Running Instagrammers #5 “we go again”

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn’t agree less with this. When my children were very young they were absolute nightmares, they screamed all day, didn’t sleep, and one even vomited regularly (pretty much every hour). I was on the verge of a breakdown caring for them 24/7. I would call my husband at work and just sob down the phone at him. Never mind being a better mum, I wouldn’t have been able to be a mum at all if I hadn’t been able to have the occasional break where I could focus on myself.

There are many good reasons to criticise Anna but having a day off from her child isn’t one of them.
Huge agree here with this too. If I didn't run, and spend time away from the little ones, I'd be an absolutely horrific mother. Probably would have murdered each other by now. Fathers never get grief for spending a tiny proportion (an hour or whatever) of their days away from their kids, why should mothers. Got to say I'd also say I send mine to nursery with a mild cold too. Ok so maybe not so much since pandemic times, but "cold" could mean anything from runny nose - which lets face it all babies and toddlers have 95% of the time anyway, little grubs - to actually ill. Sure, wouldn't send iin the latter case but the former.. if you kept your kid off nursery with every sniff, they'd never go.

I think what's weirder with her is that she seems unaware that sleep 'issues' she desribes are just normal baby sleepign patterns surely?

Reactions: 3
I couldn’t agree less with this. When my children were very young they were absolute nightmares, they screamed all day, didn’t sleep, and one even vomited regularly (pretty much every hour). I was on the verge of a breakdown caring for them 24/7. I would call my husband at work and just sob down the phone at him. Never mind being a better mum, I wouldn’t have been able to be a mum at all if I hadn’t been able to have the occasional break where I could focus on myself.

There are many good reasons to criticise Anna but having a day off from her child isn’t one of them.
Yep have to agree with you here too! I’d probably do the same tbh 🤷‍♀️ And please no sleep training debates on this thread too - I’ve just about had it with Louise Thompson’s thread talking about leaving her child to cry!

Reactions: 3
Thing is, everyone here's situations do sound really hard, and it's absolutely understandable that a day off would be needed in those cases, but...

Anna has multiple days off. Her child has been at nursery or with his grandparents more than he has her. She can't even hack a week of him being at home with her without making a huge drama of it. Her whole life is 'me' days, she never does anything for anyone else, and she gets out for runs whenever she wants. She has so many breaks from him and still complains. I just don't think her situation is analogous to the majority of parents. She just makes out like it is because she's a total drama queen. Fundementally selfish narcissists shouldn't have children in the first place. She doesn't have the personality to cope with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So glad I found this thread! I’ve followed Anna for some time now and often wondered if she might have some form of ASD with her obsession with running/exercise/food, and her meltdowns when her exercise routine is disrupted by anything. It’s like she only managed 20 minutes of strength training yesterday and ate takeaway last night, so she needed to run the “7.5 miles” this morning…couldn’t wait for the buggy commute this afternoon. Maybe something came up and she wouldn’t have been able to run it later, or perhaps the guilt overwhelmed her. I hope she gets help soon as it doesn’t sound like a nice place to be in, especially now it seems her routine is constantly being disrupted due to her baby’s normal behaviour.

So glad I found this thread! I’ve followed Anna for some time now and often wondered if she might have some form of ASD with her obsession with running/exercise/food, and her meltdowns when her exercise routine is disrupted by anything. It’s like she only managed 20 minutes of strength training yesterday and ate takeaway last night, so she needed to run the “7.5 miles” this morning…couldn’t wait for the buggy commute this afternoon. Maybe something came up and she wouldn’t have been able to run it later, or perhaps the guilt overwhelmed her. I hope she gets help soon as it doesn’t sound like a nice place to be in, especially now it seems her routine is constantly being disrupted due to her baby’s normal behaviour.
Meant to write some form of ED, not ASD!! 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Thing is, everyone here's situations do sound really hard, and it's absolutely understandable that a day off would be needed in those cases, but...

Anna has multiple days off. Her child has been at nursery or with his grandparents more than he has her. She can't even hack a week of him being at home with her without making a huge drama of it. Her whole life is 'me' days, she never does anything for anyone else, and she gets out for runs whenever she wants. She has so many breaks from him and still complains. I just don't think her situation is analogous to the majority of parents. She just makes out like it is because she's a total drama queen. Fundementally selfish narcissists shouldn't have children in the first place. She doesn't have the personality to cope with it.
I worded what I said really badly so I apologise.
Of course all mums need a break and thats OK. My children go to grandparents too.
I just see alot of Instagram mums who seem to say it all day every day 😕

Reactions: 2
I worded what I said really badly so I apologise.
Of course all mums need a break and thats OK. My children go to grandparents too.
I just see alot of Instagram mums who seem to say it all day every day 😕
No, I think you had a valid point.

Everyone's situation is different, and I think sometimes people don't process that the criticism of some of these Instagram priviliged whiners doesn't apply to them. There's more nuance than that, but parenting is such a touchy and sensitive issue that blinders can come down very easily. Having a break is very, very different than your entire life being a bloody holiday and then demanding a break!

I mean, what are all those marathons and other races Anna does if not me time/time to be herself? I think she just hates the buggy runs because they slow her down, and like the other poster said above she couldn't wait to burn off extra calories from the day before so she had to run 1.5 miles extra.

I mean, what are all those marathons and other races Anna does if not me time/time to be herself? I think she just hates the buggy runs because they slow her down, and like the other poster said above she couldn't wait to burn off extra calories from the day before so she had to run 1.5 miles extra.
This 🙌 she really is so privileged with all that me-time. One day every weekend she gets at least 2 hours running on her own done, without fail, and she’s managed to do what 3 marathons? since her baby was born. So much time away from her baby already.

“Taking a break from kids, sanity and reality” is my 🧵 title idea.

Seems to encapsulate quite a few of them.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.