Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I recently joined a club and as a result have signed myself up to do some cross country this autumn. I’m very much a tarmac runner and so I’m not sure how best to prepare for this. I’m not bothered about where I place or any of that- but I don’t want to fall flat on my face or anything! I got myself some second hand spikes and have just done a mile in them around some local fields and it was tough to run in them as they didn’t feel very supportive. Are they necessary?
Any tips please!
it honestly depends on how muddy the course is. The muddier it is, the longer the spike you’ll need. You can get away with trail shoes on some courses. I am the same as you though, I’m useless at XC but happy to give it a go!

I may be doing XC for the first time this Autumn too! Not planning on investing in spikes unless I have to as I will need to buy new trail shoes anyway.
My son does XC and only wears the spikes for events not training as the spikes aren't comfy, as you've already discovered! Also for some of the early season events where it's dry he just wears trail shoes. It does help to know what the courses are like, some of ours are based in parks so generally not to bad, others are much wilder. Your club can probably give you a steer.

I'm hoping to do a couple of XC this winter too. Depends on whether I can reliably run a sub 35 minute 5k or not though! I've done two with the club before, one was quite fun but I was injured so had to walk home and the other was absolutely disgusting, it was basically out, around a football field, down a steep incline then zigzag around a scrubby steep hill for 6k.

I've got spikes but they chew my heels up something rotten and once or twice I got my foot stuck in the long grass on the second course which is horrible. My peregrines unfortunately bit the dust about a month before I got pregnant so I haven't replaced them. Not sure what I'll do in that regard.

I had a busy end of July with work and then switched jobs in August so have a long commute. I haven't run in 2 months. And I just can't even find any motivation to start again. I think working too much meant I could never be consistent (and ADHD means I really struggle with habit formation) so I got really disheartened by lack of progress.
I have a london landmarks half place next year and I don't think I will be in any shape to do it. Also hotel prices have put me off, don't really want to spend lots of money for a race that I won't do well in/enjoy. I think I got carried away with the idea of being able to do a big marathon or half but in reality I hate the thought of being watched, especially when I feel like a crap runner.

Sorry for the rant, not sure the point of it except to just get it out.

Anyone doing Copenhagen marathon next may? Signed up for it. Dunno if I should get a booking for a hotel or something already or how big the demand is. 🥲

Also just did two marathons with three weeks in between, now I have crazy it band issues.

Anyone doing Copenhagen marathon next may? Signed up for it. Dunno if I should get a booking for a hotel or something already or how big the demand is. 🥲

Also just did two marathons with three weeks in between, now I have crazy it band issues.
Its probably worth getting something booked, as I imagine they will fill up. Lots of hotels will let you book and cancel 24 hours/1week before with no deposit (either if you book direct or via something like booking.com). At least then you can ensure you've got somewhere to stay and hopefully before the price goes up due to the demand

Reactions: 1
Its probably worth getting something booked, as I imagine they will fill up. Lots of hotels will let you book and cancel 24 hours/1week before with no deposit (either if you book direct or via something like booking.com). At least then you can ensure you've got somewhere to stay and hopefully before the price goes up due to the demand
Oh ok thats a good idea. I didnt even remember you can cancel on booking! Ill get on with it then.

XC runners - how are you getting on? My first event is looming and I still haven't ordered new trail shoes. I'm nowhere near as fit as I'd like, will def be the last lady home for the club (there are only 4 or 5 us running, 3 are experienced and FAST!).
I have been running as many hills as I can, turns out I quite like running up a grassy incline. Though just slowly with a little breather at the top! So, really nervous about race day and thinking about not doing as I'm scared. Shittest reason ever...

I had a busy end of July with work and then switched jobs in August so have a long commute. I haven't run in 2 months. And I just can't even find any motivation to start again. I think working too much meant I could never be consistent (and ADHD means I really struggle with habit formation) so I got really disheartened by lack of progress.
I have a london landmarks half place next year and I don't think I will be in any shape to do it. Also hotel prices have put me off, don't really want to spend lots of money for a race that I won't do well in/enjoy. I think I got carried away with the idea of being able to do a big marathon or half but in reality I hate the thought of being watched, especially when I feel like a crap runner.

Sorry for the rant, not sure the point of it except to just get it out.
There’s still a lot of time until the race next year. Why don’t you give it more time and see how you get on?

It’s such a busy race that you will be part of the crowd and I really don’t think anyone will be watching you individually. There will be runners of all skills too.

Reactions: 5
XC runners - how are you getting on? My first event is looming and I still haven't ordered new trail shoes. I'm nowhere near as fit as I'd like, will def be the last lady home for the club (there are only 4 or 5 us running, 3 are experienced and FAST!).
I have been running as many hills as I can, turns out I quite like running up a grassy incline. Though just slowly with a little breather at the top! So, really nervous about race day and thinking about not doing as I'm scared. Shittest reason ever...
I'm not planning to run our clubs first two races (end of October, end of November) as I'm nowhere near fit enough but aiming for the late January and late February ones (also it might just be that the first two are the hilliest, most awful courses whereas the second two are much nicer :D). I haven't got a pair of trail shoes and I need new road shoes really :/

I was last lady home for the club both times when I last ran it, the first time because I was injured and stupidly still went ahead and had to walk from 2.5 miles all the way home (the men started as I was walking up the last hill, which was very embarrassing) and the second time because it was just such a horrible course - basically just zig zagging up an incline, running down the side of it and repeatedly 3 times. I'm not a hill person XD

It's great fitness though, it's good fun and if you're part of a small team then it doesn't matter where you come as you need a minimum number to score points right!

