Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was thinking about my post and if I was her I’d probably say ‘if you don’t like how I’m doing it (charity work), then do it yourself’ so I’m being unfair really. I was thinking about where it comes from (the feeling from my perspective) and I think it’s from wanting to help and then feeling stupid for trying to help the ‘wrong’ way. Again - my issue rather than the charity’s.
Don't be hard on yourself. That gut instinct that makes you roll your eyes when you read about supposedly selfless charity work is spot on. You're not alone in that feeling, and then questioning whether you're the bad person for questioning someone else's motives. We all see the subtle bandwagon jump of BB from helping 'the poor' to helping 'our nhs heroes' (who aren't sufferers of hygiene poverty).

Also, even if you're just here to let off steam, moan, witch and be your worst self, that's ok. We don't know what pressures you're under. Get it out of your system here, and go back to the real people you love in this strange situation we're all in and be your usual lovely self.

Reactions: 22
I've just inhaled a white choc cornflake bar of rittersport here.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
It’s the “choceur” one in the cardboard box. I made rice crispie cakes with it last year and my mum thought I’d splashed out 😂
Lovely 😋 I'll get my husband to pick up some because he'll have to do a shop towards the end of the week.
He's a key worker while my job is on hold at the moment. Because he has to go out anyway, we decided it was better for him to do the shopping. That way only one of us has to go out.

Reactions: 3
Exactly, there are so many genuine acts of kindness and generosity in the world that don’t ever look for ticker tape parades

Reactions: 2
Me too! I went through a phase of HCC and then in horror one day saw broken veins and the HCC was the only thing I had done differently. I never now vigorously rub with a flannel no matter what water temperature. I have a sort of hands off approach now to skin care - less is more.
I know, right? The amount of rubbing CH does makes my skin hurt just watching it.
My skin hated HCC, I went back to cotton pads and micellar water (shock! horror!) and just plain water and it*s absolutely fine. CH would probably call me a slag, but hey ho.

Oh, and I love dark chocolate. The darker the better. Gimme 90% cocoa. An entire BAR please. And a Snickers.

Reactions: 5
Lovely 😋 I'll get my husband to pick up some because he'll have to do a shop towards the end of the week.
He's a key worker while my job is on hold at the moment. Because he has to go out anyway, we decided it was better for him to do the shopping. That way only one of us has to go out.
Get a few, they can’t be nibbled.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
It’s mini egg season in our house - cold in the fridge, every time I open the fridge I grab a couple of mini eggs. So nice.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I just use cool water in the mornings, my skin responded well and hasn't fallen off yet 😁

I occasionally watch videos by Susan Yara where she looks at other people's skincare routines (but isn't mean about it). She'd be horrified by what Sali and Caroline do to their faces. Can't get the visual out of my head of CH, wiping her face with a flannel like she hates her skin, but avoiding those awful lash extensions, so it just makes her look like she still has eye make up on.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I remember reading a post from Caroline Hirons once where she says something like (paraphrase alert) ‘I can tell when I meet people who don’t wash their face properly by the skin around the outside of their face’. Er no shaming there!!

Found it, Red article

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I read a comment by Caroline about when you wake up, and think your skin looks nice and glossy, it is because it is sweaty and dirty so needs to be cleansed thoroughly. I always thought that was a bit harsh as maybe your skin just looks better after a bit of rest. It is the way everything is a problem to be attacked with some product or other.
My skin hated HCC, I went back to cotton pads and micellar water (shock! horror!)
Same here! I love a micellar water I've been using for a few weeks now - it is Garnier Rose Water Cleanse and Glow. Recommend highly - takes off every scrap of make-up very gently and does leave skin sort of clear and glowy. It was about £3 for a big 400ml bottle.
We all see the subtle bandwagon jump of BB from helping 'the poor' to helping 'our nhs heroes' (who aren't sufferers of hygiene poverty).
This has left me conflicted as yes what they are doing is lovely and therefore a Good Thing. But the NHS aspect wasn't in the mission statement at all, and wasn't mentioned at all in the recent Gofundme page of a couple of weeks ago - it very clearly said the money was for refuges, food banks and one other outlet (which I have forgotten) serving people suffering from hygiene poverty. I've worked for a few charities and they all have a very clear purpose, tempting though it is to try and solve every need. I'm sure Sali will say they are responding to a rapidly developing and ongoing situation and seeing where their help can be most useful, but as you say the NHS staff aren't suffering from hygiene poverty (not minimising their other huge problems obviously) so not sure why this is a natural crossover? It would be interesting to know the % of funds going to each sector they are helping.
(Goes without saying I am not being at all critical of the NHS getting all the help they need and deserve).

Reactions: 11
Can’t sleep so randomly picked up the previous week’s Observer mag... This tit is straight out of the 1950s!!!

Also this is 22 March so well into the pandemic. Tone-deaf, 100% luxe nonsense. At least when Sali was good she actually did depart from this archaic model of beauty writing.

1B74674A-7129-4164-9911-3759882C499D.jpeg

• Angry
I have stopped acid toning and my skin is so much better for it! I know it seems to work for a lot of people but my tiny bumps have completely gone. I feel so mad at myself that I was brainwashed into believing all of these steps were necessary for everyone.

