Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got Manchester in April as my first full and let me tell you the FEAR is real but I think the excitement is just that wee bit more. Weirdly excited for it to get difficult - which my serial marathoner godmother said would happen but I didn’t really get it until this week when I started training proper and not just half assing runs!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve got Manchester in April as my first full and let me tell you the FEAR is real but I think the excitement is just that wee bit more. Weirdly excited for it to get difficult - which my serial marathoner godmother said would happen but I didn’t really get it until this week when I started training proper and not just half assing runs!
First marathon is there to just get round and have fun. Enjoy!

Reactions: 1
Just wondering has anyone any advice about trainers? I’m not sure what I need, I only run on the treadmill - not brave enough for outside yet. I run 4/5 times a week. Recently I have had problems with ankle pain in my left foot - self diagnosed tendonitis. Have a support but mainly running through it. A few weeks later developed a sore knee in the other leg which caused swelling. Found the stairs very difficult etc. Bought a knee support. I think I land harder on my right leg - the one with the knee issue. Ultimately I think it’s a footwear problem. Can anyone recommend a trainer?!

Just wondering has anyone any advice about trainers? I’m not sure what I need, I only run on the treadmill - not brave enough for outside yet. I run 4/5 times a week. Recently I have had problems with ankle pain in my left foot - self diagnosed tendonitis. Have a support but mainly running through it. A few weeks later developed a sore knee in the other leg which caused swelling. Found the stairs very difficult etc. Bought a knee support. I think I land harder on my right leg - the one with the knee issue. Ultimately I think it’s a footwear problem. Can anyone recommend a trainer?!
Get your injury checked out first and when that’s sorted out, go to a running shop and ask them about gait analysis. It’s usually free if you buy a pair of trainers from them.

Reactions: 7
Get your injury checked out first and when that’s sorted out, go to a running shop and ask them about gait analysis. It’s usually free if you buy a pair of trainers from them.
second this, and stop running immediately. You're compensating for the pain and causing other issues. Eventually you'll have hip problems to add to the other ailments.

Reactions: 5
It might not be your footwear, can you speak to a physio? I had similar knee pain to what you described, struggling to walk down stairs etc. I stopped running for ages and eventually went to physio who diagnosed a tight hip and lower back. The stretches and exercises have helped me immensely, would really recommend getting checked out and not running with supports (I did the same) because you might not get to the bottom of the issue. I regret not going sooner as it was such a simple fix and I was so happy to resolve the pain.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
4-5 days of running with no strength training will cause injuries. It is a bit of a worry that it is getting worse and developing from the original problem.

Just coming on here for a bit of a moan. I properly injured myself last year (hamstring and MCL) and have only just got back into it. Yesterday, it was so lovely I wasn’t concentrating and going too fast and went really flying. I broke (needing surgery) my finger a few years ago running so I think I subconsciously fell oddly and on my side.

Everything is so sore. My ribs hurt when I breathe, one side is swollen. I can barely walk up my stairs and my hand is so grazed and bloody. Nothing’s broken but I’m so cross.

Moan over.!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Sorry to write again but I need advice. Knees are fine, limped for a feed days but ok.

My ribs are so sore. It still hurts to breathe in properly and I’ve tried to run and spin and I had to abandon both after a few minutes. I feel really rotten too. The other times I’ve fallen, I’ve hurt fingers (🤪) and legs, never landed like this. I’m stressing out hugely that I can’t exercise. How long will it be like this? I don’t want to take ibuprofen because I feel that might tempt me to do stuff I shouldn’t.

Again, sorry to moan, I just need advice, completely in the dark here.

Sorry to write again but I need advice. Knees are fine, limped for a feed days but ok.

My ribs are so sore. It still hurts to breathe in properly and I’ve tried to run and spin and I had to abandon both after a few minutes. I feel really rotten too. The other times I’ve fallen, I’ve hurt fingers (🤪) and legs, never landed like this. I’m stressing out hugely that I can’t exercise. How long will it be like this? I don’t want to take ibuprofen because I feel that might tempt me to do stuff I shouldn’t.

Maybe you need to get checked out? Although if it's broken ribs I don't know if you can do anything anyway. I think carrying on exercising will just prolong your recovery, as frustrating as it is now.

Maybe you need to get checked out? Although if it's broken ribs I don't know if you can do anything anyway. I think carrying on exercising will just prolong your recovery, as frustrating as it is now.
Thank you. I know I should rest, it’s just hard.

You really need to go get checked out. You can't do anything for cracked ribs but ibuprofen in known to slow down fracture healing so you could end up making things worse if you don't know what you're dealing with.

• Heart
Thank you all- I went to see someone last night. Nothing broken just bruised.

No running or lifting for a bit (which is pain). Hopefully it will be beautiful weather when I am back out.

🤣🤣🌷🌻

• Heart
I've broken my ribs before. It was just rest and wait. But I had to keep moving else I'd get a bit stiff and very sore.

I couldn't run for about 4 weeks.

How was everyone's weekend of running?

I raced a half yesterday, and got a pb by 4 minutes! So very chuffed with that 😁

But two strange body things I wanted to see if anyone else has had...

First off, I've raced 4 halves before & I've never had this before despite wearing the same shorts each time - my belly button is so chafed, absolutely red raw and bloody. 😂 I think I must've accidentally had a bit of the shorts drawstring, er, inside my belly button the whole time and just not realised?! So that's a new thing to check before the marathon

And otherwise, in the last 5k of a fast half I always get a whole body tingly sensation. It's not a bad sensation, but it's very distinct and quite strong. I was looking it up last night and seems it be related to having relatively low blood pressure / not being able to get as much oxygen as you'd ideally have? So that's interesting, because I have always had really low blood pressure. Maybe I need to be careful I don't push myself to fainting point - but then again, I've never fainted in my life, even after giving blood and the like.

Anyway, essay over 😅

First off, I've raced 4 halves before & I've never had this before despite wearing the same shorts each time - my belly button is so chafed, absolutely red raw and bloody. 😂 I think I must've accidentally had a bit of the shorts drawstring, er, inside my belly button the whole time and just not realised?! So that's a new thing to check before the marathon
Yep, I've had chafing in this area before because of shorts. I don't know if bodyglide would help alleviate it if the drawstring moves from where you put it?