Sali Hughes #12 This is not a thread. It is not paid for, not sponsored, nor required by Sali

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me too and I am definitely getting myself to John Lewis at some point for a try šŸ¤£

foundation is my weakness though...just bloody love it
Iā€™m not as clever as a lot of you but I really enjoy reading your posts!
I did wonder a while back if it was the new EL foundation (think launched in the States first). Iā€™ve got a face as dry as a house brick and I want it too šŸ˜‚
A long time ago Sali said EL intense nude was a good nude-ish lippy. She wasnā€™t wrong, I bought it (yeah, influenced) but she was dead right. Still wear it.
How amazing and lucky GLT old timer to have triplets šŸ˜Š

Reactions: 3
What is the saddle metaphor?

- I dont follow Caroline Flack but is there strong reference to the media impact as the reason? It's not unheard of for people with credible allegations for abuse against them often to implode when faced with the legal ramifications. Who is to say that if she had the same allegations against her in a parallel world where she wasnt famous that there wouldn't be the same (sad) outcome?

She didnt take her own life after a newspaper article, she took it after information from the CPS came through.
This speculation - which is all that it can possibly be - is in really bad taste.

Reactions: 2
This speculation - which is all that it can possibly be - is in really bad taste.
No more so than people who began commenting about media. It's bad taste that a common argument elsewhere is that depressed people shouldn't be held to the legal account for their abuse.

Hey, letā€™s not go off topic. I know the original comment was related to the perception that Sali had somehow managed to turn some of the commentary around the effect of media on the tragic death of CF to amplify her own issues around tattle but we should keep it at that.

Reactions: 5
I am a sucker for foundation too...

I posted a little while ago that the reason why thereā€™s so many around and so many new ones coming out all the time is because itā€™s the most lucrative product to produce and sell, ie has the biggest profit margin. (KJH said in one of her vids).

Knowing that helps me take a bit of step back when I feel ā€˜influencedā€™ to buy a new one. I wish more influencers would tell us that kind of thing.. itā€™s nothing bad, just a fact... but also actual industry information that would genuinely help us make informed decisions, especially the more vulnerable amongst us.

The fact they donā€™t confirms the double-bind of the influencer/follower relationship. Itā€™s nowhere near as straightforward as ā€œif I really like it, I recommend it to my followersā€, no matter what weā€™re told. And yeah we get you have a mortgage to pay but at what cost? Not to the influencer when itā€™s sales of foundation propping it all up.

Reactions: 6
Phew, caught up with the thread. I was giving my eyes and brain a break from the whole Pip Schofield debacle.

Anyway, I used to like the Guardian column but more for under the article comments. There were lots of great hints and tips from people who'd invested their own time, money and energy into products out there. Which is the opposite to the crap Sali spews these days.

And that's nothing to do with her mealy mouthed contempt for this place and 'dissidents'. How she's trying to play into Caroline Flack's story is just further proof that she can't see from the self-declared pedestal she's on.

I meant what was said by Sali Hughes in her book about a celebrity make up artist?
The below quote is from Pretty Honest.

"I booked a top celebrity make-up artist for my wedding and I honestly rue the day I picked up the phone. She was brilliant, unflappable, talented and kind, but that is not the point. She didn't know me. She applied soft pink gloss when my rose bouquet and visible lining of my dress was lipstick red, my signature colour. She expertly blended warm, earthy brown eyeshadow over my lids, not knowing that I would still be looking at them 13 years later and thinking how they jarred against a cool-silver vintage silk dress. My brows were nude, not sculpted as I like them. I looked fresh faced when I am all about the good base. My small eyes looked smaller. I basically had a perfect face of makeup that I'd never have allowed on anyone else'.

Personally I think that is rude as the celeb makeup artist has no doubt read that. Why wouldn't you say something or give a hint as to what you would like? When she says the MUA was 'talented' she obviously is saying the opposite - who wants their eyes to look smaller?

• Wow
Reactions: 10
The below quote is from Pretty Honest.

