Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cholulamare

Chatty Member
It was Polly Vernon who was mad about the Acne Pistols, old Sali loves the Jensen boots. God, why do I absorb and retain this shit.

Polly Vernon should have a thread of her own. Ego ego egomaniac. That article she wrote on getting skinny years ago and how we were all jealous of her. Wow.

Someone else must have been on about the Pistols as well as Polly; I remember feeling ~influenced~ and buying some knock-offs, and it definitely wouldn't have been by her. I thought maybe Sali too, but could be wrong.

I'm only vaguely aware of PV but I know she's a horror - did she used to be the Telegraph fashion columnist for quite a while or was that someone else? I recently read Bryony Gordon's first book, and I wondered whether "Chloe" might have been Polly (she changed all the names). Don't know whether this will mean anything to anyone.

Reactions: 1

Mazerati

Chatty Member
I thought she said she had been using the Sanctuary shower goo for a decade..
True. She did say that.

Altruist is fine, can be stingy around the eyes. Its nothing on the nice korean ones for the face, but full props to being incred value per ml. It can take some time to absorb, not one for a rush doing makeup in the morning
I have a really hard time finding decent formulations that don't also sting my eyes. And by god do my eyes need it. I'm currently using the purito one that everyone is raving about but people are questioning it's uva efficacy.

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
Yasss

International trolls ✌
Where are you? (If you don't mind saying?)

And another question, sorry. Sali wrote that Superdrug skin care struck her as „better than it can get away with“. As a continental beef face - Rindfleischgesicht would be an appropriate name 😂 - I’m not familiar with the expression. I know what „getting away with something“ means, but it doesn’t make sense to me in this context.
I think she means they are punching above their weight, if you know that phrase? Like they are a cheap pharmacy type shop who create higher end type products. That's my interpretation of knowing Superdrug and their products.

Just came to say re the Guardian this week.
Utter trype.

No 7 has been around for near on 10 years and she says it was unfamiliar? Seriously?!?!?! Hardly niche brand.

Secondly Eyeko is not tubing. Lovely mascara but smudges and doesnt come off with water properly.
Boots No 7 has been around since 1935! Definitely more than ten years.

Mselvista

VIP Member
With the shoes. Why does it have to be something specific to her? She’s just following fashion. It’s what we all do to greater and lesser extents, whether we try to or not. Holly W wore those big grenson boots a couple of years ago on I’m a celeb. Birks, recast, and boots are all over sm and other influencers. I’m sure they’re also out there in real life. Sali you’ve been influences either in the new sm way or in the natural way by people wearing flats like we all have been for ever. Never mind, she got over £1k for spewing words on a non subject. And now she can claim the trend is down to her.
Exactly. Not sure why she's saying it started with Grenson hiking boots a year ago - she put it on IG and went on on Twitter about the excellent customer service when she got a different style of boot - a chelsea type boot with a brogue style punctured pattern (may not be the best description!). Possibly to link it lockdown. And I remember when she got them I'd been coveting some Grensons for about a year because of the En Brogue blog. Sali - despite her piece about having finally found her style (which happened to chime with prevailing fashion) and being "never knowingly underheeled" or something. She used to bang on about Saltwater sandals to along with everyone else at the time.
She'll be in, if not wide legged trousers, palazzo pants or similar and will have lost the heavy glasses within a year I expect.

Forgot to add tweet showing "it all started..." about 3 years ago. Why fudge verifiable stuff that's online? It's not obsessive research - some people remember things.
Screenshot_20200928-134309_Twitter.jpg

I don't mean palazzo pants. I mean relaxed parallel trousers. God, I had a pair from Warehouse that I lived in and adored in about 94.

Last edited:

Mselvista

VIP Member
I had some then too - despite being a 5'2" short legged short arse - and some spotty M&S ones that I still have somewhere in the hope i'll fit back in to them.

