect I will get highlights in the end. Aveda Shampoo and Conditioner are good for fine hair (mine is too).

Reactions: 3
First of all welcome. Secondly as someone whose hair has been steadily falling out for about 4 years and who is now seeing her wiggy future, I found it hilarious. And it seems that hair, even when we have it, brings so much drama into our lives.

What does it do for you?
I know you didn't ask for advice but in case this is of interest to you: Dr Natalia Spierings (the one who was fighting with Hirons), has just done a YouTube video about Minoxidil for women. She explains that it works for some not others and that taking aspirin blocks it.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.