Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's more of the martyr Sali going on over on Twitter a the moment. She was tagged in a thread & she is sooo defensive
What is that spat even about? I can't really follow it. Not sure why Sali even gets involved with stuff like that.

Reactions: 1
What is that spat even about? I can't really follow it. Not sure why Sali even gets involved with stuff like that.
What's funny is what the person tweeted afterwards: "Have interacted with her before. Sadly her default mode is paranoid defensive, never ‘oh that’s interesting feedback’. Assumes everyone that @‘s her is a troll. Sad."

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
What's funny is what the person tweeted afterwards: "Have interacted with her before. Sadly her default mode is paranoid defensive, never ‘oh that’s interesting feedback’. Assumes everyone that @‘s her is a troll. Sad."
I just don't understand why she even gets involved. Why? Just ignore it.

Reactions: 1
We know she's capable of it. The Prince Andrew comment, for example

If I were that sensitive, I'd just get off twitter

It must take a toll, perceiving everything as an attack. Or feeling like you have to take a stand on everything, right down to biscuits

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7

If I were that sensitive, I'd just get off twitter

It must take a toll, perceiving everything as an attack. Or feeling like you have to take a stand on everything, right down to biscuits
And movies!

Reactions: 2
Right. Latest column. Am I being really dim (probably yes) but I pay someone a monthly fee to talk about my skin?
Can't help thinking this column is possibly the most unhelpful and irrelevant ever.

Reactions: 9
remember she will be holding out for that MBE though. That Twitter thing was a weird one to respond to, tagged or not.

I reckon she is so paranoid she thinks anyone on Twitter who doesn’t lap up her inane, dull, wannabe quirky opinions is a beefy faced Tattler. Can’t possibly just be an ’ordinary’ person with a different take on things.

Right. Latest column. Am I being really dim (probably yes) but I pay someone a monthly fee to talk about my skin?
Can't help thinking this column is possibly the most unhelpful and irrelevant ever.
again, disbelief, she got paid for that :sleep:💤

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Definitely a phone in.

It reads like she’s keeping the column ticking over on life support until she can announce something bigger and better. Imagine saying patronising things like “it changed my life but I just outgrew it, you know”

Except bigger and better has not miraculously turned up and she’s writing about plastic hair clips and £30 pots of pink tinted mineral oil.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
possibly the most unhelpful and irrelevant ever
Bold words, but after reading it, true.

Although I'd be curious to see what and how many products would these dermatologists suggest using and compare them to the routines influencers put on their IG.

Reactions: 3
Meanwhile in The Times, Lesley Thomas is praising a high street mascara in case anyone’s on the hunt for a good one:

“This belter of a product, called Scandaleyes Volume On Demand Mascara (£7.99; rimmellondon.com), may well be wasted on the young. It creates noticeable curl, length and boldness with just one layer; two layers and you’re turbo-Bambi; three and a teenager might say you look quite nice. I am keeping it close to my side, in case it gets requisitioned.”

She also says if you have money to spend the new Gucci L’Obscur mascara is excellent.

Bold words, but after reading it, true.

Although I'd be curious to see what and how many products would these dermatologists suggest using and compare them to the routines influencers put on their IG.
I went to a derm (not for cosmetic reasons) and brought up skincare, he was horrified by the elaborate routines people go about with these days

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I think the general hesitancy to #ad is partly due to not wanting to be seen to be an influencer but also, if you have to hashtag a free lipstick the same you do one you've been given £5,000 (or whatever the rate is) there's probably a fear the #ad money will reduce significantly.

Reactions: 7
I went to a derm (not for cosmetic reasons) and brought up skincare, he was horrified by the elaborate routines people go about with these days

Yeah but remember dermatologists are not to be trusted:

(I know this is Caroline Hirons, Sali's opinion might be different,obvs).

Dermatologists recommending La Roche Posay, Avene and Vichy (among others) repeatedly. French pharmacy brands set aside huge marketing budgets every year to target and court dermatologists and pharmacies and win over all their ‘affordable’ recommendations. It is literally the skincare equivalent of lobbyists in politics. A full budget dedicated solely to wooing dermatologists, all so that when a magazine asks a derm what affordable product they would recommend they hear the magical ‘Oh I always recommend XXX in my practice, it’s excellent and does exactly the same as professional brands!’. We all know its not true but that’s how the cookie crumbles. Question everything.

• Wow
Yeah but remember dermatologists are not to be trusted:

(I know this is Caroline Hirons, Sali's opinion might be different,obvs).

Dermatologists recommending La Roche Posay, Avene and Vichy (among others) repeatedly. French pharmacy brands set aside huge marketing budgets every year to target and court dermatologists and pharmacies and win over all their ‘affordable’ recommendations. It is literally the skincare equivalent of lobbyists in politics. A full budget dedicated solely to wooing dermatologists, all so that when a magazine asks a derm what affordable product they would recommend they hear the magical ‘Oh I always recommend XXX in my practice, it’s excellent and does exactly the same as professional brands!’. We all know its not true but that’s how the cookie crumbles. Question everything.
That coming from Caroline is a bit rich. How many brands is she in bed with?

Reactions: 9
Still baffled as to the point of that column. I looked at her columns from a few years ago and they were so much better - paragraph outlining the topic that week, then about 6 recommendations of varying prices. Usually there, or in the comments, there was a little gem from somewhere like Superdrug. But trusting a consultant over the internet? Is that not even possibly dangerous? I really do think Sali is so much better than this - who even is it aimed at? Has she used these services? I hope she isn't recommending them otherwise but it didn't actually say so.

Reactions: 2
I tried the Dermatica service a couple of years ago. I filled in the on-line consultation form including noting that I'd been using (prescription only) Tretinoin for many years and was well acclimatised to it. Their suggested prescription was for entry level Tretinoin (0.025%) versus the 0.1% I was comfortably using. It felt far from being a 'personalised' service. I didn't proceed. This was a couple of years ago and may have improved.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.