Posts about chocolate are spot on. Life is too short for nibbling tiny squares of dark chocolate. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. Just another subtle way to shame women.
I became a convert to acid toning in the early days but had to stop as my skin reacted badly after a while, I was constantly getting spots then developed a type of dermatitis around my mouth which needed treatment by GP. I stopped all the acids, face masks, exfoliators and went back to gentle cleansing and moisturising and my skin is fine. I feel silly for having swallowed the hype.

Talking of dark chocolate, have you tried the Aldi dark chocolate with hazelnuts, so delicious, and it's impossible to eat 'just one square' :)

For the past two weeks - if it’s been a good day - I’ve washed my skin once, put a serum on and done nothing else at all. No makeup applied, zero effort made, no shits given. It’s mostly been down to depression and not having to go out, but flipping Christ, my skin looks so much better than it has in years. Fine lines are softer, tone is better, fewer spots. It’s a noticeable improvement.

What a bleeping racket the skincare industry is. So desperate to flog you products that you don’t need and wouldn’t want without being told that somehow your life will be better if you just add this step into your routine.
I’ve never been more aware of what a massive waste of time, energy, money and plastic it all is.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I read a comment by Caroline about when you wake up, and think your skin looks nice and glossy, it is because it is sweaty and dirty so needs to be cleansed thoroughly. I always thought that was a bit harsh as maybe your skin just looks better after a bit of rest. It is the way everything is a problem to be attacked with some product or other.
Yeah, I remember that comment, too. I guess she's aware (being an EXPERT after all) that skin produces natural sebum which isn't nuclear waste that needs to be scrubbed off, only to apply artificial layers of moisturizer afterwards. My morning cleanse is cold water and it's just fine.

Reactions: 6
Yeah, I remember that comment, too. I guess she's aware (being an EXPERT after all) that skin produces natural sebum which isn't nuclear waste that needs to be scrubbed off, only to apply artificial layers of moisturizer afterwards. My morning cleanse is cold water and it's just fine.
I only use water in the morning. No cleanser or anything (unless I’ve been particularly sweaty in the night).
I’m acne prone and the more tit I put on my face the worse it would get. Actually managed to burn my face. Took ages to repair the barrier. Now I keep it simple. I have a breakout just now. It’s pretty bad, but I know it’s bad diet and being stuck at home because of corona. I’ve started eating better, laying off the Pepsi and started looking at veg again and I know it’ll be better soon. The anxiety doesn’t help my face either.
I could plaster my face but even with tret I still get the odd brake out. I’d rather that than a face screaming because it’s got all this crap on it.

Another reason I don’t believe them, is they use different stuff every day. You need to use stuff for a full skin cycle (is it 6 weeks, I can’t remember off the top of my head) to see if it works for you. So when they say it’s amazing it does x,y,z , how do they know when they’ve used it for a week? Beyond the fact, money means they’re not objective, they’re not necessarily testing properly.

Reactions: 10
Good morning, this isn’t technically a post about Sali but I got myself all in a rage last night and need somewhere to vent...!!

Was while watching Nadine baggotts stories about all the products she is donating to beauty banks, and wow how my eyes were open to just how much these influencers and bloggers get sent...!! Bags and bags full of various cleansers, acids, moisturisers, everything you can think of!

Yes while it’s great they’re all donating all this, but it’s no skin off their nose is it really giving away items they’ve been sent for free in the first place?! Yes the whole community is orgasming over it and giving them hero status!? Surely all the stuff they get sent should be donated the rest of the year aswell since they obviously don’t need it!? You’d think by how everyone is reacting that they’d walked over hot coals for a starving African child... but oh no, just given away tit they got for free, how bloody
Noble of them. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

• Angry
Reactions: 27
Celebs/influencers need to recognise their own superfluousness within this crisis. Just pipe down for a while. Nothing you say or are selling is anything anyone will need right now.

But alas. Their hungry, needy egos get the better of them and they start to jitter and panic when they haven’t posted any bolloxy content in the last five minutes.
I am finding myself ridiculously angered by these "influencers" shilling their ad-gifted crap currently. They do not give a f*ck about the people who have to travel to work, process the orders, pick the stock, the courier's who have to collect and sort the items and the poor drivers who have to deliver the crap.
Not one thought for them. I understand that we're all fed up and want nice treats, but FFS. Some people are poor, frightened and have lost their jobs, health, loved ones, and these folks are just sell, sell, sell. They don't give a hoot about upping the odds of exposing others to potential CV-19. They're not even supporting and promoting small independent businesses. It's fecking Cult Beauty et al.

Also other charities are available that tirelessly help people and get them products they require to stay clean and healthy. Not just the "official NHS London" supplier. There are other charity's that supply all over the country to all NHS trusts, people and organisations. They just don't have time to make up a pretty flashing logo to post on their social media about how official they are.

Sorry. I'm a "bit" angry today it seems.

All charities that help the vulnerable are excellent. I am not.

Reactions: 15
Me three, I think it was on one of those cheat sheets

Then I realised my body sweats a bit overnight, my face not so much, and unless I've been sleep walking and rubbing my face on the ground outside, I can't understand where the supposed dirt is coming from.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.