Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she should have stuck with theology/philosophy, it suited her better. Those kind of subjects require quite deep and critical thinking. She seemed more mature when she was on that course. Not that there's anything wrong with studying English, but it's like she likes the 'aesthetic' of it rather than it actually being a passion. In fact, this is how she seems to think of everything - like literally everything is done for aesthetic purposes rather than personal enjoyment or happiness. It's kind of sad tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Oxford? :LOL:
Not sure how the difficulty of the application process differs between BA and MA but I didn't see much change in Ruby since she started uni (or more lik eI see she's changed for worse). The Oxford rejection didn't teach her anything. All she does is rewriting notes and play pretend Anne with and e.
It's pretty similar - most places you need to submit your transcripts, a letter of motivation/personal statement, and sometimes you need to submit an example of your academic writing, along with getting a few referees. The biggest difference is that there's no limit on the number of places you can apply to, so she could in theory apply to every university in the UK if she wanted to.

Reactions: 3
According to instagram she is currently rereading an Anne of Green Gables book 🙄

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Sorry for the rant, when I was a student I mentored first years (I mention this later), but that’s the context of why I got annoyed watching the essay video and hadn’t seen it until now 😂

Rewatching the essay video because I think I found her just after it so couldn’t remember it exactly. I think the main thing for me with the essay video was just, kid of the lack of awareness of the audience watching it. I mean how she jumps straight into it because she’d seen other people do it, fair enough, but those people do it with a heads up/context that their happiness or disappointment is within their expectations of their selves and not on that one mark as it should be taken for everyone, basically stating that if they’re disappointed with x Mark but you got it doesn’t automatically mean you should be disappointed to, it’s all within context that only you understand. I know not everyone likes disclaimers like that, but when your audience is built around study motivation and university, especially in a humanities subject where your writing is ultimately subjective (Eng Lit MA student over here so trust me I feel that), when her audience are likely in second year first year or younger, there’s a degree of responsibility even when you’re only in first year yourself. This is like the first thing I made sure to say when mentoring first year students in my second year.

the kicker for me is that the very first line of her description is “I wanted to show you my honest reaction to receiving this grade and I hope that it can be helpful/relatable if you are currently facing *failure* on some level” then saying you shouldn’t take chances in the video?!?! Ruby, you got a first year mark that’s normal, but she goes on and on about “bad grades” when it’s NOT!

context: I had a similar experience in third year where I was knocked down by getting a 2:2 in an essay that counted that I didn’t think I’d done anything differently for, yes I cried and felt a bit crap about itso I just want to say I get the emotion but the wording aroundit really hit the wrong way for me as someone who’s mentored first year students - a quick “it’s not the end of the world if you get a bad mark” at the end really isn’t going to stick against the rest of it

Reactions: 11
She's so arrogant even when she's disappointed in herself. 'I understood this material inside out.' The whole thing about 'taking a chance' and basically not doing what was asked of her. I think she thinks it makes herself look good that she's somehow working on a level above everyone else and doesn't follow the instructions.
I saw a lot of people on the first year of my uni course trying to stand out and be original by "taking chances" on essays and they were all pretty privileged people who expected it to pay off by dint of them being special and naturally talented and I definitely see that in Ruby too.

Reactions: 19
I saw a lot of people on the first year of my uni course trying to stand out and be original by "taking chances" on essays and they were all pretty privileged people who expected it to pay off by dint of them being special and naturally talented and I definitely see that in Ruby too.
To be fair my uni encouraged us to take chances and risks with essays in our first two years, because they didn’t count towards the final grade, and they actively wanted us to experiment and try new things when it wouldn’t damage our grades. Now we’re still encouraged by the English department to be creative in our responses to questions and prompts. I don’t know whether that would be the case with Theology and Philosophy, but if it was I’m sure she felt that she was following the advice. In that case when she got a 2:2 she was probably thinking ‘but I did what the teacher told me to, what do you mean i don’t automatically get top marks?’, forgetting that doing it isn’t enough, you have to do it well...

Reactions: 8
To be fair my uni encouraged us to take chances and risks with essays in our first two years, because they didn’t count towards the final grade, and they actively wanted us to experiment and try new things when it wouldn’t damage our grades. Now we’re still encouraged by the English department to be creative in our responses to questions and prompts. I don’t know whether that would be the case with Theology and Philosophy, but if it was I’m sure she felt that she was following the advice. In that case when she got a 2:2 she was probably thinking ‘but I did what the teacher told me to, what do you mean i don’t automatically get top marks?’, forgetting that doing it isn’t enough, you have to do it well...
Exactly, like even in that case the reasoning is that even if you experiment and it goes wrong and you get a bad grade, it won't matter in the end. Ruby probably didn't fathom that the teacher's advice included the chance of getting a bad grade.
I think she didn't even fathom the chance of getting a low grade period. She's too used to being praised for everything and never being wrong. I don't think Ruby's parents disciplined her and her sister very much growing up so she wouldn't be used to being treated as less than perfect.

