Sali Hughes #16 The sell-out who couldn't sell out, and that is a legal fact.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel bad for saying it, but a badly handled PR issue isnt enough for me to go full boycott. It's not like Loreal were 'ethical' when Munroe signed up to be one of their faces.
You are absolutely right! And I have to confess that I have an irrational dislike of L'Oreal, maybe it's their horrid commercials that have been annoying me my whole life. And even if all of this is performative PR, it sets a tone and will maybe become the standard. I don't expect any company that big or people that rich to be ethical unless they have to be.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Speaks volumes of Sali that the most she has said throughout all of this in defence of white people

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Munroe said that being fired meant she was vilified by the worlds press, which is true. However she did go on Piers Morgan's show after being fired, which is like throwing petrol on a tealight and got all the press attention. Career stepping stone?

Some brands being hyped by Estee Laundry as 'supporting black businesses' are the same buisnesses being deried a few weeks ago for bullying and laying off people during covid.

I dont really care for a brands politics as long as they pay a living wage and reduce wastage in their supply chains.

Some (white) classmates reposted calls to boycott an london indie cafe that trains people with criminal records into baristas, just because they didnt post a BLM statement. :sleep:

• Wow
I dont really care for a brands politics as long as they pay a living wage and reduce wastage in their supply chains.
Obviously we can all make our own decisions on what's important to us when we choose to buy from a particular company, and these are great priorities. But I don't agree that what they did comes down to a brand's "politics": They hired a black trans woman, who posted about systemic racism and the existence of white oppression and white privilege *on her personal Facebook page*, so they fired her, specifically *for these comments*. It sends a pretty clear message to their black customers about their feelings.

Obviously we can all make our own decisions on what's important to us when we choose to buy from a particular company, and these are great priorities. But I don't agree that what they did comes down to a brand's "politics": They hired a black trans woman, who posted about systemic racism and the existence of white oppression and white privilege *on her personal Facebook page*, so they fired her, specifically *for these comments*. It sends a pretty clear message to their black customers about their feelings.
Sorry I seemed dismissive of the racial aspects, i meant to imply that I see it all as political marketing spin unless they are doing the foundational basics, and so don't see much difference between brands who post a black square to be performative and those who don't who aren't trying to kid us that they care. Loreal has some sketchy nazi links, and has skin whitening ranges, so their message isn't new. It was a marketing decision to hire Munroe to be seen to be politically correct, a marketing decision to fire her, and marketing to post the vague black square to seen to be political.

Reactions: 5
Christ, that grlpwrgng mess is a bin fire. It’s like every cliche of toxic white feminism, except I can’t even see that they’re feminists at all. Char Ellesse is wiping the floor with them. Sali still following them.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
They really own everything, duck! Which is why it's even more important to call them out every time. Between them and Ron Lauder* donating money to Trump, who is left?

*Will she be dressing for Ron too?
I know, I know. Head in hands. I’m binning off L’Oreal owned brands and ELG. Estee Laundry has done a list of black owned brands if anyone is interested.

Is there no major brand in the world that’s not run by rich white men who do not have a demographic in their workforce that represents the world.... ? Are they all built on inequality and systemic discrimination across race, gender and sexuality? I’m talking fashion, beauty, music, lifestyle. Ugh. It makes me feel ill.

Just to qualify what I’m saying - I noticed that one of the brands Estee Laundry posted about was Briogeo and their name kept popping up when the bullying tactics were being outed by Estee Laundry last year.

I think what this is telling me is that I need to wash my face in water from the mountain springs in Snowdonia and live in a bleeping tent in the middle of nowhere. There’s so much bullshit out there.

Of course Sali posted about herself with Sharmadean OF COURSE. She’s basically using her to say ‘look at me, I have black colleagues therefore I am a good person’. You know what fucks me off? This whole performative bullshit about the racial inequalities in this country and the US. Just get on with it, stop showing off and telling us about it and quietly do the work. Anything else is for show.

Twats.

Not just aimed at Sali that BTW, the lot of them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
View attachment 146463
Yes, please, let's not take a company accountable, especially this mastodon that owns every other beauty brand out there. Imagine how inconvenient it is for everyone that has to push L'Oreal products. Ignore what, e.g. Munroe Bergdorf say and post, just be kind. #landfill
How the F is any company going to change unless they are scared of losing serious money!? Ask them nicely?
She'll take a passionate stand against a sodding biscuit, but will fence-sit until the cows come home if there is $$$$ is at stake

The saddest and the most disgusting part is that for most people it is a lot easier to turn their heads than to make their life the slightest bit more inconvenient. And that's basically that. Myself included. Nothing heroic, nothing adrenaline charged, no one will clap for you at the supermarket or like your post.
People will do anything to avoid feeling uncomfortable. And you should feel uncomfortable about this, at the very least. I am so disappointed by most people's response to the riots here. It's kneejerk, without any attempt at understanding the complexities and nuances, let alone actual structural racism theory. I've deleted quite a few people I know irl over this., Feeling pretty isolated and glum tbh

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Sali will perform any amount of mental gymnastics to come up with justifications that support her grasping lifestyle. It's truly something to behold

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
She’s had another freaky Friday on one of her groups.
What’s happened?

She'll take a passionate stand against a sodding biscuit, but will fence-sit until the cows come home if there is $$$$ is at stake

People will do anything to avoid feeling uncomfortable. And you should feel uncomfortable about this, at the very least. I am so disappointed by most people's response to the riots here. It's kneejerk, without any attempt at understanding the complexities and nuances, let alone actual structural racism theory. I've deleted quite a few people I know irl over this., Feeling pretty isolated and glum tbh
I am with you all the way. I’ve had some
significant challenges at work this week - not bad but it’s something I’ve felt so strongly about for a long time and finally it seems there is some change coming.

Last edited:
  • Heart
What’s happened?

I am with you all the way. I’ve had some
significant challenges at work this week - not bad but it’s something I’ve felt so strongly about for a long time and finally it seems there is some change coming.
People have said some astonishing things to me. And I'm like, wow, I had no idea you were actually a racist. Partly it can be ignorance, for sure, but don't people think about these things? Challenge themselves? Maybe not. Maybe I expect too much

Reactions: 2
Sorry I seemed dismissive of the racial aspects, i meant to imply that I see it all as political marketing spin unless they are doing the foundational basics, and so don't see much difference between brands who post a black square to be performative and those who don't who aren't trying to kid us that they care. Loreal has some sketchy nazi links, and has skin whitening ranges, so their message isn't new. It was a marketing decision to hire Munroe to be seen to be politically correct, a marketing decision to fire her, and marketing to post the vague black square to seen to be political.
Sorry, I don't think you sounded dismissive of the racial aspects, I was trying to articulate (badly) that I didn't think this was about a brand's politics but about them bullying and discriminating against a woman for expressing anti-racist views, which shouldn't be controversial, and consequently revealing how much they value their POC customers. But you're absolutely right, they've never been a bastion of ethics! And yes, I don't sé much different between those two types of brands either. There's no point posting a black square if they can back it up with any actions/donations/whatever.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Sali's stance with the giant beauty corporations seems to be - 'at least they are TrYinG - which is more than bullies on the internet are doing'. Seriously that is it. Pathetic.
She has been a beauty journalist for so long on a well respected paper and has achieved precisely what exactly?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.