Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

newtoyou

VIP Member
Lolita was one of my favorite books when I was in uni, not sure if I would like it as much now that I understand the world a little better. I’m aro/ace and I don’t know if that has anything to do with it, but I generally find sex scenes just super boring these days. It’s all just friction to me 😂 My main objection with CMBYN was precisely that, it was a snoozefest with pretentious young people at the center.
Nothing to do with ruby but I just love seeing other aro people on here 👋💛

Reactions: 3

wastelandbaby

Yeah it's so clear the people acting like Ruby is not clearly very wealthy are children with no concept of how money or the economy works. You know how when you're 11-12 you think you're going to be married with a nice house in the suburbs and 2.5 kids by the age of 20? Or that you're going to be able to travel all over the world at 18?
Yeah - Ruby doesn't really address her privilege in this manner. I'm not saying that she has to discuss her finances in depth, but in her studio flat video she didnt even address the price.

It is a thing, though. Watch any history documentary on the BBC and you can pretty much guarantee you’ll see Lucy Worsley wandering around an old house in a fancy frock.
Theres a difference between Ruby making a well researched video about the Victorian working class morning routines and talking through it with evidence ... vs acting it all out, charcoal on her cheeks, in her mini mansion in the countryside.

And we all know she'd do the second.
Yeah definitely, I do wonder whether Ruby has taken inspiration from Lucy Worsley, and possibly the documentaries Ruth Goodman used to do. The way Ruby talks about the past is so romanticised though (I'm thinking back to that Instagram post asking who else would like to live in the 19th century) that I can't see her stepping back and addressing truly how a lot of these people would have lived.

3calico3

VIP Member
Has she talked about student finance before? Obviously she's rich enough to not need a maintenance loan but do her parents pay tuition as well? The concept of being rich enough to pay tuition upfront is so abstract to me 😂😭
She mentioned once that she at least gets the maintenance loan (no words about the tuition fee loan), but she doesn't qualify for the income-assessed portion of it as your parents earn over the maximum threshold to qualify for it.

Griftwood

VIP Member
She gave a book a one star rating in goodreads! And said it felt too young for her!
Say, Roobee, how busy are you if you have time to keep up with everything that's said on here?
She also gave Anne of the Island 5 stars and made sure to mention it was her favorite Anne book, which ”captured the wistful sorrows of growing up.” Which is actually a good way to describe it. I hope she gets all the way up to Rilla of Ingleside, that’s my actual favorite of the books.

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
Her dad won’t give a fuck, will claim it’s a phase she’ll grow out of, they have the money to bail her out and her future job prospects aren’t likely to be affected
Seems like immoral crimes run in the family then
I really wanna know more about the dad, he never seems to feature in any of the videos. I guess hes too busy earning money to bankroll all of them tho tbf

newtoyou

VIP Member
Update on the JK stuff, here’s what someone said they discussed:

“the main discussion was because apparently there’s a new tv series coming out (most people thought it was unnecessary and a money grab) and that if you want Harry Potter books or merch you should buy second hand or from unofficial sellers so no more money goes to JK”

Annoyed I left the call now, would’ve liked to see if Ruby contributed to this part

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Why not?! Unless they were told they couldn’t I suppose...
I know nothing about how UK unis operate so I have no idea why she would think that. Tbh I found it pretty odd too, it seemed something that could easily be sorted by emailing the lecturer and explaining the coincidence. She had been planning her essay before that seminar after all.

Lola123

VIP Member
You can get onto some masters with a 2:2 :) hopefully you'll find one

I don't really know what popular job options are for English students. It's quite a vague degree so you could probably get a lot of jobs that are the type that just want you to have a degree and aren't bothered what it's in. But I feel like Ruby would think herself above a lot of jobs lol
Teachers!! You can become a teacher with a 2:2 one of my best friends did!

xekatinaz

Is it the norm in uk to keep photos in the bathroom?

I think Ruby need to shoot from better angles. Most of her photos are taken from a higher angle and that isn’t doing her any favours. I noticed her hair have gotten pretty long but it’s hard to notice when she looks like a hydrocephalus

Attachments

• Sick

Randomer123

Is it me, or did she stumble over her words SO much in that video? She seemed really unsure about what she was saying,.

GoinDowntown

It took me so long to read this book, it's a bit of a slow starter but once I got over the fact the characters are all meant to be pretentious and unlikeable I enjoyed it a lot more, it's a good book but not as amazing as everyone says honestly if it wasn't seen as this dark academia bible I don't think it would be getting the hype it currently has. It's a bit odd people are modelling themselves on the characters though, I thought they were meant to show that money and power corrupts.
I'm surprised Ruby has read it though its quite graphic not something I'd have thought was her cup of tea. Does anybody know what she rated it?
I don't think she ever finished it

kbjhguih

VIP Member
Theres so many websites offering this, this is one----
I saw someone do this on tiktok the other day, literally pay £25 for a tiny plot of protected land to become a Lord/Lady :ROFLMAO:

Edit - I didn't scroll down as see everyone else discussing it, agree it's tacky :ROFLMAO:
😭 Me and my best friend did this for each other a couple of years ago as a joke, I wouldn’t take it seriously though.

• Haha

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
it's weird to imagine Ruby on a study abroad term. i don't know if this is a common experience but when i did mine in France there was a lot more emphasize on the travelling and partying experience than the studying part. i found the classes to have a lot less work than i was used to and most of the international students i met (especially those on erasmus) definitely saw it as a semester to party. it was tons of fun for me but i don't see ruby vibing with that environment
I've never actually studied abroad myself (not for a prolonged period of time like a semester anyway) but I know a lot of foreign students on Erasmus at my uni and I agree that the socializing and "experience" part in general is emphasized over studying. Which makes sense, I mean, if you wanted to only study and focus on that there wouldn't really be a reason to go abroad? Like, I can study at home too, if I'm doing a semester abroad it's because I want to experience the country I'm staying in and socializing with people.

The different amount of work that you noticed might also be due to how university works. Idk about France but in my country for example we usually have zero compulsory work during the semester because everything depends on your final exam and that is the only grade you get. Of course people usually try to stay on top of the lectures during the semester too because then it's easier to study during the exam session but that's it.