Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I found this!

No wonder I was confused! This will probably not be published, by the looks of it, but would be interesting to see if she ever does. (And as a testament to her great storytelling, I remember once reading an insta caption and choking on some water. I don't remember what story it was (maybe the chicken one?), but remember that I showed it to my parents, and they both actually laughed out loud.)

(Also sorry for being overly rave-y about Ruth, lol, but she is one of the few influencers I can actually stomach. Although she sometimes manages to provoke an eye roll, I do actually really, really like her.)

Reactions: 10

Xena693

I don’t think Ruth is as gormless as she likes to pretend. She had so many expensive items in that house gifted to her and I think it’s extremely dishonest to have your house painted, decorated, carpeted and furnished with freebies and then sell it all for a profit.

She’s no better than any of the other InstaHuns who get everything handed to them for free. In fact, she’s worse because she’s actually profiting from handouts. There’s something so morally wrong about a wealthy person being gifted freebies when so many can hardly afford to put a roof over their heads. Shameless

Wifo1976

VIP Member
I think her figure is enviably fine, bearing in mind she’s had 2 children, she looks great. I am probably what you call ‘skinny fat’ and I go to the gym regularly, rarely drink alcohol and eat well, but unfortunately, we can’t all be blessed with media friendly bodies. However I do agree that the Triumph underwear is grim .

Pinkpen

Have been meaning to try the Colab dry shampoo but heard bad reviews. Saw it in boots clearance the other day so got a couple, 14p each!! 😂

• Wow
  • Haha

LyraBalaqua

VIP Member
Brintons is the carpet! The butterfly one is called Timorous Beasties and it’s beautiful. I saw it in a cottage we stayed at in the Lakes a few years ago and it’s been on my wish list ever since. The Ruth (as much as I like her) gets it gifted 🙄
It’s so very jarring that already very well off people get cheaper or even free items just for photography and mentioning the company on sm.

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
I haven’t watched her for ages, she just does the same video over and over again. I used to love her vlogs but beauty videos are a yawn fest.
i used to as well, until the rule changes came in and i realised she was basically just a walking billboard for whatever so why should i trust her recommendations? Also her constantly complaining about said rules was even more off putting

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Why would the target market pay £3.99 when they can go to Mumsnet for free

Noticed a post on her site about her son's potty training and how potty training her daughter was a breeze in comparison. Crazy

Another thought. Imagine being wealthy with a successful celebrity photographer husband and a modelling career, earning money on affiliate links, never having to buy beauty products and being sent clothes & household things as well as lucrative sponsored deals and deciding that's not enough. Trying to cash in on the digital era by creating a chargeable and mostly redundant app & using your children's private moments and photos as content. The greed of influencers is staggering and knows no bounds. Capitalism at its worst

Last edited:
  • Wow

BridgetJones

I've never understood that about her. She takes on far too much with the remodeling. Now there's the new house and a seaside cottage. Her houses never look quite like a home, or comfortable.
This!

while she lived in that huge victorian mansion I was always waiting when they will finally finish the house and show all the rooms, but it never happend. Even I as a viewer felt stressful about this endless unfinished home, so how can they feel comfortable in there?

for example the living room, it never seemed to be finish and so „cold“, if anyone know what I mean?

Wobblehead

VIP Member
I followed Ruth for about 6 or 7 years, becoming really quite bored by her blog after her kids came along. I don't have children and I'm not interested in them. I kept reading her blog out of habit, finally ditching it after the Sali Hughes rant a few weeks ago when I had an epiphany and realised I don't need these strangers telling me what THEY think I should buy, wear, think .... In all those years of reading her blog I had NO idea she wasn't paying at Josh Wood and just how much stuff she was getting for free. It makes me feel duped and that makes me feel angry. I'm disappointed too as I wonder how/why it was so easy to have the wool pulled over my eyes. I had also started to feel really quite disturbed by how much information Ruth shares about her children, it doesn't feel right to me having their faces plastered all over the Internet for god knows who to see. Personally I think there should be laws about exposing children like this.
Completely agree. funny how her husband doesn’t want to be pictured on the show fest but it is alright for his children to be on there. I feel sorry for them as when they are older all their friends will be able to read about them and their potty training etc This is a massive issue which in the next few years as all the babies of mummy bloggers get older is going to go off like a ticking time bomb. Quite rightly too

Whiskers

Btw I think Ruth said they said they saw the house and planned to move pre-lockdown, so I don’t think it’s to do with finances.

I know this isn’t a rave thread but I do really like Ruth. Also it’s nice to see someone on YouTube/Insta with their own taste in interiors, not just recreating Instagram trends. But I do find her content a bit more boring now and I rarely watch or read anything these days.

• Heart

LyraBalaqua

VIP Member

This was their house before the Somerset move , I love it.

• Wow

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
Maybe that’s why Ruth isn’t so bothered about leaving, she knows she can pop back in and see Barry?
I could never have sold that place to someone I know. I couldn't go back and visit knowing it wasn't mine anymore. Aware Ruth must feel differently, of course! Ruth's first house wasn't my style, so the new place probably isn't either, but I love that Georgian beauty!

• Heart

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
Interesting that Ruth said there was a big demand for that type of house during lockdown and it was a good time to sell - but then she sold it to Caroline in what I think was a private sale? Don't think the house was ever listed on property sites etc was it? You'd think if demand was high and it was a good time to sell, then she'd want to encourage multiple bids to get the best price possible. Maybe Caroline made her an offer she couldn't refuse. She did say she only saw herself staying in that house for another 5 years anyway, as the location wasn't ideal, which makes you wonder why she bought it in the first place!

• Wow

libelle80

Maybe Barry bought gleam and “the Georgian pile” is the new headquarters with awesome backdrops for all the influencing?
i wouldn’t mind Barry having a YouTube channel where he discusses philosophy 🤩 it would be miles better than Anna’s (theannaedit) half assed book reviews

• Haha

GossipMongoose

VIP Member
Bought it to flip and make money.
Though it was in beautiful condition really and recently done by the previous owners. That lean to bit out the back was the only area that needed attention. It wasn’t a doer upper. They sold their Essex house and spent time living in their friends’ vacant period house in Somerset, Bath area, I think, whilst they decided what to buy next. That’s how they ended up in that area. I think they liked the period feel of their friends’ house and thought they’d buy a big ‘forever home’ type place with with a similar feel. When they were in her friend’s house she said she was surprised how much she liked the features (I think the house was early Victorian) but when push comes to shove, they just really love mid-century design. Big old houses, even renovated ones, have their quirks (cold, draughty, noisy windows, often a bit leaky) and you have to really LOVE them to put up with the idiosyncrasies. They didn’t. It was clear in how they furnished the house that the period features were a hindrance to their style. Their heart is with MCM not Regency architecture and design. Plus, the other house is on the outskirts of a village, near a big concrete quarry, this new one is in a much better position, so that helps too.

Reactions: 9

GossipMongoose

VIP Member
They splash the cash but have dreadful taste, I remember the entirely brown first renovation 🤢
They have some amazing individual pieces, they buy beautiful quality mid century & 1970’s furniture and lighting by incredible makers but somehow the final ‘look’ just doesn’t work. Like you say, it just looks drab and brown 😕

FWIW, mid century isn’t my thing at all but I can appreciate the beauty and finish of a well made item from any era.

Reactions: 9