Ruby Granger #5 Counting Her Ad Money With Closed, Grateful Eyes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Criticizing the way Ruby and her sister dressed as a child seems a bit OTT? A lot of kids are super scruffy - they're young and usually out playing or making mischief or whatever - I'd be more worried if the two of them looked like dolls tbqh

Reactions: 15
I agree.
Also, interested in your opinion of Jack. I’ve gotta be honest I don’t find him particularly problematic but maybe that’s just because I’m judging him on a scale of Ruby/Jade. 😂
Yup he’s definitely not anywhere near as problematic as Ruby or Jade! I think he does have a lack of awareness of his privilege, and I remember him going abroad at some point last year - I think to Europe - when the pandemic was going on, which massively pissed me off. Also I think he’s desperately trying to be an influencer which just irritates me 😂 definitely not as messed up as Ruby or Jade, but honestly I most studytubers are problematic in some way or another

Reactions: 6
I agree.
Also, interested in your opinion of Jack. I’ve gotta be honest I don’t find him particularly problematic but maybe that’s just because I’m judging him on a scale of Ruby/Jade. 😂
Jack also has a thread here by the way :)! If you’re interested in reading about him more - not as long as Ruby or Jades which I suppose says something...

Reactions: 5
Yes agreed! I absolutely have my issues with Jack Edwards (similar levels of unaware privilege), but when it comes to books I’m entirely unsurprised he got a first in English - and from Durham, one of the best English courses in the UK. He reads a far more diverse set of literature, and talks about what he’s read in a far more interesting and analytical way. I also feel like he isn’t aiming for the same audience as Ruby - his videos feel like they’re targeted at people around his age/uni students at least, so when he discusses books he isn’t hamstrung into needing to simplify for 13 year olds, which I think Ruby is.
I'm on the fence about Jack, but I did use his essay planning structure for my dissertation and found it incredibly helpful. Whereas I've never taken anything inspirational away from Ruby's videos ...

Reactions: 4
Yup he’s definitely not anywhere near as problematic as Ruby or Jade! I think he does have a lack of awareness of his privilege, and I remember him going abroad at some point last year - I think to Europe - when the pandemic was going on, which massively pissed me off. Also I think he’s desperately trying to be an influencer which just irritates me 😂 definitely not as messed up as Ruby or Jade, but honestly I most studytubers are problematic in some way or another
If I had to rank studytubers according to how problematic they are, Jack and Ruby would be in the same tier (and Jade would be a whole other league). They both did the Holocaust Memorial Ad. Ruby fetishizes productivity but Jack massively pollutes the planet by taking weekend trips to foreign countries (during the pandemic too, he went to Berlin last summer). Gonna be honest I find him extremely cringy and think he's a massive twit. He has a thread on here tho, you should check it out lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Criticizing the way Ruby and her sister dressed as a child seems a bit OTT? A lot of kids are super scruffy - they're young and usually out playing or making mischief or whatever - I'd be more worried if the two of them looked like dolls tbqh
I think it’s more that ‘middle-class mucky’ thing that people get away with because they’re wealthier - the dirty home, the scruffy kids and dog hair everywhere. If someone from a lower-income background lived like that people would be very critical, but when the scruffy kids are dressed in Boden, the unwashed mugs are Emma Bridgewater, the house is bigger and the dogs are pedigree then it isn’t viewed in the same way. It’s a bit hypocritical especially as a lot of the people living like that would be the first to look down their noses at someone living in the same way on a Council Estate.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I know "study with me" type videos are hugely popular but I have noticed for a studytuber, she doesn't actually make many videos where she provides tips on how to study effectively, uni/school tips, exam preparation videos etc which I find to be a bit unusual. I just had a quick scroll through her videos and based on titles, there's only one video that could be classified as that within the last year (how to write first class essays). I would have thought study tips would be highly requested?

Also just had a look at Emma Bridgewater mugs (not a thing where I live) and god, they're expensive. I don't know whether this is the Australia Tax (everything is more expensive here) but $42 AUD for a mug??? I understand they're handmade but geez.

Reactions: 20
I know "study with me" type videos are hugely popular but I have noticed for a studytuber, she doesn't actually make many videos where she provides tips on how to study effectively, uni/school tips, exam preparation videos etc which I find to be a bit unusual. I just had a quick scroll through her videos and based on titles, there's only one video that could be classified as that within the last year (how to write first class essays). I would have thought study tips would be highly requested?

