Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Since I gave up using H.A. my horrendously dry skin is much better. I find it ridiculously drying and believed all the influencers who told me I must be applying it incorrectly. Since avoiding it my skin is no longer flaky and tight. It's even leaning towards combination these days. Influencers do not know what they're talking about. One size does not fit all.

Reactions: 12
Really interesting article, thanks for posting. Why is it 'back up', was there some sort of controversy? Sorry if I missed this. It's inspired me to cut out HA temporarily and see what happens, since I have some of the sensitivity and dryness issues mentioned.

ETA: I just thought, this is especially interesting considering the amount of times I've seen Sali tell people they can't possibly be sensitive to HA because it's not an exfoliating acid - and I believed her! I wonder if her next move is "I've always said HA is snake oil, and prefer cosseting ingredients like squalene..."
Jessica wrote about HA back in March in the same online publication but the article mysteriously disappeared very quickly. It was a long article and I didn't keep a copy so I don't know how much has been removed or changed for the rewrite.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
Since I gave up using H.A. my horrendously dry skin is much better. I find it ridiculously drying and believed all the influencers who told me I must be applying it incorrectly. Since avoiding it my skin is no longer flaky and tight. It's even leaning towards combination these days. Influencers do not know what they're talking about. One size does not fit all.
Totally agree with this. I said in one of the threads that HA is far from the miraculous ingredient Sali claims it to be

Really interesting article, thanks for posting. Why is it 'back up', was there some sort of controversy? Sorry if I missed this. It's inspired me to cut out HA temporarily and see what happens, since I have some of the sensitivity and dryness issues mentioned.

ETA: I just thought, this is especially interesting considering the amount of times I've seen Sali tell people they can't possibly be sensitive to HA because it's not an exfoliating acid - and I believed her! I wonder if her next move is "I've always said HA is snake oil, and prefer cosseting ingredients like squalene..."

I don't get on with Clarins, but why does every other person but me find amazing beauty stuff in TK Maxx? I love TK Maxx, but never find anything like the bargains that other people find there. It's always Nars single eyeshadows in weird shades at best. Do they only send certain brands out to certain branches or something?
There's always only junk in my TK Maxx makeup section too.

I'd be a bit wary of buying skincare from them as it's usually old and discontinued stock so god knows how long it's been hanging around

You've influenced me!
Running low on a few of the items. Great box. Apart from the highlighter that I'll not use but will give to someone who will!
Ah I feel awk to have influenced, hope its not a dud! Pls let us know if the sun creams are nice!

I don't get on with Clarins, but why does every other person but me find amazing beauty stuff in TK Maxx? I love TK Maxx, but never find anything like the bargains that other people find there. It's always Nars single eyeshadows in weird shades at best. Do they only send certain brands out to certain branches or something?
I’ve bought Eve Lom in TK Maxx too - 4 face masks for £15.99 instead of £48. The branch in Hammersmith is good but I go to another branch in the sticks which also has good products. I think you have to go in with an open mind & accept you might or might not find something.
I’m resisting looking at more boxes as I end up with unusable products. Got to stay strong!

Reactions: 3

Yes, what @notdumb said. I think someone posted the original in some form here, but it was quite a while ago. I imagine Defino would have said if it had been edited since?

Are either of these anything like Bumble and Bumble Dryspun spray? I love that stuff (the smell is also great) but can't bear spending that much on hairspray (I got some in a deal ages ago but won't be replacing it for £35).

ETA forget the Oribe, I think it's the same price! 😂

Oh wow, never heard of these but it does seem to be an amazing deal for the amount of full size products you get, if you know you want them/would actually use them. Unopened sunscreen has a decent life I think. I'm tempted for the sunscreens, liquid bronzer, natural deodorant, Inkey List serum and eyeshadow pen - which would easily exceed the cost significantly - but don't want to have excess plastic and products I won't use (namely the highlighter palette) lying around. Wish you could just ask them to send you what you want for the same price!
Yeah, they are like that. I think B&B better than Sam McKnight

Reactions: 1
I have dryness and flakiness too, and patches of eczema which I never had 4/5 years ago, but was combination when I was younger. The only thing that seems to properly calm it down is Weleda Skin Food, which I've seen Sali tell someone else with eczema is 'not bland enough' and she recommended CeraVe lotion instead (which I find fine, but not amazing). At the end of the day, she's not a dermatologist and shouldn't be telling people what they should and shouldn't be putting on their skin - especially when it's blanket statements like you 'can't' be sensitive to HA, which is actually really dangerous. Ugh, I'm getting angry now.

Anyway - going to stick to Skin Food, CeraVe SPF moisturiser and maybe squalene if needed and see where I'm at in a few weeks.

Thanks for the context on that article @NotDumbNotBlonde and @Disillusioned. amazing the power that advertisers have.

Ah I feel awk to have influenced, hope its not a dud! Pls let us know if the sun creams are nice!
Oh no! It's a positive influence. You've saved me money on things I actually already use and are running low. And others will benefit from the stuff I won't use. :m

Will report back on spf.

Reactions: 2
I’ve bought Eve Lom in TK Maxx too - 4 face masks for £15.99 instead of £48. The branch in Hammersmith is good but I go to another branch in the sticks which also has good products. I think you have to go in with an open mind & accept you might or might not find something.
Amazing deal! I semi-regularly go to three different branches (and have done for years) and never find the kind of bargains (or brands) other people do. None are around London though, I do wonder if they're better and we don't get the good tit up North!

