Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Still baffled as to the point of that column. I looked at her columns from a few years ago and they were so much better - paragraph outlining the topic that week, then about 6 recommendations of varying prices. Usually there, or in the comments, there was a little gem from somewhere like Superdrug. But trusting a consultant over the internet? Is that not even possibly dangerous? I really do think Sali is so much better than this - who even is it aimed at? Has she used these services? I hope she isn't recommending them otherwise but it didn't actually say so.
Like hell she’s used them! She’ll have been given a freebie trial session. And very slack of her to use the term ‘consultant’ to mean two vastly different things in one piece: medical consultant and later, presumably, brand/skincare consultant.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
Right. Latest column. Am I being really dim (probably yes) but I pay someone a monthly fee to talk about my skin?
Can't help thinking this column is possibly the most unhelpful and irrelevant ever.
Wait ...... Sssh, listen. What's that noise? Is that the bottom of a barrel I hear being scraped?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
That column. Dear me. So she's essentially recommending two services which would replace reading a 'beauty' column?

And both 'services' are completely disingenuous. Access to 'dermatologists, doctors and pharmacists' via sending in a photo for £20? We know how that's going to work, don't we... A sales person (no different to a counter sales person - I refuse to call them 'consultants' because it sounds like a medical consultant, ie a senior doctor) looks at your pic and then sends you whatever three+ step regime they need to shift. Anyone with skin that looks like it should be examined on Embarrassing Bodies gets their photo sent a derm who takes a two second look at the picture and then will recommend they go to a doctor.

The other service is only a sales person too. 'well-trained, experienced consultant' - they all look about 12 years old. What are they really going to know about my skin that I don't? Once again, women are encouraged to put their power in the hands of someone else. Are adult women really 'bewildered' by skincare as Sali believes? Because if they are, they probably shouldn't be trusted with responsible things like, ooh, the vote...?

Why does SH never actually recommend a dermatologist? It might cost £100-150, but it's the best money anyone can spend if they have a skin issue. They won't recommend expensive products, if they recommend products at all (in fact they are far more likely to say stop using anything other than a basic cleanser and moisturiser to help your skin). I guess it's because most of the beauty industry's 'skin issues' are actually 'normal aging'. Anything which genuinely needs a derm (rosacea, cystic acne, psoriasis etc) can't be treated with skincare alone and will probably need prescription items. Sags, bags and wrinkles are normal and there is nothing to treat. And I have never been recommended a French pharmacy brand or any brand by a derm.

Yes, bladder is full of steam today. Apologies! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Oh god, the twitter conversation with Matt Haig is making me cringe. I do get her point but it’s such an aggressive way of saying it and always ending it with a comment aimed to shut down everyone else while having the last word. Here’s my opinion and now ‘let’s please leave it’. Here’s my opinion and ‘I’m not interested in a spat’.

It’s all a bit ‘here’s what I think in forthright terms but don’t respond as that would be arguing’.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
That column. Dear me. So she's essentially recommending two services which would replace reading a 'beauty' column?

And both 'services' are completely disingenuous. Access to 'dermatologists, doctors and pharmacists' via sending in a photo for £20? We know how that's going to work, don't we... A sales person (no different to a counter sales person - I refuse to call them 'consultants' because it sounds like a medical consultant, ie a senior doctor) looks at your pic and then sends you whatever three+ step regime they need to shift. Anyone with skin that looks like it should be examined on Embarrassing Bodies gets their photo sent a derm who takes a two second look at the picture and then will recommend they go to a doctor.

The other service is only a sales person too. 'well-trained, experienced consultant' - they all look about 12 years old. What are they really going to know about my skin that I don't? Once again, women are encouraged to put their power in the hands of someone else. Are adult women really 'bewildered' by skincare as Sali believes? Because if they are, they probably shouldn't be trusted with responsible things like, ooh, the vote...?

Why does SH never actually recommend a dermatologist? It might cost £100-150, but it's the best money anyone can spend if they have a skin issue. They won't recommend expensive products, if they recommend products at all (in fact they are far more likely to say stop using anything other than a basic cleanser and moisturiser to help your skin). I guess it's because most of the beauty industry's 'skin issues' are actually 'normal aging'. Anything which genuinely needs a derm (rosacea, cystic acne, psoriasis etc) can't be treated with skincare alone and will probably need prescription items. Sags, bags and wrinkles are normal and there is nothing to treat. And I have never been recommended a French pharmacy brand or any brand by a derm.

Yes, bladder is full of steam today. Apologies! 😂
Yes yes yes. That article has annoyed me more as the day goes on. As for getting a gift certificate for a consultation to give someone. Words fail. I really want to know if she, and other testers we know she uses, have used those services for any length of time. It seems to me the equivalent of Dr Google. Who the hell is that column even aimed at? Utterly pointless.

