Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
SH: 'I dress for Leonard as though visiting a very posh new boyfriend's dad'.

Leaving Leonard aside, why is she dressing for someone's dad?
Mm. Gets ever more odd.
I don't ever recall dressing for a boyfriend's dad.

Reactions: 1
I get what she's saying, but why not just say parents? Saying dad shifts the meaning

Reactions: 7
Dressing for your lover's father is just creepy. Very different to the meeting-the-parents vibe she was probably going for? (or not)

• Haha
Reactions: 8
That Leonard comment still makes me cringe!! It’s just awful and.... and.... I CANNOT PUT INTO WORDS.... It’s hilarious but extremely disturbing at the same time:

1 - The whole premise that she is effectively dressing to impress a man (a powerful rich man) like she’s some sort of playboy bunny dressing for Hef. I mean I’m all for reading your audience etc but it makes it sound so 1950’s housewife.
2 - it’s the epitome of a fake bourgeois, try hard attitude. Pompous and snobbery at its finest (or worst)
3 - Real mean girl, you’re not in my gang, air of superiority.
4 - who gives a crap?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
That column 😕
I would genuinely love to know the last time Sali stuck her hand in her pocket and paid for a hair treatment of any sort. Always seems to be #presstreatment.
And the constant mention of Hersheson's - isn't that three times recently? Getting ridiculous. I'm sure other struggling hairdressers would be grateful for even one mention - let alone one that offers free treatments to certain people like confetti.

Reactions: 15
I thought her comment about following them and interacting on IG so they stay relevant was v e r y interesting.
Seriously - what was that column all about? It wasn't remotely helpful for readers at all. Bizarre.

Reactions: 10
I thought her comment about following them and interacting on IG so they stay relevant was v e r y interesting.
Seriously - what was that column all about? Bizarre.
I bet she wrote that column when she was getting trollied on the Moet with Dan, let’s face it , it didn’t take any care or deep research .

Reactions: 3
It just didn't provide any useful advice at all for people under lockdown now and for the foreseeable future. I genuinely am baffled as to the point of it.

Reactions: 4
The Telegraph is by no means my paper of choice, but I think its beauty coverage is as good it gets from a daily newspaper - and infinitely better than the Guardian. What's good is the range it covers - from how to wash your hair properly to high-tech cosmetic procedures. Also, it seems to have a number of beauty writers and new content every day so there are a range of perspectives and different types of articles, some superficial, some in-depth.

A lot of the beauty content is behind the paywall but I have £1/week subscription that seems good value.

Reactions: 4
Things I’d like to know (and would want a beauty journo worth their salt & not dialling it in to cover) are:

Post CV, how will luxury brands offer make-overs safely within stores, so staff & customers stay safe & perfect hygiene is guaranteed?
Product testers on displays have always been a bit grim but now they are potentially hazardous - how can we safely try before we buy?
Which brands aren’t under the wing of L’oreal et al & might not survive? If only the big brands make it, then the industry becomes stagnant & lack diversity - not great for innovation.
Will the stockpiling mentality change the way people shop eg will we start buying several of our fave products so we don’t run out, spending our cash on fewer but absolutely reliable hero products?
How will this change influencing - press trips to Bali now seem tone deaf - how will influencers & brands respond to the changing mood?
Will wearing less make-up & being lower maintenance (and trying & liking homemade treatments & remedies) mean people will be more discerning & less ‘spendy’?

This is what I’d like beauty industry insiders to reflect on at the moment - not just more of the same tedious recommendations for Sali’s sponsors. But researching these questions & interviewing people would require journalistic skills & integrity, not just a few product reviews. So I doubt we’ll get anything like this from Sali.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I would really be wary of buying vouchers I'm afraid - no idea how they work in the context of hair salons but say sadly they go out of business, and aren't transferable? I'm sure not many people would bother to chase them up.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.