Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

NotDumbNotBlonde

VIP Member
She looks frankly silly and self conscious in that Hush vid.

I've just watched Lisa Eldridge doing a Q&A on YouTube and she said the reason she's never done sponsored content is that she felt she just wouldn't sound like herself if she was shilling (not her word but mine, Sali I'm looking at you 👀).

• Haha
Reactions: 19

melfish

VIP Member
I cannot get over it. This is the unique, never-before-seen idea? A guide to ... life. For women. Who can't boil poached eggs on their own. If only there was this thing you could type questions into that then gave you pages and pages of answers ...

• Haha
Reactions: 19

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I could never get my head round that (and felt mean criticising it) but it made me uncomfortable seeing all the 'pamper packages' with stuff like Charlotte Tilbury, Clarins for NHS staff, while refuges etc got LIDL and Dove.
In the bag reveal when describing the charity aims Sali did not mention the NHS. It was only for people in hygiene poverty.
Would they say that all the money raised goes to hygiene poverty, while prestige donations go where they see fit? I presume Beauty Banks didn't pay for the 'pamper parcels'?
I've worked for a few charities (no doubt in those files - 'charity workers amongst them') and they are all so clear in their aims and objectives, no matter how tempting to change horses mid stream to follow 'fashionable' causes. Plus somewhere it really should have been explained their reasoning for this.
Exactly. When you’ve taken money and donations from the public and organisations for a specific, documented cause, and then give said donations away to a different cause, to me this is problematic.

I would imagine that the governance surrounding charities is particularly strict with respect to this, for good reason. Granted, in this instance the cause may have still been viewed by many as a good one and not a million miles away from the charity’s original stated objective, but it’s the thin end of the wedge. I’m not comfortable with individuals being able to play fast and loose with charity donations as they see fit, whatever the cause. Call me up tight, or a stickler, perhaps it’s my background in finance, but it’s not right.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Houseplantkiller

The beach thing is hilarious. I live here and I love it. It's great in summer, I swim a few mornings a week before work and hang out with friends and kids for hours here on a weekend. Yes pebbles aren't exactly like lying on a memory foam mattress but you get used to it (my fat rump cushions it anyway) and the house and car doesn't get full of sand. And dog paws are absolutely fine on the pebbles ;). BUT. I Can't imagine getting my knickers in a twist because of someone saying it looks shit. It's winter, a grey day, and it's a shit photo - of course it looks shit ! And lets face it, the south east coast line is hardly the med, is it.

Intersting also to see how when it's a paid ad she replies to all of the complimentary comments. She's like a different person! no snippiness or superiority in sight.

Last edited:
  • Haha

GTL Old-Timer

VIP Member
And the charity also offers her a shield against any criticism too. It's so calculated

It doesn't have a mansplaining tone to me at all 🤷‍♀️

Just reads like someone a bit excited to talk about their cuisine
Quite. He sounded like an Asian man just being friendly and offering helpful tips. Sali, as ever, has seen, done and eaten it all so of course she has no time for him.

Gosh, she’s unpleasant

• Heart

cholulamare

Chatty Member
I will not support Sali’s charity either. I can’t get past how the charity, which is meant to be all about hygiene poverty, gave it’s brand donations to NHS workers. Whilst I completely agree that key workers are deserving of support and praise, they are by no means in hygiene poverty. For me this calls into question the charity’s governance, when on the personal whim of it’s founders / executives, the main objective can be overridden.

No thanks.
Exactly. When you’ve taken money and donations from the public and organisations for a specific, documented cause, and then give said donations away to a different cause, to me this is problematic.
I completely agree with this (especially BIB), and what most other posters have said. And just to add from a communications standpoint, it really dilutes the charity's brand, as it's not clear to someone with a casual interest what the charity's actual purpose is. Their comms are rubbish anyway, I would expect so much better from a co-founder with a PR background.

I would donate to a hygiene poverty charity with a much clearer, defined purpose (that's actually being adhered to) any day over one that's going so far as to advertise the fact that it's not fulfilling its mission. Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone on this thread who was previously a fan/follower of Sali and would have considered buying a shitty makeup bag, instead donated a fiver to a an amazing small charity like Every Month, Bloody Good Period (both brilliant & don't get anywhere near as much press) or their local food bank, shelter or refuge? Some links below for anyone that wants to do that.

• Heart

GTL Old-Timer

VIP Member
After having a bath with the famous bath salts I recommend drinking a cup of Valerian tea (made with two tea bags) for a brilliant nights sleep! 😴
Oh man, what I would give for a decent night’s sleep! Don’t get me wrong, I ADORE my family, but I am so looking forward to lockdown being lifted for real. Then I can focus on work whilst my children are at day care. I can come home and focus on them before putting them to sleep and my wife and I can get a good night’s sleep in a clean and tidy house without worrying that we are behind on deadlines or having to bring work home.

