Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Curio

Chatty Member
What I love best about this thread is it’s long running heritage. It’s cheering how an old classic can maintain relevancy in today’s fickle world and not be thrown out like yesterday’s pungent chip paper.

• Haha
Reactions: 32

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
If I was DOP I’d be seething - SH has commented on her very touching & obviously devastated IG posts. How dare she?! She absolutely trolled DOP with her gang of cronies for MONTHS. Does she lack the brains to see she is part of the toxic online culture she is bleating about now? Ugh. What a horrible hypocrite.
Oh for fucks sake you are shitting me? SH had the absolute nerve to comment on Dawn's posts?
That could be so triggering for Dawn to see her name popping up at this incredibly sensitive time.
Said it before and I'll say it again - gaslighting. Trivialising and altering a shameful bullying past.

Just looked a Dawn's IG and someone has commented 'the absolute nerve of Sali Hughes commenting on the feed of a woman she bullied for years'. 😲

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 28

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Nice try Sali.

How much of a psycho would you have to be to think it’s ok to interact with someone you previously routinely bullied day in day out as a bit of sport to the point it affected their mental health, career, income, relationships etc. What a cunt.

Sorry if anyone’s offended by that word but in a way I think this tweet is worse than the years of bullying. It’s insidious.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

Raindropsonkittens

Chatty Member
Ethically & morally there is, in my mind, a significant difference between Sali with her power, platform, reach & influence bitching & trolling on Twitter/Insta and our comments on here. Whether it is Owen Jones, Esther Walker, Dawn O’P, Lauren Luke...the impact personally & professionally of a ‘Blue Ticker’ going after you is much greater. If Sali is upset by a few harsh but true/fair & piss-taking threads on here, she either needs to get out of the public eye or take on board the feedback, acknowledge where she’s got it wrong & change. And then it would stop. It is no coincidence that Lisa Eldridge, Caroline Barnes & other beauty content providers don’t get the same grief - it’s because they appear to behave with integrity & act/speak consistently. They also don’t use their private lives as fodder. I’m afraid it is a case of chickens coming home to roost, and though it may hurt Sali’s feelings, she holds the remedy in her hands.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Curio

Chatty Member
The trouble so far is it always just been a weak dilute of declaration.

Seriously though - by ‘over declare’ if they mean snottily pointing out everything they have paid for, down to a sandwich, then I think the point is being missed somewhat.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
I can't tell whether she's being disingenuous or is just - to use one of her favourite terms - thick??
Thick gets my vote.

A film critic has nothing to do with the advertising campaign of a film. Film critics don't get flown out to a spa weekend to see the film and receive a themed goodybag of film merchandise, they just get a single free ticket. Film studios do free screenings for non-film critics (ie the public) to try and start word of mouth buzz - beauty brands don't randomly give out large numbers of full size products to nobodies who won't advertise it on social media. Film critics don't pretend to be your friend. Films contribute to the cultural discourse, face cream does not. Film critics are valued for their erudition and critical discernment in assessing the film on its own merits and as part of the artistic bodies of work of the director and actors. Toiletries and cosmetics are not an art form, they are consumer products.

So yeah, lots of differences between the two.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
The ASA have ‘clarified’ their ad declaration requirements. It’s like it’s been done specifically to convey how slippery influencers like SH have been behaving. She will be raging 😂

Can’t wait to read her updated disclaimer... it will be Sali word salad at its finest.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

GTL Old-Timer

VIP Member
@RayRayJay

How do people deal with white headed spots? I thankfully don't get them often anymore (retinol has made a massive difference) but have had a couple of crackers recently. I cannot leave them alone and not pop them. I just can't, I've got no control over it but wondered if I could arm myself better to do it. Any tips?
I would highly recommend a steam, then exfoliating with a flannel, followed by clay mask on spot, then a drop of salicylic acid, then a night cream massaged in thoroughly. Then a hydrocolloid patch. K Beauty brands do them but you can get them cheaply on amazon. Leave it on overnight. It will absorb all the oil and hopefully much of the gunk from your spots. They also help with healing.