"I booked a top celebrity make-up artist for my wedding and I honestly rue the day I picked up the phone. She was brilliant, unflappable, talented and kind, but that is not the point. She didn't know me. She applied soft pink gloss when my rose bouquet and visible lining of my dress was lipstick red, my signature colour. She expertly blended warm, earthy brown eyeshadow over my lids, not knowing that I would still be looking at them 13 years later and thinking how they jarred against a cool-silver vintage silk dress. My brows were nude, not sculpted as I like them. I looked fresh faced when I am all about the good base. My small eyes looked smaller. I basically had a perfect face of makeup that I'd never have allowed on anyone else'.

Personally I think that is rude as the celeb makeup artist has no doubt read that. Why wouldn't you say something or give a hint as to what you would like? When she says the MUA was 'talented' she obviously is saying the opposite - who wants their eyes to look smaller?
Iā€™ve never been married so I may be wrong, but donā€™t you have trial hair and make up? Or at least TALK to your make up artist before you went ahead?
It sounds like there was no discussion whatsoever beforehand?

Reactions: 12
Why didn't she do her own damn makeup then?
Ah (and I really should go to bed) I have an answer. From Pretty Honest.
(Re women booking professional MUA for their big day).

"Women, in growing numbers, are booking a professional makeup artist for their big day and it can be a very wise investment. But, for reasons that remain unclear to me (perhaps in some misguided attempt at avoiding a busman's holiday), I booked a top celebrity make up artist......(seguing into the quote above)'.

I know in the present climate quoting her own book and commenting on it will be seen as hostile and trolling but hey ho.
I too am baffled. My daughter got married a couple of years ago and the MUA met her before for a consultation and it was an entirely collaborative venture. My daughter would 100% have spoken up (politely) if she didn't like what was happening. And she is not a beauty journalist.
Iā€™ve never been married so I may be wrong, but donā€™t you have trial hair and make up? Or at least TALK to your make up artist before you went ahead?
It sounds like there was no discussion whatsoever beforehand?
Yes! Exactly. So the MUA was in the dark really.

Again at the risk of being a horrible troll why couldn't SH have just said something vague about wedding makeup instead of specifics that could be recognised by someone?

Reactions: 2
Yes, it reads like payback. Also, if the makeup was so cleary heading in the wrong direction, why on earth didn't she say something? I would have. Did they not agree on a look beforehand?

She probably looked great. LE doesn't do bad makeup especially for someone's wedding. Blow it out your ass Sali.

Reactions: 1
"years later and thinking how they jarred against a cool-silver vintage silk dress"

This line just reeks of grandiose from our Sali.
The wedding took place long before the days of SM so how was Lisa to know she was partial to a red lip unless Sali told her and I'm quite sure she would have. My guess is she wasn't partial at all at the time, she went with the current Rose trend at the time and now regrets it!
She also forgot to wear her big gold hoops given she's a massive Nina Cherry fanšŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

This from the book

ā€œGlossy magazines, although I adore them more than most, and their often excellent beauty editors, simply cannot be wholly honest with you about beauty. They are at the mercy of major beauty advertisers, relying on them to keep them in business.ā€

By that logic....?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Lipstick red: An enigmatic ā€œsignature shadeā€ kept in the deep dark confines of Saliā€™s mind which the ā€œtop celebrity makeup artistā€ is meant to instinctively just KNOW.

I donā€™t like that sheā€™s given away enough to spark intrigue about who the artist is without naming them. As if thatā€™s some sort of kindness? Itā€™s worse IMO. Itā€™s only going to be short list of names. And if you really thought they were so talented, kind, brilliant etc and it was just a matter of misunderstanding and miscommunication from both sides why not name them? Itā€™s yet another anecdote that doesnā€™t quite ring true.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
This from the book

ā€œGlossy magazines, although I adore them more than most, and their often excellent beauty editors, simply cannot be wholly honest with you about beauty. They are at the mercy of major beauty advertisers, relying on them to keep them in business.ā€

By that logic....?
hmmmmm, i love the smell of irony in the morning

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.