Sali Hughes #13 The best new products I’ve been using for years

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I suppose it is utterly futile to point out again that free #presssamples are still an #AD under the ASA rules.

I really am boring myself now.
It is really annoying me that she thinks she is above having to disclose her freebies. IT IS PART OF YOUR JOB.

Reactions: 7
It is really annoying me that she thinks she is above having to disclose her freebies. IT IS PART OF YOUR JOB.
Yes! Exactly. The rules clearly state it. She isn't going above and beyond in her duties and doing us all a favour - it is the bare minimum.

Reactions: 6
If she can't work out how to follow the rules, she should stick with #ad if she received payment to make the post, and #freead if she's not being paid and is just showing off a consumer product, regardless of whether she bought it or received it as a sample. Because ultimately it's all advertising.

Also on the primers, Benefit do a good 'polyfilla' style primer, as does Nyx and that one is even cheaper.

Brace yourselves lads - I think her disclosure on the latest IG vid really is much better. She actually called it 'AD info' instead of just 'info' as well as identifying which samples were given to her so fair play for that.
However. I am still confused over the Estée Lauder foundation situation - in the EL specific video it says she is involved in an ongoing campaign for that product, she is wearing it in this latest vid yet states it is not part of that campaign. But surely the word 'campaign' implies not just a one off recommendation? I really am getting confused now myself.

Reactions: 8
Brace yourselves lads - I think her disclosure on the latest IG vid really is much better. She actually called it 'AD info' instead of just 'info' as well as identifying which samples were given to her so fair play for that.
However. I am still confused over the Estée Lauder foundation situation - in the EL specific video it says she is involved in an ongoing campaign for that product, she is wearing it in this latest vid yet states it is not part of that campaign. But surely the word 'campaign' implies not just a one off recommendation? I really am getting confused now myself.
IG flogger in proper labelling shocker 😂 ahhh but not quite, good try Sali B+. Yes, muddy waters with EL, it is ongoing surely if it’s a campaign.

strange, almost like a column in a gaspy, breathy video. Few lux lip products with a ‘high street’ one thrown in at the end for the paupers.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
She ought to thread carefully or she'll become a lip gloss girl. Mixing a lip balm/oil with lipstick, isn't that a, dare I say it (insert dramatic music), lip gloss?

• Haha
I saw yesterday that Zoe Sugg has started tagging anything gifted to her #ad - gifted. She did a story saying she had to because of the ASA guidelines meant that anything gifted to a person with influence still counted as an ad, even if she wasn't obliged to post about it and wasn't paid. Totally the opposite to #gifted, #mostdefinitely100%notanAD that Sali does. I'm not sure what the difference is? Surely gifted things are ads?!

I saw yesterday that Zoe Sugg has started tagging anything gifted to her #ad - gifted. She did a story saying she had to because of the ASA guidelines meant that anything gifted to a person with influence still counted as an ad, even if she wasn't obliged to post about it and wasn't paid. Totally the opposite to #gifted, #mostdefinitely100%notanAD that Sali does. I'm not sure what the difference is? Surely gifted things are ads?!
It really is that simple.

Reactions: 4
The difficulty for the moaners is that in correctly labelling everything as an Ad (or, if they choose to be specific: Ad - paid, Ad - gifted, Ad - press trip, Ad - discount etc) it means firstly admitting to themselves their entire lives online are one giant ad - that they themselves are now the product to be consumed - it’s also laid bare for everyone to see and they can’t kid themselves or anyone it’s anything but the case. Tough times. If they don’t like it they shouldn’t have chosen to commoditise their personalities and their lives.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
The difficulty for the moaners is that in correctly labelling everything as an Ad (or, if they choose to be specific: Ad - paid, Ad - gifted, Ad - press trip, Ad - discount etc) it means firstly admitting to themselves their entire lives online are one giant ad - that they themselves are now the product to be consumed - it’s also laid bare for everyone to see and they can’t kid themselves or anyone it’s anything but the case. Tough times. If they don’t like it they shouldn’t have chosen to commoditise their personalities and their lives.
Exactly. And why might they not like it? Because then their 'hey you stranger, my new bezzie mate! Come join the cool girls!' schtick looks as false as it is.

Oh good for her.
You are entirely right - a gift (or press sample) which the influencer goes on to mention 100% is an AD. 100%. The label for a press sample should should state #AD - press sample.
I hope SH is getting there (albeit v e r y slowly 🐌 ).

People on IG who keep telling Sali how amazing she is for declaring things and blaming trolls for her having to do so (which I'm afraid to see in replies sadly she agrees with sometimes) are missing the point. She is meant to do so, it is part of her job being an influencer. She is not doing anyone a favour. And it doesn't make her amazing because other influencers are actually worse at it. We comment here on it as the threads are about her, other threads about other influencers say exactly the same.
It makes me laugh in comments when she says that a minority of people on a hate site mean she has to be incredibly clear in her labelling - basically saying she only does it sort of properly because of here? Now that really is an indictment.

Just saw Zoella's declaration - I wonder if that and Sali actually trying a *bit* harder means the ASA have been cracking down very recently on woolly, absent and altogether misleading labelling? Seems a bit of a coincidence otherwise :unsure:
They normally have to be dragged kicking and screaming to write the dread word 'AD' pretending it is anything but that.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't keep applying moisturising stuff on your lips unnecessarily, balms etc as counterproductively after a while they lose the ability to regulate themselves and just dry out. Then you need more balms, treatments etc and thus it goes on. This was a while ago I read that so not sure if it is factually correct at all.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Nothing gifted in the latest story but I bet the whistles outfit and the Lowe bag came at a hefty discount. I also recon that lipstick looks a like like a gloss! 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 1
I wonder if she still gets the large Whistles discount? Back in early Get The Look FB days it was 40%.

Reactions: 1
Over on the FOD 🥗🥗 forum the lovely posters there have reported him to the ASA whenever he’s failed to correctly #ad (which is always). Just leaving that here for #inspo

Reactions: 5
Caroline Hirons still doesn't tag gifts properly: "Press samples. Not an ad just a PSA."

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.