I had some moles removed last year and used those patches instead of a regular plaster. It kept the areas moist (don’t let scabs form as you’re more likely to scar) and helped to heal the open wounds so much faster. My dermatologist was amazed. You’d think she would know about that, right?! *scratches head*

Sorry for delayed response, by the way. Have been dealing with premature birth of triplets! 😬 They arrived day after election. I blame Corbyn. He gets so much shit, why not blame him for that too! 😝

I am slowly catching up with threads so will hopefully get to interact with you all soon xx

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
I used to be a frequent magazine buyer and remember the disenfranchised feeling that there was an awful lot of ad-get in the editorial pages.
This. I did work experience on a magazine in the beauty team, and essentially it was the easiest job in the world. You get sent a load of press releases and free products, and then in matey language (the instruction I was given was 'write as if you're chatting to your mates'), you write how life changing product X was, based on rehashing the press release. You didn't do more than dip your finger in this crap or give it a sniff, and that was it. There is no way it could be called journalism. It's like comparing someone who works in Mcdonalds, where there are detailed instructions on doing everything the McWay, with a chef whose job is to create the recipes from scratch.

The advertisers did two things to try and get you to pick their product - they paid for the majority of the ads so they essentially bankrolled the entire magazine, and they laid on the most lavish press junkets, so you'd feel obligated to mention their cream because you'd got a free meal, treatment, weekend break etc.

What was different was that salaries were paid by the magazine, so there was at least the appearance of journalistic independence (although not really - that scene 'where are the advertisers?' in the Devil Wears Prada was spot on).

Now 'beauty journalists' are paid directly by the brands to write about the product. They might be paid in freebies, or gifts, or cash, but the brands pay their mortgage. That's why it's all an ad. Every single mention.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

slugella

VIP Member
The absolute hypocrisy of Hughes moralising about the effects upon mental health of Internet bullying as the news breaks that Caroline Flack has taken her own life. Hughes was one of the chief mood setters of the bullying ring that targeted Dawn O'Porter. She disgusts me.View attachment 84575
Gosh I would love to call her out on this but my Twitter is a work account and can't really post things non work related. I even considered starting a new one but if I tweeted her on that would just be dismissed as a troll due to new account/low followers.

What PLANET IS SHE ON. Honestly. I think trolling is awful. And I think some comments on this site go a bit far for my tastes. But I've never seen anything like that on her threads. As we have said many times, it is made up of people who used to like her, support her, buy her books and recommendations.

Does she know the meaning of the word bullied? It's an absolute insult to the people that do actually experience it.

The nerve of even insinuating that she can somehow relate to Caroline. What Caroline has been through in the press recently is on a completely different scale.

I am actually outraged. What has happened to this woman who I used to actually admire?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
If I moan about someone who irritates me, out of their earshot, that is me moaning. Maybe I have a point, maybe not, but as the old saying goes, people who listen at doors never hear good about themselves. It's not bullying, it's not trolling. What people think of you is none of your business.

However, someone who hears me moaning and rushes back to tell the target of my irritation all about what I've said is a shit stirrer - that's the person who is a false friend. That's the troll. In SH's case, that's her dogwalker.

The way SH tells it, tattle was only set up to talk about her.

Raindropsonkittens

Chatty Member
And there is a massive difference between critical posts on a discrete & contained platform like Tattle and hounding & shaming someone on a completely open platform like Twitter. If anything SH was provided the megaphone that drew people here in the first place - I’d never heard of it before Freaky Friday.

And not to mention Lauren Luke as well. Two women whose careers she undermined & whose mental health suffered as a result. And now she’s making it about HER. Again.

Last edited:
  • Sick

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
I thought taking an interest in beauty was nothing to be ashamed of :unsure:
According to Sali, it is totally empowering, particularly if you spend all your money on stuff she gets for free.
In fact, rehashing press releases and incorporating your 'honest' professional opinion is obviously investigative journalism. How can anyone not see this? (example: "This [product] is really lovely, particularly for all skin types. It feels really nice on, you can apply make-up on top, and it feels really luxurious to use. And the packaging is recyclable, apart from the pump, cap, label, security seal, mini spatula and plastic film sealing the box. A spendy treat!!! For you. Obvs I got it free #gifted").

• Haha

melfish

VIP Member
I only came here when SH mentioned this place in her histrionic video. I'd never heard of it. Then I started reading the thread from the beginning and saw all the screenshots of Sali and her gang being awful about Dawn O'Porter, then the stuff about her campaign to get Lauren Luke fired so she could take over the Guardian column, then the Coren stuff and Giles' video ... So for her to take the high ground now, and make this tragedy all about herself, not to mention daring to post on DoP's IG at a time like this ... ugh, hypocrisy and whitewashing

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Raindropsonkittens

Chatty Member
If I was DOP I’d be seething - SH has commented on her very touching & obviously devastated IG posts. How dare she?! She absolutely trolled DOP with her gang of cronies for MONTHS. Does she lack the brains to see she is part of the toxic online culture she is bleating about now? Ugh. What a horrible hypocrite.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 21