Also just had a look at Emma Bridgewater mugs (not a thing where I live) and god, they're expensive. I don't know whether this is the Australia Tax (everything is more expensive here) but $42 AUD for a mug??? I understand they're handmade but geez.
Yes exactly. You watch her study but don't learn how to study.

Reactions: 6
I swear at this point she's only doing these videos to get praise for her amazing "acting" skills from her minions :LOL: She looked so proud of herself when play pretending being cold and wrapping herself in a blanket.

Other than that, slobbiness as always (their house and her personal hygiene always gross me out) and zero effort when it comes to research, accuracy and the background. Didn't she only refer to like one book? How on earth did she decide she's enough prepared to film this kind of video. It annoys me so much that there are so many actually talented youtubers who do their research and have an actual knowledge on the topic and put lots of care and attention to detail in their videos but don't have even a comparable amount of views as Ruby. She doesn't deserve it even though she believes she does.

Also I think she took some ideas for the video from this thread - very original Ruby 🙃 Oh and while you're reading it, your acting s u c k s, and also,care to elaborate on how you're gonna spend the Holocaust ad money maybe?😊

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Totally, I think her viewers might actually benefit from videos like that - how to take notes, how to prepare for exams, how to write essays, how to deal with burnout or stress or mental health issues related to university, tips and essentials for first year students, how to decide what to study in university, how to plan what to do after university, alternative routes if university isn't for you, her strategies to study English literature and analyse books...
But she doesn't really talk much about that. Being a former head girl you'd think she'd really embrace the role of 'older sister/more experienced student' and try to provide guidance and advice for her young audience.

Reactions: 13
Totally, I think her viewers might actually benefit from videos like that - how to take notes, how to prepare for exams, how to write essays, how to deal with burnout or stress or mental health issues related to university, tips and essentials for first year students, how to decide what to study in university, how to plan what to do after university, alternative routes if university isn't for you, her strategies to study English literature and analyse books...
But she doesn't really talk much about that. Being a former head girl you'd think she'd really embrace the role of 'older sister/more experienced student' and try to provide guidance and advice for her young audience.
Yeah, at the moment she seems stuck in a rut with videos where she's unsure how best to keep her audience? I think mixing the history stuff and fun roleplay type things with some actual study tips rather than boring vlogs would be the best way to help her fans tbqh

Reactions: 4
I think videos like that would be hugely beneficial to so many of her viewers who are young and, widely generalising here, a large amount seem to come from developing economies. I had the privilege of going to study day camps when I was in high school both in year 7 (during the holidays it was day camps, mostly tennis, or my grandparents for childcare lol) and in my final year of schooling and found them SO useful as I had never actually been taught how to take notes or how to study effectively or what way of studying was best for me at school. However, so many people don't have those kind of opportunities available to them especially in developing economies where education and doing well academically can be extremely important to their families' futures.

Edited to Add: I think study tip videos especially relating to online learning would be so useful for her viewers atm. Maybe a whole series on how to deal with online learning in relation to testing, studying, staying motivated, coping with stress etc.?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I agree.
hes the only 'studytuber' who's book videos i can bare. i think he really has a great interest in reading and i love his videos where he reads different styles of books etc. he doesn't use 'big' words like Ruby does unless its to describe something which relates to it, and he usually explains the definition of that word after which i love.
i know he's had some backlash as i've read his thread a few times, but outside of that, his book videos i love.

maybe ruby could learn from him in that sense.

whenever ruby does those videos where we're meant to learn from them, i never do. she makes everything seem so complicated by constantly changing the camera angle, or using these big words and it completely throws you off.

Reactions: 7
I think it’s more that ‘middle-class mucky’ thing that people get away with because they’re wealthier - the dirty home, the scruffy kids and dog hair everywhere. If someone from a lower-income background lived like that people would be very critical, but when the scruffy kids are dressed in Boden, the unwashed mugs are Emma Bridgewater, the house is bigger and the dogs are pedigree then it isn’t viewed in the same way. It’s a bit hypocritical especially as a lot of the people living like that would be the first to look down their noses at someone living in the same way on a Council Estate.
Exactly if they lived on a council estate looking like that people would be calling the mum a woman and every other name under the sun

Reactions: 11
I just feel like, obviously the dad is still working, but wtf does the mum do all day?? She’s clearly not working due to covid so why doesn’t she get on and clean some of this tit up
And what about Ruby and her sister? Why can't they clean up a bit?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.