Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Missypissy

Sali's checklist for today's column

Be relatable... mention my halo slipped and I bought a few things from zara. I try to be perfect but yknow...
Set some tension...there is no fuckin way this Zara shit is going to stop me in my ecological mission to save the world.
Regurgitate press release blah blah
Feign surprise...this shit is good. It meets my incredibly high standards
Say refillable and inclusive skin tone obvs. Put halo back on straight.
Find something to quibble about so I can say I'm honest. Eg brushes are bit shit.
Cash cheque.
Order chilli pickle.
Don't forget to say I PAID.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42

particularparsnip

lurker here!
God as someone trying to be a freelance writer/break in to journalism and writing for more established publications the absolute drivel that SH and others of her ilk put out absolutely astounds me!
People at my level can't event get a reply to an email pitch on a well- researched and relevant piece but they have a weekly advert column?
Sorry if I sound bitter, I am lol

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 40

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
"I own just four garments from fast fashion behemoth Zara and felt guilty buying even those."
I hope pope Francis starts the beatification process asap. And that the H&M jeans she bought won't get in the way.

My wardrobe is almost entirely made up of Zara and Mango. Because it's all I can afford. Strange how things are that simple. And what's even stranger, hope you have smelling salts near you, some of clothes are 10 years old and I still wear them. They haven't turned to dust after 3 months! o_O
Or should I wrap myself in blankets and sheets and first save for La Perla knickers, then a blouse, stop paying my bills and eventually get a pair of Hermes flip flops. I'll still be using the blanket as a skirt, who knows when I'll be able to afford pants.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
OMG you guys. I called it regarding the french manicure!

And my parody post:

"The French manicure: On Point. By Sali Hughes

Beauty editors have long since been dismissive of the French manicure, a nail trend that was everywhere from the 80s to the early 00s. Since then it has been eclipsed by rainbow coloured diamond hard gels, decals and anything else in between. A French manicure has been deemed impossibly passè. Until now.

Over a year into the pandemic, we're all a little bit fragile, scared, and frankly, more than a little broken. Endless zoom calls and a lack of social outings in our diaries with our girls. We're all craving comfort and a decal seems impossibly fussy. Shellac is out of the question, the absence of which stings like the acetone required to remove it.

So we're going back to basics with a healthy baby pink and brilliant white tip. To be snobby about a French manicure is to miss a trick. As we emerge out of lockdown like a butterfly from a chrysalis, a French manicure gives the impression we've been healthful throughout lockdown and have not lagged behind on our calcium and vitamin d consumption, even if we were sodden in vodka.

A French manicure goes just as well with a khaki green jumpsuit as it does with a toffee caramel sweatshirt. The greatest 'tip' I can give you is the French manicure will be having a moment. You heard it here first"

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
There's this perverse culture of anything goes vis-a-vis feminism now that encourages this. Want to look like a blow-up sex doll? That's "empowering". Want to fill your face to the point you are barely recognisable? Also empowering. Basically whatever you decide to do, even if it's the result of deep insecurity and utter submission to unachievable patriarchal standards of beauty, it's somehow feminism. Younger women have bought this capitalist bullshit hook, line, and sinker. I don't understand it at all

It's like there's zero self-reflection or interrogation of motive. Have whim, act on it = feminism. It's so intellectually lazy and self-indulgent. I feel like it all went to shit around the time the Kardashians - and their accompanying vapid, grapsing, materialistic lifestyles - went from laughing stocks to aspirational role models, paving the way for the likes of Emily Ratajkowski and all the IG mega-influencers. It's depressing
I feel like it's gone through several discrete stages:

First, elective PS was for the elites, the film stars, the rich and idle, basically. Nobody normal felt pressure to have it unless they had dysmorphia or a real disfiguremen via birth or accident. Mostly it was seen as inadvisable and something for the idle rich and the old. That's key.

Then it became affordable - at least through the selling of debt - to the masses a bit more and people got it younger, but pretended they didn't, because it was still seen as a bit pathetic to care that much as well as an admission you 'needed' it. The idea was to pretend you were 'naturally' suddenly tighter, fresher, lifted, whatever. Women would deny they got breast implants when they were bloody obvious. Actresses who were clearly pulled tighter than a drum, had a obviously frozen face, or suddenly had a hairline an inch higher denied they did anything and put it down to some fancy creams or yoga or whatever.

Now? It's become a consumer-age status symbol to buy new lips, tits, whatever, to the youngest demographic who 'need' it least. The users brag about it, because they think being able to pay cash for this stuff makes them enviable, as it translates into being more sexually competitive, which is tied in their minds into success. Consumerism is power, therefore buying your looks is power, with this veneer of the faux 'feminist' empowerment' of doing whatever, whenever and pretending it's a power move. The sad reality is customers and rather deep dependencies have been created for life. End goal of the industry, I guess. Get them young, as young as possible, rather than hoping customers seek you out halfway through their life or later.