Oh god, the twitter conversation with Matt Haig is making me cringe. I do get her point but it’s such an aggressive way of saying it and always ending it with a comment aimed to shut down everyone else while having the last word. Here’s my opinion and now ‘let’s please leave it’. Here’s my opinion and ‘I’m not interested in a spat’.

It’s all a bit ‘here’s what I think in forthright terms but don’t respond as that would be arguing’.
I can see her point as Matt Haig really is being a dick imo. Stirring up fear when as someone with well documented MH issues he should know better. I actually think if he was not a blue ticker she would be more dismissive. If it was Josephine Bloggs instead she would get stuck in far more.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So true.
I can see her point as Matt Haig really is being a dick imo. Stirring up fear when as someone with well documented MH issues he should know better. I actually think if he was not a blue ticker she would be more dismissive. If it was Josephine Bloggs instead she would get stuck in far more.
So true. I agree that MH is having an anxious moment which has splurted onto twitter, but a better response from SH would be along the lines of, I see your anxiety, and feel it too (as I'm sure do lots of others), but it might help lessen everyone's anxiety if you provide sources when you quote figures like that, which are higher that I've seen quoted everywhere else'.

Rather than 'You're irresponsible. I'm not arguing, so shut up.' Because that is obvs the best way to reassure anyone with anxiety...

I really want to know if she, and other testers we know she uses, have used those services for any length of time.
Of course she has! Years and years and years 😂

Reactions: 4
She wouldn’t dream of using crappy services like that while Dr Frances Prenna Jones and Dr Tapan Patel are flinging her freebies.

Reactions: 5
Like hell she’s used them! She’ll have been given a freebie trial session. And very slack of her to use the term ‘consultant’ to mean two vastly different things in one piece: medical consultant and later, presumably, brand/skincare consultant.
Wow. That's either sleight of hand, or not bothering to read over her copy. Deceptive, or sloppy. Take your pick

Reactions: 3
She wouldn’t dream of using crappy services like that while Dr Frances Prenna Jones and Dr Tapan Patel are flinging her freebies.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't have thought that SH has free treatments from FPJ (or others). Although she has made it known that FPJ is the cosmetic doctor who treats her I haven't seen her review/promote any particular procedure performed by FPJ. Also, I've never seen SH use the infamous #presstreatment label in relation to any cosmetic procedure. I think discount and/or preferential treatment is more likely.

I mention it because I think that mistakenly - but understandably - assuming here that SH receives certain products/services free is the sort of thing she would exaggerate as 'lies' and use to discredit us. Wouldn't want to risk our brand.

Reactions: 1
I was planning on using dramatica once I ran out of my Spanish tret. Would have loved it to exist back when I was mid acne jumping though pointless antibiotic hoops for the GP's kickboxing.
I'm not sure how dermatica do it, but machine learnt medical diagnostics is just as good as 1 dr in person, so I'm cautiously optimistic about it. (Also machine learnt patterns for visible signs of stis on dick pics should be the next thing).

A useful part of thr article would be 'so you have £200 and want to see a private derm - here is how to pick one for your need' (plus the private prescription charges). If you dont have £200 here is a £20 sevice but these are the imitations.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't have thought that SH has free treatments from FPJ (or others). Although she has made it known that FPJ is the cosmetic doctor who treats her I haven't seen her review/promote any particular procedure performed by FPJ. Also, I've never seen SH use the infamous #presstreatment label in relation to any cosmetic procedure. I think discount and/or preferential treatment is more likely.

I mention it because I think that mistakenly - but understandably - assuming here that SH receives certain products/services free is the sort of thing she would exaggerate as 'lies' and use to discredit us. Wouldn't want to risk our brand.
Fair enough and I do see your point, but didn’t she promote both of these people before the regulations on declaring an interest changed?

Reactions: 2
How can a doctor (if it even is) looking at a 2D pic diagnose and treat with the same accuracy as someone examining your skin in person? Seems sketchy

Reactions: 2

'Having the last word' seems to be the hallmark of SH's media and social media persona.

I remember years ago she had written an article for the Guardian (about her first Christmas without her children) which attracted the usual mixed bag of below the line comments - some sympathetic, some a bit argumentative, some missing the point. Doing something I've never seen another writer do, she added a long BTL comment herself answering back, point by point, to the negative comments.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Fair enough and I do see your point, but didn’t she promote both of these people before the regulations on declaring an interest changed?
I've certainly seen her recommend FPJ (e.g. in a Guardian piece about 'anti-aging') and she's made it known (e.g. in her podcast) that she's been treated by her. I've also seen a YouTube video in which she 'interviews' Tapan Patel (for which I'd assume she was paid - possibly in kind).

The one where she disabled comments on her own site for the only time ever (I think) because she knew damn well what people would ask.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.