Sali Hughes #32 Here's one moisturiser, now piss off.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did you watch her stories yesterday? Very interesting about the real world of beauty journalism

She's been like that for years and in public she always comes across as a fan girl of Sali. I always wonder though what she really thinks, she's an intelligent woman and has to see through all of this but I think she's seen enough to know pick a side and sink or swim.....
I just looked at her twitter. She's got a philosophy PhD and she writes like that? :oops:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Did you watch her stories yesterday? Very interesting about the real world of beauty journalism

She's been like that for years and in public she always comes across as a fan girl of Sali. I always wonder though what she really thinks, she's an intelligent woman and has to see through all of this but I think she's seen enough to know pick a side and sink or swim.....
I haven't, any good?

I just came across this on her Twitter and that last line is pure Sali Hughes 🤣

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Isn't it just. It's so obvious that she is a Sali stan

Edit: she is a stan, I found this absolute gem. Hilarious!

Oh thank you for this - hilarious. What utter brown nosing tripe 😂😂😂
"'She is very humble - 'I wonder if anyone else is as nerdy as me about beauty'"
'Hughes has a reputation as a renegade in beauty circles' :sick:
Priceless.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I haven't, any good?

I just came across this on her Twitter and that last line is pure Sali Hughes 🤣
I think they've expired now but she basically tore Sali's ilk ( without naming her) apart. She had been working on the Style magazine with Sarah Jossel but don't know if that's still the case

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Somehow I managed to unwatch this thread and missed a good week of chat. But am all caught up now. This Millennial loves you all and thinks the constant generational comparisons around now are bs :LOL:

I wonder if this Laura Kennedy has had a change of heart on Sali? Or does she perhaps think Hughes is the exception?

I think the article she criticises about anti-capitalism is from Jessica Defino (very much defino's content niche right now). I'd read Kennedy's writing (because I too have some issues with Defino's approach) but no way am I going to join her patreon.

Last edited:
From that Laura piece about Sali

"While talking, Hughes exudes a quiet, resolute confidence which instantly explains her success. I’m curious about where it originated. Many women claw their way up the precipice of confidence from a position of being consistently ignored or sidelined in their youth. Not so for Hughes. She can’t remember ever being any other way. When I ask if there was a time in her younger years when she didn’t feel entitled to a seat at the table, she responds instantly: “I honestly never did feel that, but I don’t think that feeling came from nowhere.” Her father was involved in Labour politics throughout her youth, and her mother never imposed any traditionally female insecurities upon her at a young age. “There was just a sort of air of acceptance that we could probably do whatever we wanted. They never showered us with compliments, but nor did they criticise us. It never occurred to them to say ‘you’re not capable’.”

Could do whatever we wanted? Like run away to London and with no one seemingly caring? Is this a good thing? Not in my book

Reactions: 9
Laura Kennedy's a funny one. She has a patreon where she writes about 'life, philosophy, psychology and several other things including but not limited to Stoicism, gender, class, race, love, death, the grinding pace of the everyday, and particularly demanding pet cats'. I've always felt she comes across as quite a serious person so I find it a bit strange that she's emulating SH's overly flowery writing style. Although I suppose SH's flowery writing style is a bit of a clash with SH's own personality too. Maybe there's a secret rule of beauty writing rule where you need to sound like you've just stepped out of the 1950s.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I do think the parental failings she experienced probably explain a lot about who she is now. How unloved would you feel if you ran away to London at age 15 and your parents just shrugged and said 'okay then'. I can understand why it's easier for her to frame this as 'my parents never tried to hold me back' rather than 'it seems my parents didn't give too much of a tit'.

Reactions: 16
Isn't it just. It's so obvious that she is a Sali stan

Edit: she is a stan, I found this absolute gem. Hilarious!

Has she ever been here 😂

ETA: apparently she has! Enough to drag up a potato stereotype!

“Dublin is the only place I’ve ever been where you can go even to a Michelin star restaurant and they bring you mash. It’s not even really considered a side order. It’s like water for the table. I really love that.”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Well she went to one restaurant so is clearly an expert! The restaurant was Marco Pierre White as far as I remember from Twitter and that doesn't even have a Michelin star!

And yes such stereotypical nonsense. Unless it's part of the dish or a carvery most places will charge extra for mash as a side.

Reactions: 4
The thing I noticed about that article was the introduction: 'She’s a famously honest and rigorous beauty writer...'. I know that SH has always presented herself as particularly honest but was there ever any evidence that she was more 'honest and rigorous' than others?

I'd say that Angie (Hotandflashy) seems more 'honest' than others in that she'll talk about the shortcomings of certain products - including some from major brands - as well as enthuse over others. And 'rigorous' in that she'll review the research as to the efficacy of ingredients/devices and test cosmetics to see how they perform over time and in different situations.

Even in the days when there seemed to be more substance to SH's Guardian column than there is now, there was nothing about her output that struck me as particularly 'honest and rigorous'. If could be that, behind the scenes, she was fending off all manner of inducement to include certain products but that wouldn't have been apparent to me as a reader.

There was nothing about the quality of her product recommendations that suggested particular honesty and rigour. I think that, like a lot people, I found her product recommendations a bit hit or miss - some good, some ok, some a complete waste of money. A bit like the product recommendations I'd pick up from any beauty journalism.

In the various interviews about her 'trolls' she talks about having 'somehow' got the reputation as being the 'incorruptible one'. Was there ever anything to it other than what she said about herself?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I wonder how Sali and Laura got on. It must have been very challenging for the palest person ever to meet someone even more melanin-deprived.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Also I have a question about mash being brought to the table like water. Typically water is brought over while looking at the menu as we all know. Does that mean that mash potato was plonked down on the table before they'd even ordered?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.