Running Instagrammers #13 Strava doesn’t lie, my watch really did die!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd love to go to Tokyo but not to run a marathon! I do like Berlin as a city but again would probably rather just go for a visit than to run there, it's probably the only one I'd consider though as for the US ones I don't fancy a transatlantic flight and jet lag just to do a marathon. It's still very expensive though, I looked at the ballot last year then didn't bother when I saw the entry fee knowing I needed to add flights and hotels on top of that. I don't travel much anyway and any of those cities I'd rather just go to visit and for the experience than to run there. I'm not particularly interested in visiting Boston generally though the friends who have been said it was a brilliant city to visit. I'd rather spend that money on somewhere I have a real desire to visit though instead of just to say I've run Boston marathon which only really means something to other runners anyway so it's box ticking in the community.

Social media makes this and general doing LOADS of races worse, I also find it at my running club where some people seem to be at a different event every week. Fine if that's what you want to spend your money on but it quickly adds up, when I first joined I got talked into so many events and felt I had to keep up with everyone and their collection of race t-shirts and showing off for "medal Monday". I've really backed off now, I mostly do smaller local events and then maybe one or two bigger races that cost a little more per year and that's fine, doesn't make me less of a runner.

Reactions: 9
In a similar vein there is someone I follow who does a lot of running on a treadmill which I swear they either just leave running with no one on or it’s calibrated wrong. Their treadmill tempo 10k is about 45 minutes, their outside 10k races are about 1hr10/1hr15. Nothing wrong with a 70 minute 10k but why pretend you can do it in 45?
Treadmills are a bit tit at calibrating distance and/or speed I think. I did an easy mile last night after a heavy 45 minute weightlifting class and it said I ran it in 10:05 - I haven't run below a 10:30 mile since before I had my baby last year and it certainly wasn't all out pace.

Reactions: 1
When I do treadmill I go completely to effort and not pace as I reckon most of them are completely out but if one says I’ve run a 16 minute 5k while jogging or run a 2k in 40 minutes where I’ve nearly vomited I just ignore! This person claims those are her times

Reactions: 2
Bahahaha Daz has a story about the Alex M LinkedIn post 🤭
Oh my god! Ran to insta to see it!! What the duck is all that about? All I have taken from that is she has trained for a marathon and hates kids! THE worst self advertisement ever! Yes she has said how she can train for a marathon in tit weather but she hasn't said how that translates in to her being useful for anything else. To be fair, all she did was do what she was told by "coach" robot fashion and still missed her target 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I still don't understand how Alex and her partner afford all the holidays and the massive wedding on her teaching salary and his analyst one. I reckon she wants to get a remote social media job and move home to Ireland, so when she has kids free childcare on tap.

Reactions: 3
Who is Daz???

Oh my god! Ran to insta to see it!! What the duck is all that about? All I have taken from that is she has trained for a marathon and hates kids! THE worst self advertisement ever! Yes she has said how she can train for a marathon in tit weather but she hasn't said how that translates in to her being useful for anything else. To be fair, all she did was do what she was told by "coach" robot fashion and still missed her target 🤭

• Wow
Does anyone follow trainwith_anna? I’ve never heard of her before but she has just come up on London marathon vlogs and I’ve watched the first 3 minutes of it before sacking it off. She went for a sub 3:40 but stopped her watch at 26.2 miles even though she hadn’t finished with a time of 3:39:08 I think the photo of her watch said. She said that she’s run a marathon distance so that’s her time and life is too short to be bothered about chip time and how it’s only for elites because they have a clear path to the blue line and no crowds to dodge. WTF is she for real? Her official time was more than 3 minutes longer but she’s presenting herself to her YouTube follows and her thousands of (probably paid for) followers that she’s a sub 3:40 marathoner. So dumb 🤦🏽‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 15
^ I saw Courtney Black did this too - claimed a sub 4 on her stories when chip time was over (although looked again just now and her post does now say 4:02)

Dammit. I only save about .2 of a mile & 90 seconds by going Strava declared marathon time vs actual tracked. I should’ve sandbagged myself more and weaved so I could claim I knew best and that chop times were bullshit

• Haha
The people who are also adamant they ran like… 28 miles during London drive me mad too… you didn’t it was your GPS….

Reactions: 4
Does anyone follow trainwith_anna? I’ve never heard of her before but she has just come up on London marathon vlogs and I’ve watched the first 3 minutes of it before sacking it off. She went for a sub 3:40 but stopped her watch at 26.2 miles even though she hadn’t finished with a time of 3:39:08 I think the photo of her watch said. She said that she’s run a marathon distance so that’s her time and life is too short to be bothered about chip time and how it’s only for elites because they have a clear path to the blue line and no crowds to dodge. WTF is she for real? Her official time was more than 3 minutes longer but she’s presenting herself to her YouTube follows and her thousands of (probably paid for) followers that she’s a sub 3:40 marathoner. So dumb 🤦🏽‍♀️
I looked at her Strava, she had a surprisingly quick couple of Kms going through Canary Wharf so her GPS was probably off (as is everyone's) giving her a couple of shorter Kms hence the quicker time on her watch 🙄

Yeah I've noticed this with trainwith_anna before. She claimed a 1:46 half marathon PB when her chip time was over 1:50. Claimed her Garmin measures distance accurately so she will always stop the watch when she's reached the distance.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.