I don't think Ruby's parents disciplined her and her sister very much growing up so she wouldn't be used to being treated as less than perfect.
I think this is definitely true, and you can really see it in how both of them behave (Ruby obsessively trying to parent herself with unnecessary rules and regulations) and Martha being so self-consciously edgy and sometimes really rude to her family (remember that video where she asked her mum what her favourite sex position was?).

Reactions: 9
i had a friend in high school exactly like ruby. im no longer friends with her now as she was just plain bitchy behind closed doors.
she would preach all this stuff on social media, and act like a child infront of teachers and be teachers pet, but when it was just us and a few other friends she would just insult everyone walking by for no reason (slut shaming younger pupils etc).

she was also obsessed with 'cottagecore' and her insta feed was full of it with quotes from books which were not to be taken as positive ones (if you know what i mean).

she liked reading classics, poetry and also enjoyed writing. but... she would just randomly use big words all the time. she would never want to help me and my other friend in English Lit class, but if she was stuck on something WE HAD TO help her.

she applied to Cambridge and a few other unis for English Literature. she got an interview in Cambridge and got rejected. and im not surprised.
she ended up not talking to me and another girl for a few days?? as she was mad that we got accepted at all unis we applied to.

anyways, she just always has reminded me of Ruby, (omg i forgot to add she was obsessed with Hermione too) and i can just see her personality in her. i guess there isn't only one Ruby

Reactions: 15
I'm curious as to what she actually wrote about for that essay. For my degree subject (social sciences) we're very strongly encouraged to use original and creative ideas because the whole point of our field is to add original thought to it - I imagine it's like that for most humanities/social sciences subjects? Generally if you get a 2:2 or lower its because you didn't use enough references to back up your arguments so maybe it was that. Idk.

Reactions: 8
I'm curious as to what she actually wrote about for that essay. For my degree subject (social sciences) we're very strongly encouraged to use original and creative ideas because the whole point of our field is to add original thought to it - I imagine it's like that for most humanities/social sciences subjects? Generally if you get a 2:2 or lower its because you didn't use enough references to back up your arguments so maybe it was that. Idk.
Maybe she wrote a 'creative writing piece' rather than an essay 😂 I highly doubt she had a strong original argument.

She would've found Oxford SO HARD. Only roughly the top 25% of students get a first and it's so easy to get 2:2s in essays.

Reactions: 12
Buds sprouting in the garden, can’t wait to see what they hold inside! I mean smart money is on leaves of some kind, but you do you, RooBee. You do you.
I wrote something similar to that, when I was 10. For God’s sake, Ruby, you’re not a child anymore.

Reactions: 1
Maybe she wrote a 'creative writing piece' rather than an essay 😂 I highly doubt she had a strong original argument.

She would've found Oxford SO HARD. Only roughly the top 25% of students get a first and it's so easy to get 2:2s in essays.
Agreed! There is a big difference from getting a 1:1 at Oxbridge and a 1:1 at Exeter. I mean that in the nicest way possible too but it's true!

Yeah that’s not really true any more - it’s somewhere between 30-40%, some of which is obviously dependent on what college you’re at. That’s pretty similar to most other top unis in the UK, and actually higher than some. You also don’t have to be exceptionally intelligent to get firsts there, so much as you have to be hard working and efficient (admittedly not Ruby’s strong suit...). I think she would have struggled with the volume of work massively - having to write an essay every week, for it to be picked apart by your tutor, would have utterly destroyed her confidence - though maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing, given she’s currently unbearably arrogant. Plus you can’t spend your time writing and rewriting notes, and making 10 different to do lists, because there’s so much compulsory work every week. No way she could have coped with that.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
h o w 🤢
Not only her nails are chipped but her fingers and desk are dirty. What a slob.
Also her nail polish is always chipped off - if you can’t be bothered to redo the polish then maybe don’t paint them at all or at least remove it. Especially when social media is your job and people watch you and the close up of your nails. It’s disgusting and shows zero respect for her viewers.
01C1EFF4-44FD-4958-AD15-458FEA9026DA.jpeg

• Sick
Reactions: 14
Naaah they wouldn’t be slumming it in some spanish resort, if they were gonna visit Spain they’d go to one of the main cities and do expensive tit
Spain is chavvy, they'd go to the south of France or somewhere else more exclusive

Reactions: 5
Spain is chavvy, they'd go to the south of France or somewhere else more exclusive
Looooool wtf, I live in Spain and it’s not ‘chavvy’! Nice classism and generalisation of an entire country. Yes there are some resorts which are the typical brits abroad type places, but it’s a whole country with an incredibly diverse culture, in fact ruby actually did a travel vlog of her family going to Madrid smh.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.