Ruby Granger #7 Fake Smiles and Facsimiles

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking at Ruby's content compared to someone like Vee, I genuinely think that Ruby's brand of studytube is dying out. People want honesty and real life (or at least something that resembles real life) instead of stuff that just makes them feel bad about themselves. People want vloggers who think beyond the narrow world of studying and grades, who genuinely have something interesting to say. Ruby is still stuck in that childlike persona and she is producing the same content over and over.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Looking at Ruby's content compared to someone like Vee, I genuinely think that Ruby's brand of studytube is dying out. People want honesty and real life (or at least something that resembles real life) instead of stuff that just makes them feel bad about themselves. People want vloggers who think beyond the narrow world of studying and grades, who genuinely have something interesting to say. Ruby is still stuck in that childlike persona and she is producing the same content over and over.
I wonder if she is trying to branch out - she posted the slow living video recently and asked people to comment whether they wanted to see more of that type of thing. Seems like she is award the brand is dying out and she needs to diversify.

Ruby seems quite emotionally stunted to me, and I wonder if there's some underlying trauma that she hasn't processed that makes her embrace the kind of lifestyle she has (living with her parents despite having bought a cottage because at her parents she doesn't have to do any 'real' grown up stuff - if she lived by herself she couldn't just 'study' all day cos there's usually a lot of upkeep and paperwork stuff to do, escaping into children's fantasies, dressing like a child etc). As some other commentators pointed out, she doesn't need to spend every hour and day studying but does it as a choice (or coping mechanism?)

I started watching her videos because it was genuinely interesting and now I hang around cos I'm just so curious about her lifestyle. She is very easy to snark on as well and I do feel mean doing it but some of the stuff she does is so contrived it's hard not to -brushing your teeth and reading a book? That's the opposite of being efficient. I hope she can laugh with us at some of those quirks cos there's no way anyone should take themselves that seriously.

Reactions: 16
I wonder if she is trying to branch out - she posted the slow living video recently and asked people to comment whether they wanted to see more of that type of thing. Seems like she is award the brand is dying out and she needs to diversify.
I don't feel like it's even branching out in the true sense of the word - it's more like she's trying to 're-label' her videos to reflect a different 'theme', whilst still doing the same things she's always done.

this is majorly OT but it's something I've been thinking about. I doubt their dad tracks Martha as well (he might do when she's at home, but I get the impression he doesn't?), so why does he track Ruby on her walks? I know Martha is at uni and Ruby is currently studying from home, but it's something that I've always personally found strange. I guess it adds an element of safety to her walks, but still. Sorry if this has already been discussed!

Reactions: 4
this is majorly OT but it's something I've been thinking about. I doubt their dad tracks Martha as well (he might do when she's at home, but I get the impression he doesn't?), so why does he track Ruby on her walks? I know Martha is at uni and Ruby is currently studying from home, but it's something that I've always personally found strange. I guess it adds an element of safety to her walks, but still. Sorry if this has already been discussed!
I almost get the impression that Ruby asks him to, because she seems so nervous about doing things independently and hates to be far from home. Martha appears confident enough to not need that (shown by her moving back to uni, spending time with friends etc) whereas Ruby is afraid of leaving the security her parents provide.

Because Ruby wants him to track her. (At least that's the impression I got.)

Reactions: 2
I thought that too! I actually like Vee, her “write an essay in 4 hours” videos were very relatable and funny. She’s a very intelligent girl and i’m glad she got a book deal, she actually deserves it in comparison to someone like Ruby.
I WANT to like Vee but her lockdown rule breaking annoys me. Just like all the other influencers. At least Ruby hasn’t flagrantly broken it.

As for writing a book, I wonder if she’ll go to a publisher for the one she’s writing now. She occasionally mentions it but we never get any detail. Just hope it’s not Erimentha part 2: the head girl years 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I WANT to like Vee but her lockdown rule breaking annoys me. Just like all the other influencers. At least Ruby hasn’t flagrantly broken it.

As for writing a book, I wonder if she’ll go to a publisher for the one she’s writing now. She occasionally mentions it but we never get any detail. Just hope it’s not Erimentha part 2: the head girl years 🥴
I don’t follow her that closely so I didn’t realise she was so ignorant in that sense! :( disappointing

If ruby does bring out another book she can scrap the Erimenthalalala crap and title the book properly: Ruby Bones Autobiography

Reactions: 8
OT but regarding Vee I was quite shocked
how many people seem to love her? Yes, she’s
better at portaying a more balanced lifestyle, her life-journey is impressive and I do appreciate that she actually wants to make a change but she has broken lockdown rules (probably more often than we know) and at the end of the day she is an influencer who’s calculating and presents a persona online.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
OT but regarding Vee I was quite shocked
how many people seem to love her? Yes, she’s
better at portaying a more balanced lifestyle, her life-journey is impressive and I do appreciate that she actually wants to make a change but she has broken lockdown rules (probably more often than we know) and at the end of the day she is an influencer who’s calculating and presents a persona online.
Is the lifestyle she portrays that balanced though? So many of her videos are titled things like ‘major essay stress, writing 1,000,000 words in 30 minutes!!!!!!’ (I’m joking, but still ...) I get that she’s probably doing that to seem relatable but I honestly doubt that either Oxford or Harvard give you just a few hours to write an essay. The fact that she’s always posting videos like this suggests that she’s not that well organised, which is a surprise given that she’s now studying at a post-grad level. She’s possibly going to be entering the world of work/internships soon and no boss will be impressed by a ‘writing my business report in one hour!!!’ video.

