Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone spot the news about CT sale?

CT is so ridiculously OTT:

Lip volume appears boosted by up to 70% in 28 days***

I really like British Beauty Blogger's take on this:

Reactions: 5
Regarding the Cult Beauty blurb, I'd also like to take issue with the assertion that she helps 'her community...avoid wasting money on the 'so-sos' and the 'no-gos''.

One of my main peeves about SH - even before she transitioned from beauty writer to influencer - is that that is simply not what she does. She doesn't says 'this product is a waste of money' or even something like 'there are better products doing the same job'. She only ever(1) gives positive reviews, makes recommendations, encourages spending.

She acknowledges herself that she only gives positive reviews, with the justification that a) she only has limited space and would rather use it to talk about good products and b) even if a product doesn't suit her it might suit someone else. As for (a), she has all the space she'd like on IG and other media/social media. As for (b), why give an opinion on anything then?

(1) I know she once gave a fairly negative IG review to a no-brand supposedly miracle face mask but the whole post seemed designed solely to boost her 'honesty' credentials.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

I bet EL will have their beady eye on it!

Reactions: 2
Following me around the internet have been ads for CT products at 20% off...not sure if they are genuine and i haven't clicked on them but the thought crossed my mind that here's would be a vulnerable brand - stand alone shops with lots of fixed costs, high price point...I imagine there would be lots of appetite to restructure it, shut the shops, start a diffusion line which gets sold into Boots and Superdrug...extract the very last of its value before running it into the ground and then shutting it entirely. Meanwhile CT retires with pile of cash and fades into irrelevance alongside her aging sleb clients.

And of course then pillowtalk lipstick can go into the SH beauty hall of fame as a last gesture for all the sponsorship....

• Sick
Reactions: 11
I’m actually dumbfounded that something like this is being touted right now. Talk about tone deaf, or do these people really just live in their bubble and not give a tit what’s going on in the world around them???
She tweeted the other day that online beauty sales were at 'pre-Christmas levels' - which I assume is high. It does seem counterintuitive. I can understand home hair dye, home beauty devices - and maybe it's just part of people generally buying online because they can't get to the shops.

Whatever the reason, SH should know and maybe now seems the right time to cash in.

Reactions: 3
I wonder if sales really are that high? Or is it just spin? I understand they’ll be a massive increase in home hair dye stuff but why is anybody buying makeup when we’re mostly all stuck at home.

Reactions: 7
I think SH is reading the room wrong (again) and it's just people stocking up. Boots online was incredibly busy at the start of lockdown, and had almost completely sold out of shampoo, soap etc. Once anyone starts seeing that things are sold out, it causes a slight panic (who wants to run out of shampoo?) and then people buy two or three of something rather than one. Premium make up looked to be fully stocked - no 'spendy treating' happening.

An influencer who gets piles of free stuff wouldn't have experienced this - no need to buy what is stacked in boxes in your spare room.

They just see the overall sales figures and fall back on that patronising wartime assumption that women are buying a red lipstick to cheer themselves up. But that's not the case - we're not at war, a bomb isn't going to kill us tomorrow so have that treat today. Instead we're probably about to reduce or lose incomes and scramble for money to feed and house ourselves. Some people lead a very cosseted existence if they're still spending as they did before lockdown...

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Is it just me or does CT launch a new product every couple of days?

Reactions: 2
Is it just me or does CT launch a new product every couple of days?
I don’t get the appeal of Charlotte Tilbury products. I’ve tried a few in the past and they’re average at best (eye shadow, the bronzing and illuminator powder and the mascara), only my opinion of course.

Reactions: 5
I think SH is reading the room wrong (again) and it's just people stocking up. Boots online was incredibly busy at the start of lockdown, and had almost completely sold out of shampoo, soap etc. Once anyone starts seeing that things are sold out, it causes a slight panic (who wants to run out of shampoo?) and then people buy two or three of something rather than one. Premium make up looked to be fully stocked - no 'spendy treating' happening.

An influencer who gets piles of free stuff wouldn't have experienced this - no need to buy what is stacked in boxes in your spare room.

They just see the overall sales figures and fall back on that patronising wartime assumption that women are buying a red lipstick to cheer themselves up. But that's not the case - we're not at war, a bomb isn't going to kill us tomorrow so have that treat today. Instead we're probably about to reduce or lose incomes and scramble for money to feed and house ourselves. Some people lead a very cosseted existence if they're still spending as they did before lockdown...
I agree - and with what @Mokie says - but I'd assume (maybe wrongly) that such a venture would be informed by a more granular sales and market analysis.

Reactions: 1
I wonder if sales really are that high? Or is it just spin? I understand they’ll be a massive increase in home hair dye stuff but why is anybody buying makeup when we’re mostly all stuck at home.
Yeah, I can’t see it being sales if the high end type of stuff Sali Hughes usually flogs. Just using Boots as an example, their website is readily accessible again although a lot of essential products remain out of stock. So for them, it would make sense that in terms of units sold, it may be those products that are bumping up the online sales figures, rather than premium beauty.

Reactions: 3
I don’t get the appeal of Charlotte Tilbury products. I’ve tried a few in the past and they’re average at best (eye shadow, the bronzing and illuminator powder and the mascara), only my opinion of course.
I agree. I bought the foundation and it was absolutely terrible. Patchy going on and wore off so fast, and I don't have particularly oily skin.
My friend bought the eyeshadow quad, took it home and opened it and one of the shadows just fell out.
We both returned our purchases. I wouldn't buy anything from her again.

Reactions: 8
Yeah, I can’t see it being sales if the high end type of stuff Sali Hughes usually flogs. Just using Boots as an example, their website is readily accessible again although a lot of essential products remain out of stock. So for them, it would make sense that in terms of units sold, it may be those products that are bumping up the online sales figures, rather than premium beauty.
And maybe if the high-end stuff isn't selling it makes sense to box it up and sell it at a significant discount as a carefully curated collection of must have items.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
@DCICassieStuart, I’ve found CT’s makeup to be underwhelming for the price point. I don’t like her take on makeup as creating this super sexualised female image curated for the observer (she’s says her husband has never seen her without makeup on). And the silly adjectives she uses to describe products. Sorry by I’m long not 4 to believe that a face cream could be ‘magic’. Infantilising, glamorising and objectifying have been certainly great marketing strategies for her makeup line. It’s depressing, but it works! Interestingly though CT website is full of discount offers at the mo...

• Heart
British Beauty Blogger’s review is very good. I still know the product’s decent but the BS has been called out. *More of this type of thing.

*A nod to Fr Ted.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.