Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

hol20x

VIP Member
They mightve done at points, they had some energetic dances to keep up with! I loved the whole thing though. Very positive vibes, the tribute to Paul was lovely, good song choices. I am 33 though so very nostalgic for me 😆
I'm 29 and going for the nostalgia! Did they sing Hannah's name in S Club Party?

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Yel

Chatty Member
Not sure if this has already been posted but I am shocked at how exploited the kids in s club 7 were (and I say kids because they started when the youngest was 16!) Simon fuller was the person signed to the label for example and so made way more cash than any of the actual band members. RIP Paul, he comes across very well in this interview and I’m sad he looked back on that time with what seems like a real ambivalence https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/10/s-club-7-paul-cattermole-interview
They were effectively employees on £150k a year in the later stages of their career. Which is a fortune now and was way way more back then. They were payed off another 100k when it ended.

They didn't make the bulk of the money yes, but they were plucked from obscurity and it wasn't their money that was invested in the gamble of the project.

While I'm not saying I agree with it all, in terms of manufactured bands they did have a reasonably good deal.

I think they must have known what they were signing up for and thought it was worth the risk. Although I can see in hindsight after it was a success and they made other people a lot more money than they got it must be frustrating. They each will have earned enough out of it to buy a decent house outright in their early 20s, so not too shabby.

laurynlouuuu

VIP Member
this reunion seems solely to cash in on the nostalgia of it all. sadly i don’t think some of them can afford for the tour to not go ahead.

Basic

VIP Member
I didn't pay any attention to S-Club but a while ago I saw an interview on Loose Women I think, with Paul, and it was so hard to watch. He didn't make much money from the band, didn't do much after and they bought him a shirt for the show because he couldn't afford one. Imagine the humiliation of having the hosts tell the viewers! I thought at the time it was in very poor taste. It was sad but he seemed a bit pathetic. It's exactly what you never want to see from any decent person who has had a significant amount of fame. You hope that people have been well compensated for putting up with being tabloid fodder or at least have their wits about them to be capable of following a different career path. Unfortunately so many are uneducated and chewed up and spat out.

• Sad

Usernamecba

What a way to finish a UK tour, eh...

I was there last night and yeah it was an absolute shit show! There was no emergency lighting, had to try and get out in complete darkness & staff were blocking fire exits so we couldn't use them!
On top of that, I had seats on the second row.. I got there and someone was in my seat & wouldn't move, said security were just telling them to sit anywhere! Don't think I'll be going back to Liverpool for a gig anytime soon!

• Wow

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
I think they could just about get away with continuing without Paul but now Hannah isn’t joining them it’s a bit more tricky. It’s all about money and nothing more. It must be the biggest payday any of them will have had for a while so they won’t want to give it up.

Pinkii

VIP Member
I sadly think it was either OD or suicide

either one is very sad if it is true

still so shocked and i hope he is at peace

erahme

It's just sad. As on the face of it he had this big work thing coming up, which would have set him up financially and then potentially opened doors to other things. Just highlights you never know what someone is going through privately despite what is shown publicly.

• Sad

coconochanel

VIP Member
I suppose it’s hard isnt it, some genuinely don’t want to do a job. But for those who do, it would be a gamble. I can’t see anyone from a pop band working on checkout for example, it would be carnage. The only thing I could ever see would be say an office job, but there would always be some idiot there wanting to know why you have a job, making cracks about not needing the money. We all know the types, the ‘banter kings’. You’d need a really strong manager to deal with it all.
Yes but not many people would have guessed who he was if he'd took a job in Tesco for example. I sure wouldn't have!

S4buk

VIP Member
I think the problem in part is their main unique selling point was there were 7 of them, the dynamic now 3 girls and 2 boys is in an essence Steps but arguably without a back catalogue that they have plus Steps released new music to coincide with a tour. Yes they do a lot of their greatest hits but there is still new songs in there, a little something different.
I hope it works out for them but the loss of Paul plus the clear issues with Hannah aren’t helping matters.
As you said, Steps have a nice mix of their old stuff and new stuff which makes a nice balance - and their new stuff is great.

I will never forget how cringe their first comeback CIN performance was. Absolutely not chemistry and looked like they hated every second.

Reactions: 11

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
Oh wow, I'm in floods watching that. I wonder if she's already been told the cause of death? You can see her kind of shake her head after she says "He was so excited for the tour," as if she's shaking her head in disbelief that this happened when he had seemed happy.
Problem is many people who have decided to 'bow out' seem carefree for that precise reason

Reactions: 11