Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes it does help!! Doing everything I possibly can. Form hot-cold to massage to sauna and pool and compression socks and 🫠 used to struggle with plantar fasciitis to it band so i will manage 😬😅😅😅

I suffered with PF for years. Just back to running but stretching every day🤞

Reactions: 2
I’ve had plantar? hip flexor problems, IT band problems, hip issues (all within the last year). all of which have gone away after stretching and hopefully won’t come back 😄

• Heart
Can anyone recommend or give any advice about a 10k training plan?

My husband is twisting my arm to enter my first race, and I’m considering it but I have been a bit injury prone in the past! I run every alternate day and on the non-run days I do strength training, which I don’t want to give up as I find the progression aspect of it really enjoyable. So I think ideally the plan would be 3 runs, 3 strength sessions, and possibly 1 rest day?

I’ve looked at a plan on Strava, husband uses NRC but are there any others I should look into?

My husband is twisting my arm to enter my first race, and I’m considering it but I have been a bit injury prone in the past! I run every alternate day and on the non-run days I do strength training, which I don’t want to give up as I find the progression aspect of it really enjoyable. So I think ideally the plan would be 3 runs, 3 strength sessions, and possibly 1 rest day?

I’ve looked at a plan on Strava, husband uses NRC but are there any others I should look into?
TBH for 10k if you're already fit and running I'd just increase mileage by 10% each week and try to get up to 6.5 miles (so you can manage if the race distance turns out a little longer) comfortably a month or so before the race; then slowly ease off a little (but maintain running over 4 miles in the weeks leading up to the race). I rarely do anything specific for under half marathon distance.

You could consider dropping one strength session for another run and/or rest day depending on how you feel that week.

Buttttt I don't run for times really, so I don't push training schedules.

Reactions: 1
If you can manage 5k already then 10k doesn't really need anymore training, just pace yourself at a slightly lower speed. I entered a 10k and managed fine. I was very slow but managed to run the entire 10k and could've kept going.

Reactions: 3

How far do you usually run? I used to do two short runs and one long run a week. One of the short runs would usually be either speed intervals or hill intervals. My long runs were usually between 7-14k depending on how I was feeling.
I run walk run though the majority of the time - find I’m just as fast as running it straight but not nearly as tired.

I've been using runna. I’m really enjoying it. There are many plans and you can tailor according to how many runs you can fit in per week. R

Thanks everyone for the responses 🙏🏻
If you can manage 5k already then 10k doesn't really need anymore training, just pace yourself at a slightly lower speed. I entered a 10k and managed fine. I was very slow but managed to run the entire 10k and could've kept going.
Based on previous injuries I’m very not keen on upping my distance by double with no gradual increase! My physio has advised no more than 10-20% per week hence looking for a plan. C25K worked really well for me in that regard.

TBH for 10k if you're already fit and running I'd just increase mileage by 10% each week and try to get up to 6.5 miles (so you can manage if the race distance turns out a little longer) comfortably a month or so before the race; then slowly ease off a little (but maintain running over 4 miles in the weeks leading up to the race). I rarely do anything specific for under half marathon distance.

You could consider dropping one strength session for another run and/or rest day depending on how you feel that week.

Buttttt I don't run for times really, so I don't push training schedules.
Thank you! I’m defo going to have to get used to rest days I think 😊 I don’t really have a time in mind so that could work for me.

How far do you usually run? I used to do two short runs and one long run a week. One of the short runs would usually be either speed intervals or hill intervals. My long runs were usually between 7-14k depending on how I was feeling.
I run walk run though the majority of the time - find I’m just as fast as running it straight but not nearly as tired.
Ahh the run walk thing is really interesting, thank you! It’s much easier on my heart rate when I’ve done that in the past.
I average between 16-20k total per week. Daily 5ks or 2 x 4ks if I’m commuting to work. I definitely need some variety in there though, don’t really do speed or hill workouts at the moment (although I live in a very hilly city!)

I've been using runna. I’m really enjoying it. There are many plans and you can tailor according to how many runs you can fit in per week. R
Ooh I forgot about runna, thank you! I have seen how you can customise it and I think that would probably work really well for me.

Ahh the run walk thing is really interesting, thank you! It’s much easier on my heart rate when I’ve done that in the past.
I average between 16-20k total per week. Daily 5ks or 2 x 4ks if I’m commuting to work. I definitely need some variety in there though, don’t really do speed or hill workouts at the moment (although I live in a very hilly city!)
I used Jeff Galloway's plans through my Garmin for 5k and 10k run walk training. I found them really good and he has them detailed on his website. You can straight run if you prefer, I just find rwr works better for me personally. I like 30/30 run/walk intervals but sometimes do 60/60 depending on the distance and how I'm feeling.

• Heart
I’ve had plantar? hip flexor problems, IT band problems, hip issues (all within the last year). all of which have gone away after stretching and hopefully won’t come back 😄
I suffer with hip flexor and IT band probs. Ended up having my IT band relased and bleeping hell it was painful!! Still very inconsistent with stretching 🙄

I've joined a new running club. It's great to finally find a club that do runs in the day.