Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Influencers are now officially offering their services to the NHS frontline. Sali is now on call...

View attachment 114160
View attachment 114159
Yes come on NHS workers - you may be facing death, fear and misery on a daily basis but that is no excuse to let standards slip. You may want to just go home and cry or have some wine in the bath but instead use your valuable time to brush up on your makeup skills and skincare routine.
Brilliant (y)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

Spanner

Chatty Member
When I saw this week’s column was about hairdressers I thought surely she won’t mention Hersheshons AGAIN? They have two branches in London and then a few blow-dry/braid bars. I know they do some products but they’re not a nationally known company. I live in London (& I’ve even been to Hershesons) but my god, there is a whole country out there! I can’t believe the front in mentioning a two-salon hairdresser SO MUCH

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I actually agree with SH on this. Women (and men) who have decorative tat in their homes declaring their beverage of choice *are* reductive twats.View attachment 118697 :sick:
Omg that is brilliant. Didn't she say the reductive twat is the one who buys the present? Bit rude about India.

And let us never forget 'Lipstick, Literature, Liberalism'

• Haha

melfish

VIP Member
I'd have stopped him taking the picture that I immediately uploaded for my worshippers to praise? Wot? 🤪

The only thing more astonishing than someone posting their feet for people to praise during a pandemic is that PEOPLE WILL ACTUALLY DO THIS

Last edited:
  • Haha

Disillusioned

VIP Member
NHS staff were appealing for toiletries on social media. Not because they personally couldn’t afford them, but because they couldn’t source enough quickly enough and were desperate. A London hospital tweeted asking for individually wrapped soaps, others asked for shower gel as frontline staff needed to shower before leaving work. And of course hand cream.

None of this is anything to do with luxury treats or “me time”, just the vastly increased need for necessities.

Personally, I’ve no idea if Beauty Banks should be focussing on this or sticking to their original mission, but I no longer trust SH to make ethical decisions on anything.

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Usually the cost of the box is less than the combined cost of the contents, so you could theoretically save money if you were going to buy all of the products separately.
But who ends up doing that?! No one!

They think they’re buying a bit of her glitter. (Oh, actually, prediction! There will be an Hourglass glitter eyeshadow in the box. They are gorgeous, sorry.)
So true! If the box includes make up, I predict a flop because the shades never suit anyone. It's like the crappy 'gift with purchase' of little trial make up bags (do brands still do them?).

The lipstick was always a coral that made your teeth look yellow, the mascara always made your eyes run, there was usually an eye duo of dark brown shimmer and off white shimmer eyeshadow, a sample of perfume which always smelt like the one your mum wore, something random like a Christmas cracker sized comb, all stored in what was always described as a 'luxury pochette', but was a tiny plastic fabric make up bag in a horrible colour with a zip that broke the first time you used it...so nana!

• Haha
  • Heart

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
I think SH is reading the room wrong (again) and it's just people stocking up. Boots online was incredibly busy at the start of lockdown, and had almost completely sold out of shampoo, soap etc. Once anyone starts seeing that things are sold out, it causes a slight panic (who wants to run out of shampoo?) and then people buy two or three of something rather than one. Premium make up looked to be fully stocked - no 'spendy treating' happening.

An influencer who gets piles of free stuff wouldn't have experienced this - no need to buy what is stacked in boxes in your spare room.

They just see the overall sales figures and fall back on that patronising wartime assumption that women are buying a red lipstick to cheer themselves up. But that's not the case - we're not at war, a bomb isn't going to kill us tomorrow so have that treat today. Instead we're probably about to reduce or lose incomes and scramble for money to feed and house ourselves. Some people lead a very cosseted existence if they're still spending as they did before lockdown...

• Heart

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
No, I know she's not trying to sell them. I don't think she'd be classed as an 'influencer' as such, but something about showing off expensive make up and looking for validation on it at this time just left a bad taste in my mouth.
"Read the room." innit 😁

A friend of mine has recently had her team furloughed. Two fit and healthy friends both had to attend A&E struggling to breathe (they are both OK). Others who work in healthcare are terrified of becoming unwell. Seeing celebrities, influencers, whatever you want to call them finding thinly-veiled ways of seeking validation. Yeah, eye-roll, no time for it. The NYT piece nails it.

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
Bonus Sali point for referencing Madonna.

Interviewer: What do you think of Lady Gaga
Madonna: Reductive
Interviewer: What does that mean
Madonna: Look it up *sips tea*.

Next igtv Sali will be saying that she simply loathes hydrangeas...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

MK’s not trying to flog them I don’t think?

I think perhaps if you’ve (generic) followed MK, read her and consequently (usually) end up fond of her you know make up is her pleasure, and seeing her take her pleasure is sort of uplifting because she was in a bad way for so long.

edit: clearly I am fond of her so I am biased to the above view rather than being critical of her. #transparency

Spanner

Chatty Member
Omg that is brilliant. Didn't she say the reductive twat is the one who buys the present? Bit rude about India.

And let us never forget 'Lipstick, Literature, Liberalism'
Don't! I almost bought one. I cringe for two years ago me

• Haha

Too Much

VIP Member
The more you look into Sali's life/work, the less impressive it is. Significantly less impressive.

rosemarina

VIP Member
I just can't help thinking this initiative, though I'm sure is meant well, is like something from the 1950s. Appearance for women is everything.
I genuinely can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is that makes me a bit uneasy.
Same. It’s like it’s reminding women not to let all this slip, even now.

• Heart
  • Sad

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
“god I’m so stressed, I simply NEED a gin and a £30 lipstick, I’m so stressed, cried all day”.
I'd facepalm but I'm scared to touch my face.

Also, what the f was that post about her not being offended by what people wear? What is this, medieval times and you'd be punished for wearing velvet when you're a peasant? How can someone's clothes offend you? Mixing prints will cause adverse reactions?
And "Sure, Jan", you don't care what others think, that's why you had to write a short story about it and clearly emphasise that you DNGAF.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Aude

VIP Member
Her story (and SH's) don't add up to me. I'd put money on there being connections which put them in a privileged position when very young, because neither of them are particularly talented.
With both, I think that what makes up the talent deficit is the most extraordinary degree of self-belief - that they are right, that they have a unique/quirky take on things and something to say that the nation will want to hear.

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Remember when Sali's husband posted a picture of their wedding and there were a few "cor you're punching mate" type comments. She then replied to them going on about how great a shag he was.

Also, the tattle "response" about Giles Coren? One poster made a joke about Giles being more fanciable, it's not like there was a conference to agree the official Tattle line on the subject. Several other posters also said her husband was handsome

Last edited:
  • Sick