Ooh I forgot I wrote in here: I must not have it saved.
I have my first cross country event in a couple of weeks. I’m wondering why I’ve signed up to it, I’m very much a road runner, don’t know what to expect and also don’t have anything other than my usual trainers. So I shall be one of the most under prepared there! I’m hoping there’s going to be a few of us like me and that I’m not on my own!

You and me both @Wannabrunner39 I run trails sometimes but as in take it steady, stop for a breather take a photo. I've told the club my aim is basically just not to be last.
I only entered as it looked a very mixed bag when I've spectated before but now I'm actually entered feel anxious.
I'm sure we'll be ok, just enjoy the experience?!

Debating doing a 4 team marathon relay with my OH and inlaws on the early May bank holiday. Each leg is a quarter marathon and we're all fiercely competitive. My OH and BIL could comfortably run under 55 minutes - probably closer to 50 minutes - for their legs and my SIL would probably come in under an hour but not much under it. Pre-baby I ran our local 1/4 marathon a couple of times and came in just under and just over an hour. ATM though I'm still struggling with finding my pace again post partum and my quickest most recent run is a 36 minute parkrun, most runs are still hovering around 11:30 - 12:15 minute mile average pace.

Chances of me getting back to around 9 minute mile pace to come in under an hour in 5 months? :/

FWIW, looking at the results from last years, even if we all took just over an hour to come home we'd be in the top 35 of 85 teams, ha.

Debating doing a 4 team marathon relay with my OH and inlaws on the early May bank holiday. Each leg is a quarter marathon and we're all fiercely competitive. My OH and BIL could comfortably run under 55 minutes - probably closer to 50 minutes - for their legs and my SIL would probably come in under an hour but not much under it. Pre-baby I ran our local 1/4 marathon a couple of times and came in just under and just over an hour. ATM though I'm still struggling with finding my pace again post partum and my quickest most recent run is a 36 minute parkrun, most runs are still hovering around 11:30 - 12:15 minute mile average pace.

Chances of me getting back to around 9 minute mile pace to come in under an hour in 5 months? :/

FWIW, looking at the results from last years, even if we all took just over an hour to come home we'd be in the top 35 of 85 teams, ha.
You could absolutely do it if you can commit to running regularly over the next few months. Only had to be 3 times a week. Sounds fun either way!

Reactions: 2
Anyone else getting back running? Haven’t run since last September due to work/laziness 😬😅 I’ve signed up for a half in March to hopefully get my arse moving & have done a quick run tonight which was ok 👍🏻 Find it hard to run consistently & the dark nights don’t help!

Anyone else getting back running? Haven’t run since last September due to work/laziness 😬😅 I’ve signed up for a half in March to hopefully get my arse moving & have done a quick run tonight which was ok 👍🏻 Find it hard to run consistently & the dark nights don’t help!
Exciting, best of luck for the training! What kinda plan d'you think you'll follow?

I'm training for an April road marathon atm but have also found a love for trail running, so currently doing all my long runs on trails 😅 Need to convince myself to do at least some of my longest ones on roads so that I can test out my road shoes over 32kms... but the views just aren't as good! Think this means I need to sign up for mostly trail races when I'm in a mood like this

Also, thought you can all laugh at my mistake - yesterday I made up my first taster of a gel you hydrate up into a gel from a tub of bulk powder. When putting the lid back on the tub half-asleep & one-handed, I tipped the whole thing all over my floor 🤦‍♀️ Need to re-purchase now... At least I didn't get too many servings at first cause I wasn't sure I'd like it

I never stopped, but I had got lazy with short, easy routes. RED Jan here, am not enjoying it!

Exciting, best of luck for the training! What kinda plan d'you think you'll follow?

I'm training for an April road marathon atm but have also found a love for trail running, so currently doing all my long runs on trails 😅 Need to convince myself to do at least some of my longest ones on roads so that I can test out my road shoes over 32kms... but the views just aren't as good! Think this means I need to sign up for mostly trail races when I'm in a mood like this

Also, thought you can all laugh at my mistake - yesterday I made up my first taster of a gel you hydrate up into a gel from a tub of bulk powder. When putting the lid back on the tub half-asleep & one-handed, I tipped the whole thing all over my floor 🤦‍♀️ Need to re-purchase now... At least I didn't get too many servings at first cause I wasn't sure I'd like it

Im just going to follow a beginners plan. I have run a few Half marathons but not for a few years so just want to get myself round 😁

I haven’t done any trail running but live in Wales so definitely have plenty of places I could go.

Good luck with your Marathon! Is it your first?

• Heart
Im just going to follow a beginners plan. I have run a few Half marathons but not for a few years so just want to get myself round 😁

I haven’t done any trail running but live in Wales so definitely have plenty of places I could go.

Good luck with your Marathon! Is it your first?
Sounds great, good luck with it! Jealous of all your trail running opportunities 🤩 I'm in the city so don't have any proper hills near me, unfortunately.

Yep, first marathon! So my main aim is to enjoy the training and not get injured 😂

• Heart
Sounds great, good luck with it! Jealous of all your trail running opportunities 🤩 I'm in the city so don't have any proper hills near me, unfortunately.

Yep, first marathon! So my main aim is to enjoy the training and not get injured 😂
Exciting! Keep us updated with your training 😃

• Heart