Running Instagrammers #13 Strava doesn’t lie, my watch really did die!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
of course.... 🙄 Her banging on about parkrun really annoys me. She did something like 140 runs and volunteered 7 times... Made a massive fuss over volunteering when she was recovering from London... Newsflash: volunteering once in a blue moon for the gram doesn't make you a hero.

Also I find Alex M and Emilys Journal so confusingly similar 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Surely Alex M can put cold water therapy on her LinkedIn now? You know someone is resilient if they choose to sit in zero degree water for 3 minutes. Hire them right away!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Surely Alex M can put cold water therapy on her LinkedIn now? You know someone is resilient if they choose to sit in zero degree water for 3 minutes. Hire them right away!
She may want to listen to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001s5hc

Bottom line: it makes sense if you are an athlete during the Olympics and you have to recover quickly before the next competition. For anyone else you actually want the inflammation response to encourage muscle repair and growth. So reducing inflammation with cold water therapy is arguably counterproductive. Disclaimer: haven’t reviewed any research on this but it makes sense when someone puts it like that….

Reactions: 8

Bottom line: it makes sense if you are an athlete during the Olympics and you have to recover quickly before the next competition. For anyone else you actually want the inflammation response to encourage muscle repair and growth. So reducing inflammation with cold water therapy is arguably counterproductive. Disclaimer: haven’t reviewed any research on this but it makes sense when someone puts it like that….
Oh. :(

I like having a cold shower after the run, and my calves feel a lot better after cooling them.
Now I find out it’s actually counterproductive. :(

I have always queried doctors and physios when they have recommended RICE, coming from a medical science background icing injuries didn't make sense. I'm glad to see that the science is being followed.

Reactions: 2
Helen Gaunt came third in Birmingham yesterday, ran in the tiniest pants again. Not bad, considering she ran London a couple of weeks ago.

of course.... 🙄 Her banging on about parkrun really annoys me. She did something like 140 runs and volunteered 7 times... Made a massive fuss over volunteering when she was recovering from London... Newsflash: volunteering once in a blue moon for the gram doesn't make you a hero.

Also I find Alex M and Emilys Journal so confusingly similar 😂
Not seen an Alex chin up at the gym yet 😂😂😂 I remember when Emily did Ironman Uk she came 2nd in her AG and winner said she wasn’t going to accept Kona slot then changed her mind overnight 🙄
---
Helen Gaunt came third in Birmingham yesterday, ran in the tiniest pants again. Not bad, considering she ran London a couple of weeks ago.
Her pants in London were crazy !

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Is Phily Bowden sponsored by On now?
She’s probably getting dished out by her mates? Although I did see a clip of her whilst away going to one of their stores and had two big bags of bits but could’ve been freebies to collect

Reactions: 1
She’s probably getting dished out by her mates? Although I did see a clip of her whilst away going to one of their stores and had two big bags of bits but could’ve been freebies to collect
I wondered if maybe she is still under contract with NB and can't announce an On deal until the NB contract has expired (although if I am brutally honest, I struggle to see what On would be getting out of that deal that they couldn't get from any other 2.29 - 2.3X British female marathoner - I guess social media presence is a powerful thing).

Pleased to see that someone commented on the ad making the point I made above and told Alex M to do her research 😂

• Haha
I wondered if maybe she is still under contract with NB and can't announce an On deal until the NB contract has expired (although if I am brutally honest, I struggle to see what On would be getting out of that deal that they couldn't get from any other 2.29 - 2.3X British female marathoner - I guess social media presence is a powerful thing).
I think the NB is over, she sold a lot of stuff and now wears Nike to race...

Glad to see someone has finally called out trackclubbabe on the postpartum thing. Postpartum lasts 6 weeks or so. She's just a woman who had a baby now like. Which is fine, describe the challenges you face as a result of that, but it's not postpartum!
Nah, I really disagree with you on this. I'm 14 months post partum and I'm still a good 2 or so minutes slower than my pre-baby time. Couldn't run during pregnancy much and took a while to get back into it because of pain and just not having time to do so. If she's breast feeding still then her body is still in a very different state than someone who's not had a baby yet. I suspect it'll take me a good couple of years to get back to the speed I was at before babyWC, that's if we don't have another. It's all post-partum.

Plus having a baby creates a huge divide in your life, from pre-baby to post baby. None of us really know what her home life and work/run/baby balance is like, having a husband who is very supportive of running absolutely helps getting back to it post birth.

Reactions: 14
Nah, I really disagree with you on this. I'm 14 months post partum and I'm still a good 2 or so minutes slower than my pre-baby time. Couldn't run during pregnancy much and took a while to get back into it because of pain and just not having time to do so. If she's breast feeding still then her body is still in a very different state than someone who's not had a baby yet. I suspect it'll take me a good couple of years to get back to the speed I was at before babyWC, that's if we don't have another. It's all post-partum.

Plus having a baby creates a huge divide in your life, from pre-baby to post baby. None of us really know what her home life and work/run/baby balance is like, having a husband who is very supportive of running absolutely helps getting back to it post birth.
I agree with this, i have friends who’ve suffered horrific injuries giving birth, or have struggled horrendously with PND. I think it’s absolutely fine to wipe the slate after a baby

Reactions: 8

My body will be always "postpartum", it will never go back to its previous state. Some people can, but some of us no. And that's life

Anna’s husband was in A&E last night following an insect bite, put on antibiotics etc. yet she is out running 7 miles this morning and making a post moaning about how much she has on her mind about how baby number 2 will change her life.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Glad to see someone has finally called out trackclubbabe on the postpartum thing. Postpartum lasts 6 weeks or so. She's just a woman who had a baby now like. Which is fine, describe the challenges you face as a result of that, but it's not postpartum!
My issue with trackclubbabe isn't with her measuring her pre-baby to post-baby times, as I think most women who are runners who go on to have a baby do that. My issue is that she continually bangs on about being in a different 'season' of her life etc etc and saying she has nothing to hide about her times - at the same time as wheeling out loads of reasons why her times are slower. If you're not arsed about it you wouldn't be constantly telling people you're breastfeeding and working hard and not training etc etc, you would just be running and enjoying it. So you actually are arsed about your times being slower if you're listing the reasons why. Which is also fine to say if it is something that you're not happy about.
I'm slower now that I was two years ago and I find it annoying. What's the harm in admitting that? None at all.

You misunderstand me. I am not saying there aren't ongoing reasons for her running to have changed as a result of having a baby. But post partum is a medical word which relates to the actual act of birth and the immediate time after. Which 2.5 years on is not the basis for her struggles.

Those of you with younger kids - I ran my fastest times when my were about 8 - way faster than before kids when I had all the time in the world and was in my 20s! So it is possible to get it back eventually - doesn’t mean everyone will, but it’s not impossible. Now they’re teens and I’m 47 I’ve slowed down again though to the same speed I was in my 20s 😭 late 30s was my prime!

Reactions: 10
Those of you with younger kids - I ran my fastest times when my were about 8 - way faster than before kids when I had all the time in the world and was in my 20s! So it is possible to get it back eventually - doesn’t mean everyone will, but it’s not impossible. Now they’re teens and I’m 47 I’ve slowed down again though to the same speed I was in my 20s 😭 late 30s was my prime!
Dammit, my kids aren't that age yet and I'm already in my 40s. I'm dooooomed 🤣

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.