I have dryness and flakiness too, and patches of eczema which I never had 4/5 years ago, but was combination when I was younger. The only thing that seems to properly calm it down is Weleda Skin Food, which I've seen Sali tell someone else with eczema is 'not bland enough' and she recommended CeraVe lotion instead (which I find fine, but not amazing). At the end of the day, she's not a dermatologist and shouldn't be telling people what they should and shouldn't be putting on their skin - especially when it's blanket statements like you 'can't' be sensitive to HA, which is actually really dangerous. Ugh, I'm getting angry now.

Anyway - going to stick to Skin Food, CeraVe SPF moisturiser and maybe squalene if needed and see where I'm at in a few weeks.

Thanks for the context on that article @NotDumbNotBlonde and @Disillusioned. amazing the power that advertisers have.
Just searched and it was @PineappleQueen19 who originally posted the Defino piece. There’s discussion about it here: http://tattle.life/threads/sali-hug...cts-ive-been-using-for-years.4951/post-985964

Your skin sounds similar to mine. Although I found Skin Food to be the most dehydrating moisturiser I have ever used. I woke up looking like a prune the next morning. I couldn't believe it! I do like Squalene though. Just a light touch over a moisturiser (Cuderm for me). Using a lot of oil can be really drying too. Contrary to what influencers say again.

Your skin sounds similar to mine. Although I found Skin Food to be the most dehydrating moisturiser I have ever used. I woke up looking like a prune the next morning. I couldn't believe it! I do like Squalene though. Just a light touch over a moisturiser (Cuderm for me). Using a lot of oil can be really drying too. Contrary to what influencers say again.
It's a minefield isn't it? There's just too much information out there, and it's hard to know where to get the truth. I can only go by what I've found to work for me (Skin Food was a thoroughly unexpected happy discovery), but it's hard to know what to eliminate sometimes because there's so many ingredients, you really don't know what's doing what - I had no idea about this HA research and really interested to see if my skin improves without it. I've been thinking of booking in with a dermatologist for a while, as my eczema has got more stubborn over the last year or so and I just want some advice from someone I can trust. Would be really interested if anyone has experience seeing a derm, especially if it was to do with eczema/dermatitis (how did you find them? what was the cost and how many times did you need to see them?)

Just searched and it was @PineappleQueen19 who originally posted the Defino piece. There’s discussion about it here: http://tattle.life/threads/sali-hug...cts-ive-been-using-for-years.4951/post-985964
Really interesting discussion, thanks so much. Following Jessica Defino now.

Reactions: 3
That hyaluronic acid article is so interesting. Now *that's* beauty journalism, not "5 best products you need to buy"

Reactions: 11
Really interesting discussion, thanks so much. Following Jessica Defino now.
I started following her after she was first mentioned on this thread and, ever influencable, started washing my face with manuka honey, doing yogurt facemasks and moisturising with rosehip oil. I was sceptical but I've had terrible cystic acne since I was 11 (22 years!) and I was on Roaccutane as well so I have more wrinkles than you'd expect on someone with such oily skin.

Anyway since using honey and oil only I haven't had a single spot and skin is starting to resemble that of a human rather than a rhino as previously.

TL;DR: I am a massive Jessica D stan

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I started following her after she was first mentioned on this thread and, ever influencable, started washing my face with manuka honey, doing yogurt facemasks and moisturising with rosehip oil. I was sceptical but I've had terrible cystic acne since I was 11 (22 years!) and I was on Roaccutane as well so I have more wrinkles than you'd expect on someone with such oily skin.

Anyway since using honey and oil only I haven't had a single spot and skin is starting to resemble that of a human rather than a rhino as previously.

TL;DR: I am a massive Jessica D stan
Oo please share your routine in more detail!

Gothamista mentioned a honey mask that I've ordered a sample of to try

(Can I ask why the roaccutane made you have more wrinkles, I've done 2 rounds 😬)

Reactions: 1
Oo please share your routine in more detail!

Gothamista mentioned a honey mask that I've ordered a sample of to try

(Can I ask why the roaccutane made you have more wrinkles, I've done 2 rounds 😬)
Lol I'm gonna sound like a total hippy crank but I promise just months ago (like March) I was fully on the Sunday Riley/acids all over my face train.

In the morning I just splash my face with water and put on factor 50 (Caroline Hirons would punch me in the ovaries for that).

At night I take any make up off with the rosehip oil then wet my face and clean it with a glob of manuka (I use this one but got it on sale for about £30, Manuka Dr always have great sales it seems - https://www.manukadoctor.co.uk/collections/manuka-honey/products/220-mgo-active-manuka-honey-500g).

Then I tone with a mix of apple cider vinegar, distilled water and rosewater. Then the rosehip oil again, then if I'm still dry a bit of Weleda skin food.

Once a week I mix natural yogurt, honey and turmeric and sit with it on for 15 mins and it seems to act like a bit of an exfoliant.

You probably won't get wrinkles the same but I spent my entire teens and early 20s horrified at the idea of putting moisturiser near my face as it was like a chip pan. So I probably didn't moisturise enough while on it and made them worse. All of the other females in my family have perfect skin so I was sadly lacking in guidance, ha.

Anyway, the honey thing sounded decidedly out there to me but I thought I had very little to lose as my skin hates salicylic acid and all the other harsh stuff. Seems to be working thus far... 🤞🏻

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.