Sali Hughes #10 Hiya! Am I in the wrong place? I came here to seethe about Sali.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t understand why SH went on the record for that Glamour article but then spoke of someone else’s experience and not her own. Almost as if her own experience with Estée Laundry/being held accountable was totally reasonable and fair 🧐

She makes a valid point that the people who appear on the internet have feelings and families.

Does she usually choose to pile on to people without feelings or families then? That implies some forethought yet the content of her tweets implies the opposite (ie someone has had plastic surgery she doesn’t like or whatever or someone is so extremely annoying they should go and sit inside a dustbin: these are not the insightful/illuminating comments of a meditator)
'“It’s easy for online users to forget that they’re talking about real people, with families and feelings,” Sali continues.' I was struck by that too. Is she just unself-aware - or do only certain people, families and feelings matter?

I was also struck by her adopting as her own - without crediting the source - Barack Obama's recent point about call-out culture.

Reactions: 3
When his behaviour started taking a bit of a turn, most of the ‘industry’ totally turned their back on him. He had done wrong, but it was so clear that he was unwell to anyone who had the faintest idea of the whole situation. I remember all the ‘big names’ in beauty broadly avoiding any mention of his products. I remember in particular a vlog with maybe AMR and Nadine Baggott; where one of them said to the other that it was ok to talk about The Ordinary’s products again, as L’Oreal had pulled the rug out from under Brandon and therefore it could be mentioned, and actually wasn’t a particular product made by The Ordinary great? Yeah, it was great even when Brandon’s mental health resulted in his problematic behaviour.
What I also find curious is that none of them, apologies if I'm wrong, had a problem with new companies literally copying what he did with The Ordinary, but there's a whole issue when there's a cheaper "dupe" of a much more expensive product?

Does she usually choose to pile on to people without feelings or families then? That implies some forethought yet the content of her tweets implies the opposite (ie someone has had plastic surgery she doesn’t like or whatever or someone is so extremely annoying they should go and sit inside a dustbin: these are not the insightful/illuminating comments of a meditator)
do only certain people, families and feelings matter?
Yes, her people and family, the rest were Twitter cannon fodder, which is fine, just don't expect anything less when you're on the receiving end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
What I also find curious is that none of them, apologies if I'm wrong, had a problem with new companies literally copying what he did with The Ordinary, but there's a whole issue when there's a cheaper "dupe" of a much more expensive product?
This is a really good point I hadn’t thought about at all. The Ordinary is the accessible line created by Deciem, and is a really good introduction to the brand and ‘sciencey’ skin care as a whole (oh, you can’t tell I’m not a journalist), and therefore is surely deserving of as high a praise as Jo Malone doing a line for Zara, this creating accessible high-end style fragrance? I guess paying for favour from the high and mighty of the beauty influencer world was something Brandon didn’t do, though. Which might also explain why nobody even spoke of him when he was in trouble, but everyone still simply adores Charlotte Tilbury despite the bullying allegations.

or is that just because we are all women supporting women? Insert side eye emoji here.

Reactions: 5
Also, re Brandon from Deciem, he was celebrated when he first introduced the Ordinary, later when his mental health was declining his posts were almost broadcasted like it's a car chase on CNN, I remember reading about it on some beauty site, I can't recall which, the whole situation was tragic and this is what I wanted to write also:
Which might also explain why nobody even spoke of him when he was in trouble, but everyone still simply adores Charlotte Tilbury despite the bullying allegations.
I imagine his situation was a specific one, but it was obvious that he wasn't well and how can one even address it as an influencer without it being intrusive or I don't know what, I'm not their management team. The CT allegations are worthless because they are made by (mostly) women who can be easily replaced and don't mean tit to anyone. It's really easy to be sympathetic toward some imaginary person on the other side of the world (which you should), but that distance gives you the way out, i.e. you can't do anything about it. In this specific case, she (all of them) would lose money and connections by doing the right thing, even by acknowledging that some accusations were made, but that she can't comment on anonymous internet posts as a journo and all. Think of the horror of the inconvenience of doing that! Much better to put it on a sweater (rhyme not intentional).

Reactions: 4
tit. Someone's just recommended a film to SH on Twitter that she's already seen

• Haha
Reactions: 9
So, today's column is about glitter make-up. "The modern sparkle is easy."
While they're all cruelty free, none of them are environmentally friendly/biodegradable.

Reactions: 1
tit. Someone's just recommended a film to SH on Twitter that she's already seen
IKR. Why can’t she just say something like.... oh I love that film. Instead it’s all snippy ‘I’ve seen them all...’ course you have love, you probably had a directors credit.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
So, today's column is about glitter make-up. "The modern sparkle is easy."
While they're all cruelty free, none of them are environmentally friendly/biodegradable.
Ah, FFS. She thinks she’s covering her back by saying to use a wipe-off cleanser so the glitter ends up in the bin, not down the drain, but she’s obviously never heard of rubbish dumps which get rained on. God, it makes me so angry.

Funny her recommending a Glossier product out of the blue, and all.

Reactions: 2
Glitter should be banned. It's just as harmful as microbeads, and more pointless

Reactions: 5
She’s become so very predictable , I knew glitter would be around at some point in December.

I will never understand slavishly following runway looks, especially hair and makeup

“It seems we will still be sparkling come summer, so buy quality, now, and stick with it: it’s less wasteful.”

So the previously recommended Primark glitter palette is now out of favour? So hard to keep up.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
And I am not averse to ‘favourites’ changing. I rolled my eyes as hard as anyone when those boring folk turned up in the comments whining “three years ago you recommended THIS fake tan, now it’s like it doesn’t exist and we should buy THAT one.. I smell a conspiracy theory”. :rolleyes:
What I don’t get is the lack of continuity. And not necessarily in the column, I mean just generally, addressed anywhere. Is it a way to get all the kudos for one day recommending an £2 glitter option - so affordable! so democratising! so understanding not everyone gets the best of the best sent to them for free! so admirable of our columnist to brave Primark on our behalf! - and the next getting the kudos for “investing” in “quality”, thereby somehow eschewing fast fashion?

Reactions: 4
My Perfume Parlour loot just arrived - Byredo Super Cedar and Diptyque 34 Boulevard St Germain - both utterly gorgeous and I would not have been able to afford either in a million years :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh duck. After the film thing last night, now this. Why do people keep trying to say anything to Sal when she obviously knows all about everything already,
thanks very much.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.