Sali Hughes #28 See thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I live in docs. Apart from solivair everything else looks like a try hard knock off.
I also love leopard print and Red lipstick, however, leopard should, for me, be in the form of boxy jumpers, scarves and dresses. I don't like it as a bottom half pattern normally, I wanna see it up top with my fake gold earrings and lippy. Genuinely that is what I wear.
Sounds Absolutely Fabulous darling 😘
I recently invested in my first pair of DM's (white) and they are so comfortable. And They match with everything in my wardrobe too. Love them

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Me too! I plaster it on (along with a deep conditioner on the ends), watch TV for a while and then wash my hair, can't believe the difference it has made

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Me too! I plaster it on (along with a deep conditioner on the ends), watch TV for a while and then wash my hair, can't believe the difference it has made
That's an even better idea! A conditioning mask on the ends while I've got the glycolic acid toner on the roots.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Sorry if it has been discussed but how does the glycolic acid help hair? My daughter is struggling with postpartum rubbish hair (brittle and breaking) - would it help with that?

Sorry if it has been discussed but how does the glycolic acid help hair? My daughter is struggling with postpartum rubbish hair (brittle and breaking) - would it help with that?
It exfoliates the scalp so there's less or no buildup, the helps relieve dandruff and itchy flakiness, etc. You can go longer without washing the hair because it helps reduce sebum too.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I don't really think it could be argued that donating luxury products to NHS workers is comparable to helping out those in hygiene poverty. Again, the NHS do trojan work and there's no question about that but they're gainfully employed.

I honestly feel it was Sali just attaching herself to the cause du jour. And as I said earlier, other essential workers have been ignored (not just by Sali, but in general). Where was the clap for supermarket workers and so on? Not that a clap solves anything but you know what I mean. They didn't get the recognition
The bb website states they distribute via other programmes such as Trussel Trust and other food banks. So it's not exclusive to the NHS?

The bb website states they distribute via other programmes such as Trussel Trust and other food banks. So it's not exclusive to the NHS?
Right but what have the NHS workers got to do with poverty? They gave luxury pamper packages to NHS workers.

Reactions: 5
Love it! I bet you a year's worth of beige Hush lounge wear that the recipes from Sali's Life Lessons book will not be written as well or as joyfully as this.
Agree! Reminded me of Nigel Slater @skronkywildcat 🥰

On the glycolic acid scalp tip - I've been meaning to try but still not got round to it, but I think it would be useful as I do get build-up and would like to go longer between washes. Does it have to be a particular strength? I've got a bottle of the Aldi dupe of Pixi glow tonic that I will never use, do we think that might work?

• Heart
Right but what have the NHS workers got to do with poverty? They gave luxury pamper packages to NHS workers.
Agreed - I can understand Trussell Trust and other food banks - that fits in with the charity brand. But the NHS simply does not. Most people agree a lot of NHS staff are overworked and do an amazing job - but it still does not explain why an anti poverty charity would give them luxury skincare. There is no link.
I'm afraid a sentimentality around the NHS last year clouded their judgement and their core charity principles and objectives. Of course it was nice for tired, extremely stressed workers to get treats - but that surely was not the point of Beauty Banks?

Reactions: 15
Exactly, it makes sense that a charity who support those in poverty redistribute food packages to charities who serve that purpose.

A luxury hand cream or pamper package is a nice to have and a lovely treat I'm sure but does it really solve anything? Whereas someone in poverty is in dire need of help and there's no easy way out

Reactions: 6
I'm totally fine with giving overworked NHS staff a treat in these specific times. And yes it's not ok to assume that all NHS staff live in poverty.

Anyways - again I'm going to blow my "philanthropy covers up dirty capitalism" bugle. This sort of work needs to go hand in hand with campaigning for social justice and equality to highlight why duck so many people are in need of foodbanks.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
But why NHS staff and not other frontline workers, @Mazerati ? That's why a charity needs to have clear aims.

I was reluctant to post this yesterday as I had a feeling someone would take what I was saying up the wrong way. I'm not saying they don't deserve a treat but that's not the point of the charity

Reactions: 12
I think that at the start of the pandemic when there was a shortage of hand sanitiser and some brands switched to producing it Beauty Banks switched their focus ( or added an additional focus) to supplying sanitiser to NHS trusts as they had the contacts within the industry already. Then this widened to hand care due to damage from sanitiser use. Then brands started donating stuff as a "treat" for NHS and other key workers. I suppose brands wanted the association with the "heroes" of the pandemic. Beauty Banks doesn't have it's own distribution network apart from a skeleton of volunteers but they appear to have utilised the services of a limo hire place which gave it's services for free. If the product was donated by brands and was transported to Trusts by the limo business then presumably BB continued with it's usual remit which donations support. This is what I assume.

Last edited:
But why NHS staff and not other frontline workers, @Mazerati ? That's why a charity needs to have clear aims.

I was reluctant to post this yesterday as I had a feeling someone would take what I was saying up the wrong way. I'm not saying they don't deserve a treat but that's not the point of the charity
Sure entimentality around the nhs but also I assume because it's far simpler to donate to one large specific organisation that catches the public's attention. It's harder to quantify frontline workers. The NHS is one behemoth. Whereas supermarket staff, delivery drivers, pharmacists etc. don't come under one umbrella.

Reactions: 2
Anyways - again I'm going to blow my "philanthropy covers up dirty capitalism" bugle. This sort of work needs to go hand in hand with campaigning for social justice and equality to highlight why duck so many people are in need of foodbanks.
Absolutely. Not to be all "never kissed a tory" about it, but how you can reconcile starting a hygiene poverty charity and marrying a sometime tory voter is beyond me.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.