Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Inspired to go and have a nice wedge of Caramel dairy milk.

The language of sin and naughtiness around food is diabolical.

Reactions: 16
We’re not just supposed to pay thousands of pounds a year to have our faces altered, starve ourselves until we’re thin enough (but god no, never “skinny fat”), we’re ALSO expected to smile pleasantly and lie, and say we don’t want sloppy, unfeminine things like big, chunky bars of milk chocolate; packets of crisps; pies; anyway. A tiny, ladylike square of bitter, withholding dark chocolate is more than enough for us!

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
Unfortunately that comes across as I am so busy doing this wonderful, wonderful thing that I also can’t cope with the Herculean task of responding to people on Twitter about this wonderful, wonderful thing. It is great that they’re doing it, but maybe a ‘really sorry if we can’t respond individually to the mentions but here’s our official process’ might work.

Reactions: 10
Unfortunately that comes across as I am so busy doing this wonderful, wonderful thing that I also can’t cope with the Herculean task of responding to people on Twitter about this wonderful, wonderful thing. It is great that they’re doing it, but maybe a ‘really sorry if we can’t respond individually to the mentions but here’s our official process’ might work.
UNLESS you have a blue tick

Reactions: 4
I don’t work in a women’s refuge, but I do work in a similar sector. What I would say is that the general public and organisations big and small have been incredibly generous, particularly around food (which we really need!). Aside from the obvious worry of people becoming seriously ill, I was worried about how I was going to provide the basics to people, but we’re doing ok, and whilst the generosity of others of course cannot go on forever, it’s been remarkable enough that we can probably be sustained for many weeks of this, and additional government funding and various grants, big and small, are on their way which enables us to continue doing what we do.

I agree that people giving money is usually the most useful. Second most useful is to follow preferred charities on social media (local or national, whatever works for you!) and look at what they’re requesting. If you can assist with something in particular, brilliant. If not, that’s ok, maybe another time.
Sorry to derail!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Going to detail with skincare chat- I had a revelation recently. Noticed that I had a few broken capillaries on my face and couldn't figure out why as I always use SPF. It then hit me that it's probably the hot cloth cleansing that's recommended by SH and CH etc. So I've switched to just cold water.

It then hit me that it's probably the hot cloth cleansing that's recommended by SH and CH etc
This happened to me as well. Not to mention those nose plasters I used to do in my 20s. I try to pat my skin dry. No rubbing or anything mechanical or I'll look like a map.

Reactions: 5
This happened to me as well. Not to mention those nose plasters I used to do in my 20s. I try to pat my skin dry. No rubbing or anything mechanical or I'll look like a map.
Me too! I went through a phase of HCC and then in horror one day saw broken veins and the HCC was the only thing I had done differently. I never now vigorously rub with a flannel no matter what water temperature. I have a sort of hands off approach now to skin care - less is more.

Reactions: 9
I have stopped acid toning and my skin is so much better for it! I know it seems to work for a lot of people but my tiny bumps have completely gone. I feel so mad at myself that I was brainwashed into believing all of these steps were necessary for everyone.

Posts about chocolate are spot on. Life is too short for nibbling tiny squares of dark chocolate. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. Just another subtle way to shame women.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Posts about chocolate are spot on. Life is too short for nibbling tiny squares of dark chocolate. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. Just another subtle way to shame women.
Exactly! If you can't have a big dirty Mars bar in the middle of a pandemic, then when in the hell can you?! 🍫

• Heart
Well I for one like to nibble on a tiny square of organic dark chocolate — by which I mean the whole feckin’ bar — of an evening too! It’s not just for the dainty influencer...

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I can never not roll my eyes hard when I hear people say they treat themselves with a square of at least 70% organic dark chocolate. Oh do please duck off. I’m currently scoffing Aldi’s Choceur, the one with nuts in that cost 59p

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I was thinking about my post and if I was her I’d probably say ‘if you don’t like how I’m doing it (charity work), then do it yourself’ so I’m being unfair really. I was thinking about where it comes from (the feeling from my perspective) and I think it’s from wanting to help and then feeling stupid for trying to help the ‘wrong’ way. Again - my issue rather than the charity’s.

I remember a book or article I read in my teens about girls in a boarding school and how they’d only eat two squares of dark chocolate, nothing else, over a whole day. I remember thinking that sounded a bit glamorous (clearly they had eating disorders). This just seems to be the modern day equivalent.

Reactions: 6
Aw man the aldi choceur is fecking gorgeous!!!! I can’t keep that stuff in the house- it is class!!!! Yum yum! I’m away to smash a £1block of galaxy outa Poundland!

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.