(and it's too late now but "recast" in my original post was supposed to be "Tevas" - hiking sandals which are all over the place, either branded or just he style)
5'1" here 👋
I had some M&S ones to replace the knackered Warehouse ones which blew off my hotel balcony the day I was flying home. I didn't retrieve them in case it made me late. I still wonder if it was the right thing to do - I probably had time and they were perfect.

Also just realised the absence of Acne Pistols from the article. Apparently they were the most flattering footwear ever. I tried some one in Selfridges and my legs looked the same as in any ankle boot with a heel. And the smallest size was too big for me anyway. I remember that comment in a Pool article about footwear looking better in a smaller size (can't remember what the rest of the article was about). I found it odd because to me some shoes, high heels especially, sometimes don't look as good in small sizes. The proportions can look odd making the foot look really short. Reminds me of Allen Jones' work.

Last edited:

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
@BostonFernGreen, @Colly Wobble thanks for the pj recs. Both are more promising than anything else I've seen recently. There's not a perfect pattern/colour match for me atm so I have signed up with my email to stay in the loop and also get money off first purchase!

Can't believe the Kate Barnét ones are as reasonable as they are!

I also get my brows tinted. I've never thought of doing it at home but would be open to it. The only thing is that I normally get it done at the same time as an eyelash tint, which I can't do myself (obvs).

I've also just got the patch test for an LVL lash lift at my local salon.
I have had an LVL lash lift! I really liked the effects however I found that it eventually made my lashes brittle and some snapped in two. I use eyelash growth serums so they recovered okay and quickly but I was disappointed.

Curio

Chatty Member
I like her tubing mascara article in theory as brands seem allergic to labelling which of their mascaras are tubing and I like knowing my options. But I wish she’d added tubing primers too, as they’re the better option given you get the tubing benefits but can use a more volumising mascara on top (or whatever other style of topper you like). Plus she gets a double hit on the shill board selling both to her readers, and we all know the money is what matters most to Sali.

My favourite combo is the YSL cils primer with the Lancome Monsieur Big mascara on top. Lovely extension level lashes that wash off easily in the shower. I avoid tugging at my delicate eye area as much as possible. With all things including beauty an ounce of prevention for wrinkles is worth ten pounds of eye cream recommended by a botoxed influencer.
She does suggest the opposite in the article, regular mascara first, sealed with a coat of tubing.

crossword

I’ve never used a tubing primer but it sounds intriguing @Runestone . So it prevents the dreaded smudging even though you use mascara afterwards?

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
Was there some overlap at one point with her social media and Tattle? Did someone from here go and "troll" her? How did she find out about this place and her threads?

Enid Swamp

Just found an i.reddit discussion about the statement and the threads on here (what is i.reddit)?

• Wow

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
Someone else must have been on about the Pistols as well as Polly; I remember feeling ~influenced~ and buying some knock-offs, and it definitely wouldn't have been by her. I thought maybe Sali too, but could be wrong.

I'm only vaguely aware of PV but I know she's a horror - did she used to be the Telegraph fashion columnist for quite a while or was that someone else? I recently read Bryony Gordon's first book, and I wondered whether "Chloe" might have been Polly (she changed all the names). Don't know whether this will mean anything to anyone.
I think PV went from The Guardian to The Times and she does stuff for Grazia. I don't know who Bryony Gordon is!

crossword

Latisse is an off-label prostaglandin analogue. It's a glaucoma med with side effects of increasing lashes, reducing periorbital fact and - in some - darkening eye colour. That will only happen if you have eyes that are mixed pigment, like hazel. It won't change blue eyes. I only know this because I use latanoprost (same class of drug) because my eye pressures are high. Oddly only the lashes in the my right eye have become super long and thick. Left eye remains stubbornly immune. Bit of a Clockwork Orange effect :LOL:
I never paint my lower lashes because they’re weirdly long on my left eye only. Total Alex from Clockwork effect! 😂

• Haha