I honestly don’t think that there are that many StudyTubers who are actually that balanced or a good influence. Maybe PaigeY who seems to have made a sensible decision to take a decent job when it was offered and seems to be growing up in a relatable way - I thought some of her recent videos about how she doesn’t love her job but she’s getting on with it are something a lot of the other StudyTubers could do with watching. Most of the others just seem odd, especially at the moment when a lot of the content opportunities that made them interesting aren’t there.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Is the lifestyle she portrays that balanced though? So many of her videos are titled things like ‘major essay stress, writing 1,000,000 words in 30 minutes!!!!!!’ (I’m joking, but still ...) I get that she’s probably doing that to seem relatable but I honestly doubt that either Oxford or Harvard give you just a few hours to write an essay. The fact that she’s always posting videos like this suggests that she’s not that well organised, which is a surprise given that she’s now studying at a post-grad level. She’s possibly going to be entering the world of work/internships soon and no boss will be impressed by a ‘writing my business report in one hour!!!’ video.

I honestly don’t think that there are that many StudyTubers who are actually that balanced or a good influence. Maybe PaigeY who seems to have made a sensible decision to take a decent job when it was offered and seems to be growing up in a relatable way - I thought some of her recent videos about how she doesn’t love her job but she’s getting on with it are something a lot of the other StudyTubers could do with watching. Most of the others just seem odd, especially at the moment when a lot of the content opportunities that made them interesting aren’t there.
i’ve always felt eve cornwell was quite well balanced!

Reactions: 10
I almost get the impression that Ruby asks him to, because she seems so nervous about doing things independently and hates to be far from home. Martha appears confident enough to not need that (shown by her moving back to uni, spending time with friends etc) whereas Ruby is afraid of leaving the security her parents provide.
Yeah, I think it's a more extreme version of letting someone know onevs whereabouts before going on a date or meeting someone one doesn't know yet... and if I were to go solo hiking fa out, I might also consider having a trusted person track my phone lest I fall and get injured in a place where I can't easily get help or have reliable phone service.

For a short walk in an area her parents seem to be familiar with (so they would know where to look for her if she were to not return from a walk) it seems sort of unnecessary. But I think the sentiment isn't one of letting her dad surveil her, it's just a fancier version of making sure somebody knows where you are.

Reactions: 1

I feel like that’s a bit too overly critical about her essay videos - I for one find them really relatable bc even though I’m organised, there will always be essays now and then where I’ve forgotten about them or procrastinated till the last minute so her vids are actually quite realistic in that way. She’s pretty well organised otherwise and I’m not surprised that she falls behind on a few of her essays when she’s doing so many brilliant things to do with her platforms like empowered by Vee outside of class work. It’s the opposite of Ruby’s constant and almost unrealistic levels of organisation

Reactions: 8
I didn't know Vee has been breaking lockdown? Can someone provide more details? Sorry I know this is ruby's thread, just being nosy for a second!

Why is ruby so OBSESSED with labels? It's a to-do list, not an "AESTHETIC" work of art??? You're decluttering, who cares if you're following "minimalistic" guidelines? Just be reasonable with what you want and don't want, jesus, i'm not a maximalist if I eat spicy food and take a massive tit afterwards, am I?

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Her most recent video whilst decluttering her room she mentioned that some of her clothes where 9 years old... so she’s still wearing clothes that she’s had since she was a preteen.

I’m a really petite person but I 1. wouldn’t wear the clothes i wore as a child?! because it’s weird and absolutey wouldn’t be my style now and 2. still woudlnt be able to fit in them.

Her flexing that she’s had clothes since her childhood it’s just so weird and just adds to her weird obsession of not wanting to growing up. Not to mention the fact so many of her outfits are just straight up unflattering on her.

Reactions: 12
I didn't know Vee has been breaking lockdown? Can someone provide more details? Sorry I know this is ruby's thread, just being nosy for a second!

Got her hair done illegally before her comeback video etc

Reactions: 3
Her most recent video whilst decluttering her room she mentioned that some of her clothes where 9 years old... so she’s still wearing clothes that she’s had since she was a preteen.

I’m a really petite person but I 1. wouldn’t wear the clothes i wore as a child?! because it’s weird and absolutey wouldn’t be my style now and 2. still woudlnt be able to fit in them.

Her flexing that she’s had clothes since her childhood it’s just so weird and just adds to her weird obsession of not wanting to growing up. Not to mention the fact so many of her outfits are just straight up unflattering on her.
I still have a few pieces (like the odd jumper etc.) that I had when I was 16 to 18, but I don't really wear them regularly - they are more for when I'm doing a messy activity (like painting or cleaning) and don't want to ruin my nicer clothes. It's not an achievement to say you still own them (especially when she has loads of newer clothes anyway, so it's not like she's holding on to them out of necessity), nor a 'goal' to be able to still fit into them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.