*cries*

• Heart

Curio

Chatty Member
She responded because her ego is fragile. I'm not sure why you'd take that so personally otherwise. Someone's opinion of a beach you happen to live near should not threaten your sense of self 🤷‍♀️

Particularly when all day every day people are telling you how great you are
That’s actually a really good point, as a normal person who doesn’t have a large online following, let alone for my job, I probably get a compliment every few weeks like ‘nice earrings’ or something. Imagine getting thousands, just for making beans on toast, or walking the dog. Then zeroing in on a perceived insult, even if it’s about a place vs yourself. I don’t think I could do it and keep my sanity.

Blahblahbuzzy

Omg that last one 😣
Is it that she suspects even innocent questions are from sinister Tattlers - looking to trick her into admitting something?
Could she not just say 'No! But thanks so much'?
The grumpy 'nope' is particularly dismissive.
I just don't get it. She acts like she hates her followers/fans the way she speaks to them on IG and Twitter 🤷‍♀️

• Sad
  • Angry

Disillusioned

VIP Member
She had that quirky, indie sort of look back then. Now she has undifferentiated influencer face
[/Q
It wasn’t so much her looks as her relatability, as Jelly says. And the community she created. I’d never been on a forum before. Her Guardian columns were genuinely different to any beauty writing I’d seen before, they felt like someone sharing their tips and insight rather than regurgitating press releases.

Plus, and this is a huge caveat, I was not on twitter. I can't ever believe I would have admired her seeing her twitter presence back then.
Very much this. Total disconnect. Although I worry that I would have excused her twitter bullying... I genuinely don’t know. I was less aware then.

melfish

VIP Member
The hair comment really bugged me. "Nope" fuck right off Sali, if you can't be nice just be quiet. She's depending on these "fans" to keep her in business and yet she lacks any ounce of respect or even self awareness to treat them with anything other than utterly disdain. God I can't stand her.
100% this 🙏
She's hateful. The way she and her lackies take the piss out of her followers right in front of them says it all

• Heart

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
Imagine what mischief one could do with a photo of SH’s candlewick bedspread.

(NB it’s none - no mischief could be done)

• Haha

Mselvista

VIP Member
Also that tweet doesn't seem that bad?
Accusing someone of keeping going 1 month after they replied to your tweet - who's keeping it going?

• Haha
  • Sad

TriviaNewtonJohn

VIP Member
There's loads of other comments telling her how amazing she looks and how Brighton is great.

Also saw this comment. If someone doesn't like my hometown or that such and such place looks shit it really is no skin off my nose!
What does this even mean?! Would you say it to the beach's face? I'm sure it wouldn't give a shit. Sali doesn't own the beach so it has nothing to do with her face.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Curio

Chatty Member
It’s these sorts of replies that first made me wonder. But then I’d tell myself, why does she have to ‘be nice’ when she’s a woman - as I know I’d reply to messages like that saying something like ‘ooh yes, I agree, thanks’ but I’m a people pleaser and it’s probably not my best trait! I think women should do less of that. BUT - then doesn’t it work both ways, if you’re not going to try to make people like you, can you be so thin skinned when they make it clear they don’t?

If you don’t suffer fools gladly, then a thick skin might also be needed against those that think you’re a fool. Hence again, I could not be an influencer!

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
I see she is showing off her Anina Vogel jewellery - vastly overpriced and she was fined for using the claws of endangered species (her thing is repurposed Victorian jewellery). She claimed she didn’t know the claws were illegal but had taken them off public view when someone reported her to the police. Nice brand for a vegetarian to go for!

• Wow
  • Angry
But I thought you didn’t use eye cream Sali?

Also - I get that it must be annoying to be asked all these stupid questions but that is the approachable friendly persona SHE created. She was always below the line on the guardian and she started her own fb group and forum ffs!
Also, she keeps going on about all this time she has on her hands, why not use some of it answering the polite questions she’s being asked?

But I thought you didn’t use eye cream Sali?

Also - I get that it must be annoying to be asked all these stupid questions but that is the approachable friendly persona SHE created. She was always below the line on the guardian and she started her own fb group and forum ffs!
Also, she keeps going on about all this time she has on her hands, why not use some of it answering the polite questions she’s being asked?

Last edited:
  • Sad

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Re berated twitter man - my barometer would be would she be so rude to a blue ticker (not including Owen Jones)? Well we all know she wouldn't. Make of that what you will. She may well be irritated non celeb people contribute to her twitter convos but they are public convos. And he was incredibly polite.
And I for one have found his fenugreek for thickening sauces tip very helpful.
But hey much better to trust someone whose experience seems to be working at a hotel in Dubai 🥴

• Haha
  • Heart