Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I stand corrected - under 30% of students got firsts when I graduated from there, so it definitely seems to have increased year on year.....it's still tough to get a first there, Oxford takes some of the top students in the country and over half don't get a first. I agree definitely would've found the whole thing hard.
Yup, there's been massive grade inflation at basically all uk unis over the past decade I think - a first from Oxford/Cambridge was probably much more prestigious when you were there compared to now!
Not what I meant at all, I love travel but I know not everyone has the money to and we all have different priorities with our money. It was more of a comment of how with all the money and resources she and her family seem to have it seems quite telling that they don't appear to have gone anywhere except the most western influenced countries especially since she seems to idolise the Bucket List Family who travel all over the world. If I had all the money they seem to have I feel like I would have gone more places. I really think it would do Ruby some good to go somewhere in Asia or Africa which is a bit more out of her comfort zone.
I get what you mean with this. She definitely is really well travelled for her age, but it does say something about the family in general that they don't seem to have wanted to explore much outside of the Western world. I am incredibly lucky that, like Ruby, age 21 I've been able to travel much more than most people can, but honestly as I've gotten older I've become more and more grateful for the fact that my parents have chosen to go to places outside of the typical middle-class holiday destinations. Visiting places like South Africa, Botswana and Zambia has been SO beneficial for my world view in terms of learning about the world outside of Europe, and definitely influenced me to do stuff like seek out books and films from those places, which don't necessarily receive as much attention in the UK. Obviously it's not Ruby's fault - I would guess that the parents have the most say over holiday plans - but it does say something about the way she was probably raised. I've never got the sense she has much interest in the world outside of the UK/Europe/America.

Reactions: 6
I don’t think she’s re-reading Anne of the Island, I’m pretty sure she had only read Anne of Green Gables originally and has finally moved on. She won’t like it of course, Anne is grown up.

Her Iceland trip was likely a prolonged layover on the way to/from North America, Icelandair have this deal where you can add up to three days to your trip to stay in Iceland. I’ll be surprised if she’s done more than the Blue Lagoon, possibly the Golden Circle tour. (I’ve been several times, and can’t wait to go again to meet more sheep and horses and puffins and whales lol, but the Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle are very much worth it if you’re visiting for the first time!)

oooooo new Ruby video, run run run

edit: she interviewed for and was offered a research internship, good for her!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I get the feeling that their mum was a bit similar to Martha when she was that she! Ruby definitely seems the most uptight member of the family, for whatever reason.
Omg agreed! Have always thought maybe it’s an Ab Fab setup lol like wee hermione’s upstairs in the everlasting boater rereading terf rowling’s CV for the 900th time while everyone else is swinging from the chandeliers downstairs in the mansion

• Haha
Reactions: 18
So in her latest video Ruby walks through some nearby woods to go and post a letter - don't they literally have a postbox on their estate?

I'm happy that she got the internship this break into the adult word might be what she needs but I do wish she had washed her hair before the interview

Reactions: 11
Woah she got 85 on her coursework essay! Isn’t that publishable by uni standards?

Reactions: 4
I'm not surprised she's got it, given that the uni has paid her to do ads for them before...

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I'm not surprised she's got it, given that the uni has paid her to do ads for them before...
I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she must have done a good job this time haha

Although it is a little fishy that she promotes her uni online and is paid to do it. But maybe their work is anonymous and there's no way they can favour her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Literally if I was a student at Exeter I'd be putting in a complaint, I don't care how petty that sounds but it says a lot about the state of the education sector when universities are paying their students to do ads for them 🤢

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Not what I meant at all, I love travel but I know not everyone has the money to and we all have different priorities with our money. It was more of a comment of how with all the money and resources she and her family seem to have it seems quite telling that they don't appear to have gone anywhere except the most western influenced countries especially since she seems to idolise the Bucket List Family who travel all over the world. If I had all the money they seem to have I feel like I would have gone more places. I really think it would do Ruby some good to go somewhere in Asia or Africa which is a bit more out of her comfort zone.
It must be a lovely life to grow up that privileged, living in a gorgeous house in the country, getting to travel multiple times a year (and having parents that are willing to dote on you). IIRC shortly after filming herself crying over the essay in her first year they went to Copenhagen and were staying in a really nice flat and went to an opera. Tbh we were lucky to get to go to a cheap holiday park so it's interesting sometimes to see these clearly privileged youtubers like Ruby, Jack, Eve getting to travel so much and do so many things. I would love to see Ruby go to Africa or Asia lol, though the culture shock would maybe be too much for her. I can't imagine her doing something like Jade and volunteering
Literally if I was a student at Exeter I'd be putting in a complaint, I don't care how petty that sounds but it says a lot about the state of the education sector when universities are paying their students to do ads for them 🤢
If they're going to pay a student to do an ad for them, wouldn't they at least want someone more representative of the student population and well rounded than weird Ruby who pretends to be Anne of Green Gables half the time?

Reactions: 11
Woah she got 85 on her coursework essay! Isn’t that publishable by uni standards?
People throw this phrase around a lot. As an academic, there is a difference between something being of publishable quality and ACTUALLY getting it published. There are so many hoops to jump through.

Reactions: 38
People throw this phrase around a lot. As an academic, there is a difference between something being of publishable quality and ACTUALLY getting it published. There are so many hoops to jump through.
I think the idea is that your writing is of quality to be published, not that the essay you wrote is automatically ready to be published, but that it shows the potential for publication with some tweaks, probably. At least that's what I've been told. Getting published is HARD but getting a mark in the 80s is really amazing and I'd never put someone down for it, especially in humanities where its very difficult to achieve.

Reactions: 18
I got 85% in my last essay and didn’t once think it was publishing standard. Was just like “yay” then onto the next! Not sure what I did to deserve the mark 😅

Reactions: 14
I got 85% in my last essay and didn’t once think it was publishing standard. Was just like “yay” then onto the next! Not sure what I did to deserve the mark 😅
It is a little weird from an outside perspective that the scale does not actually go up to 100%.

Reactions: 9
It is a little weird from an outside perspective that the scale does not actually go up to 100%.
The UK marking system is really weird tbh, its especially confusing for international students when they get 70 and assume its a bad grade when it's the highest grade boundary you can get.

On another note, I've noticed that Ruby talks a LOT about 80+ grades being publishable, like she puts way too much thought into it. Maybe that's why shes upset when even when she gets a 70 something, because she thinks that means it's 'not publishable' and therefore not good enough. Like you're an undergraduate student, not everything you write needs to be of publishing quality. I'm a postgraduate student and I don't think any of the tit I write is good enough to be published...

Reactions: 21
Didn't address her IG controversy, so I guess she's going to ignore it forever then.

Reactions: 16
Didn't address her IG controversy, so I guess she's going to ignore it forever then.
Yep. She's just hoping that people are gonna forget about it. I actually meant to write a comment on her video about it.

She looked very exhausted in the video, which was filmed on Holocaust memorial day. I'm not conviced she was ill and think she was actually taking the backlash really badly. I don't think her admiting to her faults really fits in with her youtube cottagecore x dark academia aesthetic unfortunately

Reactions: 19
Sorry this is off topic but I just remembered her saying her parents took her to Glastonbury as kid and it's really thrown me because I just cant imagine her at any music festival

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I think she said that her score was for a presentation, rather than an essay (the one she wore the top hat for??).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.