I agree the Kardashians started this final stage, although Kim tried to pretend she didn't have procedures to obtain her allegedly 'enviable' and wholly disproportional backside. Kylie at one point tried to deny having lip filler when she was pimping that stupid lip kit on the basis using it would give you much fuller lips. The Kardashian's procedures were so obvious, the changes so extreme, and the money they made through simply wandering around and being photographed like that so insane, that they have effectively sold the idea that PS and beauty (by which we mean sexual desirability) and financial success (translate: happiness) are inextricably tied together to the youngest, most insecure and gullible demographic.

• Heart
Reactions: 37

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Thanks to @zcfthc5 for the thread title suggestion. Won by a huge majority. Your prize is a bag of baby potatoes to get in you at your leisure :sick:

Recap.
* As mentioned Sali eats potatoes in every form. I think it might be her *thing*
* She has seen Lisa Eldridge's makeup series and was asked to write about it but was far too busy 🤭
* She has fearlessly championed the return of the Body Shop avocado body butter. The product no one everyone was crying out for.
* Hersheson's are still cruelly ignoring her pleas for a free haircut. Who will care for the caregivers? :cry:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
She was terrified, in Paris, in case she was pushed in front of a metro by the mysterious trolls. Apropos of nothing. Not even any Francophone beef-faces as far as I know.
The main thing to remember is that the trolls were responsible for Sali being scared in Paris and having to take the Loaf along to protect her. You know how internet trolls are.
Yes that is quite right. A handful of people here expressed concern at her being loose with the truth regarding her obvious Botox use, her shilling and also how fucking shit her Guardian columns were. Sali, on some media outlets, translated this as being malevolent unhinged Tattle Life stalkers (teachers amongst them - I presume out of term time) following her to Paris to push her under trains. So much so the trusty Tory had to accompany her to prevent this (quite how nobody knows. A cutting pun possibly).
It is beyond bonkers and these wild claims went absolutely unchallenged by anyone she regurgitated them to.
Any fule no we are cave dwellers scared of the light. Certainly French light.
Well. That is massively paranoid and quite silly of her.

The funny part is I am one of those people who had zero idea this place existed until that BBC article making a huge deal out of this alleged terrifying bullying via internet. I couldn't figure out what the hell she meant by 'dragging sites' and had to google .. and here I am, having discovered a 'dragging site' is just a fairly harmless old-school bb board devoted to celeb gossip. She made it sound like some seriously demented dark web outfit devoted to nefarious stalking activity, rather than community, commentary and criticism on various slebs and influencers. I started to doubt her version of events regarding said bullying when I realised how badly she'd misrepresented this place and the posts about her to paint herself as a tragic victim. Own goal there, Sali, I'm afraid, because now I know a lot more unflattering truths about her than I ever did before.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

The Dowager

Chatty Member
I’m glad others have mentioned that they don’t consider Zara to be cheap, I read the opening line of her article and felt very

It’s a volume retailer, sure, but I wouldn’t say it’s low cost.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

melfish

VIP Member
There's this perverse culture of anything goes vis-a-vis feminism now that encourages this. Want to look like a blow-up sex doll? That's "empowering". Want to fill your face to the point you are barely recognisable? Also empowering. Basically whatever you decide to do, even if it's the result of deep insecurity and utter submission to unachievable patriarchal standards of beauty, it's somehow feminism. Younger women have bought this capitalist bullshit hook, line, and sinker. I don't understand it at all

It's like there's zero self-reflection or interrogation of motive. Have whim, act on it = feminism. It's so intellectually lazy and self-indulgent. I feel like it all went to shit around the time the Kardashians - and their accompanying vapid, grapsing, materialistic lifestyles - went from laughing stocks to aspirational role models, paving the way for the likes of Emily Ratajkowski and all the IG mega-influencers. It's depressing

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Also, yet another example of yet another influencer wanging on about ‘curated’ this and ‘curated’ that. It’s eyeshadow, not the Rosetta Stone.

• Haha
  • Heart

Valiofthedolls

VIP Member
I’ve been lurking here for ages- and I have finally been tipped over the edge by yet another asinine Guardian column AND the free (600 quid-but that’s another thing) facial. It may be just me, but ALL I see every time she posts a pic with those enormous glasses and ridiculous brows is Larry David’s dad from Curb Your Enthusiasm

You’re all great by the way. My Korean mitted body and glycolic scalp thank you

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart

TheSilverFox

VIP Member
It's really tickled me today. She takes herself so seriously 🤭 How on earth can she justify the #gifted haircuts right now?! I like the colour she's gone for but if it was me, I'd have had more off the length I think. Do you think she is happy with it? The caption on the reel was so defensive🧐

Sali Hughes #33 In a global pandemic where you can be anything, be kind(ly gifted haircuts).

• Haha
  • Heart